cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2014 Big Horn Silverado still in shop

rayeckles
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Big Horn 2014 that has a major 12 v short, The unit is with the dealer, they have it for going on 10 days and they cannot find the open short going thru the unit. They have even contacted Heartland and they cannot find the solution. I am just *****ing. Sorry
I was to use it for the New Year for 2 weeks with a group of fellow RVers. Do not know what to do.
19 REPLIES 19

peaches_cream
Explorer
Explorer
rayekles,

Be sure to let us know when your new replacement arrives.

jims1
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, let me rephrase my answer. It would be easy to find the short, string and splice some new wire into the underbelly and call it fixed. But on a new from the factory RV, who wants that? Having been in the marine repair industry, its a pain to go behind others trying to figure out what they did so you can repair the latest issue.
Volvo dually Pickup
DRV Memphis
Me, Alie, and Salie
Fulltiming

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
A competent tech with a signal generator and tracer should be able to trace it down.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

Duck
Explorer
Explorer
I have learned over the years that the after the sale service is as important as the sale itself. Should not be that way. There are some dealers I would not buy from even if there price is a cheaper.
Don
08-FORD F350 PSD
13 Bighorn 3055RL {For Sale}

B_Sjulestad
Explorer II
Explorer II
kmbelt wrote:
jims1 wrote:
Time for it to go back to the factory. The dealers workers will do more damage removing trim and parts than anything. if its supposed to be a new unit, insist on a NEW unit, not one that has been torn apart and reassembled.

X2

A Brand new 2014 model with those issues, they need to replace with another ASAP if you ask me. I would demand it.

X3
You paid good $$ for new so it should be new. Seems like they are never the same after those yahoos tear them apart trying to fix something.
Bob & Dianne
2016 GMC Denali 3500HD 4x4 DRW D/A
2013 Cedar Creek 36ckts
Emmy,Sassy and Flower our 4 legged kids

Softballdad
Explorer
Explorer
I would contact Heartland Customer Service directly to get satisfaction since the dealer hasn't been much help.
JOB 1 '08 F-350 4X4 LARIAT CC 6.4 DRW 4.10
B&W COMPANION 5TH WHEEL HITCH
EDGE INSIGHT GAUGE CLUSTER
FORD MOBILE EASE HANDS FREE SYSTEM
08 HEARTLAND BIGHORN 3670RL

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
CANAMKID wrote:
There are a lot of screws and staples in a trailer. Take it back to the factory
or better yet tell them to build you a new one and deliver it and take the
junk one.
Get real...Nobody will do that...

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

CANAMKID
Explorer
Explorer
There are a lot of screws and staples in a trailer. Take it back to the factory
or better yet tell them to build you a new one and deliver it and take the
junk one.
CanAmKid

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
kmbelt wrote:
jims1 wrote:
Time for it to go back to the factory. The dealers workers will do more damage removing trim and parts than anything. if its supposed to be a new unit, insist on a NEW unit, not one that has been torn apart and reassembled.

X2

A Brand new 2014 model with those issues, they need to replace with another ASAP if you ask me. I would demand it.
Ain't gonna happen. If the shop would be willing to hire somebody with some knowledge this could easily be fixed in less than a day. There is nothing complicated about 12 volt circuitry. Maybe they should bring in a GOOD automotive tech that specializes in electrical for a day to resolve this issue. Just not that complicated if you know what you're doing..

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
You have multiple 12V circuits, should be pretty easy to pull all the fuses and starting checking each line to see which line has the short. If there are multiple lines shorted (per the 90% down) then there is a major problem somewhere. Wires crushed under the frame, by a slide, etc. If that's the case the Factory is the only ones with the knowledge to fix or replace it.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

kmbelt
Explorer
Explorer
jims1 wrote:

X2

2014 Ram 2500, 6.4 Hemi, CC, 4x4
2010 Puma 259RBSS

jims1
Explorer
Explorer
Volvo dually Pickup
DRV Memphis
Me, Alie, and Salie
Fulltiming

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Turbo Diesel Dude wrote:
I vote with "Old Guy".

X2

A good tech with an Ohm meter should be able to trace it down.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Turbo_Diesel_Du
Explorer
Explorer
I vote with "Old Guy".
charles weidman