cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2016 Mobile Suite 38 RSSA Queen vs King Bed

tarheel2
Explorer
Explorer
If you have the queen bed version can you remove the queen bed mattress and replace it with the king mattress? Or are the slide outs a different width that would prohibit this changeover?
20 REPLIES 20

mr176
Explorer
Explorer
The slide measures 76" exactly, but about an inch narrower between the window mouldings. I could possibly shove a 76" King in there, but was wondering what the photo was because it looks pretty tight with all the bedding on. I think the 72" would be much easier to live with.
2021 F450 CC Platinum 4x4 6.7 DRW Hensley TS3
2016 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA
2014 Lance 992

retispcsi
Explorer
Explorer
We have the king and the photo looks like Rusty's. Why not just measure the space and see if it would fit.
2015 Mobile Suites 38 RSSA. 2014 Ram CC DRW 4x4 60 gal RDS Aisin 4:10.
DW, Shadow, Remington and Ron. Living the good life till the next one arrives.

mr176
Explorer
Explorer
I'm considering ordering the King night stands that mount on the front of the slide too. Ours only has shelves inside the slide (no drawer or cabinet underneath) so they're not too intrusive. The Queen definitely gives you a lot of room to move around the bed.
2014 Lance 992

golf_bears
Explorer
Explorer
We just ordered a new 2017 MS. We requested a queen size bed but with the king size night stands mounted to the front face of the slide. No side wall shelves. This will give us the room we need to replace the sheets and make the bed without having to crawl on the bed.

mr176
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks!
2014 Lance 992

azjeffh
Explorer
Explorer
mr176 wrote:
Is your King mattress a 72" wide "rv" King or a true 76" King? We bought a used 38RSSA with the Queen setup and the slide measures right at 76". I was wondering if a true king could be shoved in there.

Measures 72"
Jeff
Wonderful wife Robin
2016 F350 PSD Dually
2016 DRV 38RSSA

mr176
Explorer
Explorer
azjeffh wrote:
Ours was built Feb '16, and this is what our king looks like. I know there were some changes made from some built earlier.

width=600

Jeff,

Is your King mattress a 72" wide "rv" King or a true 76" King? We bought a used 38RSSA with the Queen setup and the slide measures right at 76". I was wondering if a true king could be shoved in there.

Mark
2014 Lance 992

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
azjeffh wrote:
Ours was built Feb '16, and this is what our king looks like. I know there were some changes made from some built earlier.

width=600

Cimmums12V98's slide appears to be wider than yours. But his is a
2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

rccdlh
Explorer
Explorer
RustyJC wrote:
The nightstands for a king are different than those for a queen, I suspect. Our "king" nightstands mount at the face of the bed slideout and leave the full width of the slideout available for the king mattress. You'd have to change out or eliminate the queen-type nightstands to use a king.

Rusty

But if one bought a rig with a queen bed, would it be possible to remove the existing nightstands in order to retro fit a king? If so, could it be a DIY project or would a pro be recommended?

azjeffh
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
I imagine it would be really hard to make the bed up with those night stands on both sides sticking out like that. Looks too far to reach without climbing on the bed.
Barney

Making the bed is not as much of an issue as changing the fitted sheet (about a 38" reach). The wife will climb on the bed to secure her corner while I have a far enough reach not to do so (at 5'10").

We thought about putting a plastic sheet underneath the mattress to allow it to be pulled out/ pushed in easily, but haven't yet done so.

Neither of us have climb on it when we make it daily.
Jeff
Wonderful wife Robin
2016 F350 PSD Dually
2016 DRV 38RSSA

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I imagine it would be really hard to make the bed up with those night stands on both sides sticking out like that. Looks too far to reach without climbing on the bed.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

azjeffh
Explorer
Explorer

width=600
Jeff
Wonderful wife Robin
2016 F350 PSD Dually
2016 DRV 38RSSA

missourijan
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know why the shelf or cabinet cannot be removed to install a king mattress. You may have to replace the plywood to add a wider piece for a king. Have you posted this on one of the suites owners sites? There's a Drv thread on the 5th wheel forums, on the Thor website and on Facebook. There's another website SOITC, suites owners international travel club, google for that.

tarheel2
Explorer
Explorer
Wish I could see the pictures you guys are referring to. I don't have a unit yet. I was considering one that has a queen.. I gotta have a king. The queen appears to have a shelf on both sides. Wonder if one or both could be removed to accommodate a king mattress? And yes I have seen stock pictures that show the shelves on the face of the slide on both sides.