cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

30 Amp vs 50 Amp

d-mac1
Explorer
Explorer
I've only boondocked to this point and going to some campgrounds beginning Saturday and the first one will only have 30 amp service. I've got a surge protector/power meter that I use at home when plugged in and will have that, but my question is, what will be the impact of only 30 amp service?

I'm guessing we'll be able to run the A/C (only have one unit), but not at same time as microwave. Hopefully we can run A/C and TV...or I'll hafta fire up the genny.

And what happens when you draw too much current?

Thanks.
2009 Ram 2500 CTD
2012 XLR Thunderbolt 300X10
11 REPLIES 11

lamopar
Explorer
Explorer
We are in the middle of a three week trip and have run AC and the micro with no problem on 30A. Lots of lights on but the fridge is on propane. I have not tried the coffee pot with the micro and fridge. We don't see any dimming of the lights when the AC cycles on like at home.

BobWanderer
Explorer
Explorer
Strabo wrote:
Remember.....More rv's on the campground service, the less amps for everyone, especially with all the ac's running. Dont be surprised that you dont have 30 amps to work with....

I know from experience.....

With that don't be surprised if you don't have 120V either.
Especially if your near the end of the "line".
I was surprised at the difference in voltage even at home with the A/C running, a 12 ga extension cord vs a 10 ga extension cord plugged directly into an outlet at the breaker box.
2008 GMC 2500HD 4X4 DMAX CC
2004 Thor Wanderer Wagon 247WTB
2006 TE450 Husky
2007 Rhino Sport Edition

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
Remember.....More rv's on the campground service, the less amps for everyone, especially with all the ac's running. Dont be surprised that you dont have 30 amps to work with....

I know from experience.....
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

ken07734
Explorer
Explorer
I can run everythng on 30 amp and only had it trip once when I used the hairdryer in the bathroom while the AC was on. It only tripped my TT circuit breaker and put me n battery.

d-mac1
Explorer
Explorer
Great guys. Sounds like we should be good. Appreciate it!
2009 Ram 2500 CTD
2012 XLR Thunderbolt 300X10

BobWanderer
Explorer
Explorer
I have 30A service and can run the "nuke" and the A/C as long as the compressor doesn't cycle on while the Micro is on.
2008 GMC 2500HD 4X4 DMAX CC
2004 Thor Wanderer Wagon 247WTB
2006 TE450 Husky
2007 Rhino Sport Edition

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I agree with the trial and error approach. The worse that will happen is you will trip the park breaker and have to go out and reset it. Been there, done that.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Keep the fridge and water on propane and you should be fine.

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
I can run both my 13500 and 15000 BTU A/C's as long as water heater is not on electric and no one uses microwave, even watch tv. I start one and then the other a few minutes later. Never had an issue, yet. Travel on.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

jf831024
Explorer
Explorer
One AC should be no problem, the microwave or coffe pot will cause the breaker to trip.
You can try both AC units but if it is hot and they are working hard that too will make it trip.
It's a trial & error thing.
Good luck!
2011 Fuzion Touring Edition 3
2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LTZ Duramax Diesel

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
You should be able to run both the AC and the microwave at the same time. Most rigs with 30 amp hookups/converters have both and run 'em at the same time without issue. But you won't be able to run the washer/dryer combo or the second AC (the one you don't have anyway). The worst that will happen is you'll have to go reset the circuit breaker on the power pedestal. AC and TV shouldn't overtax 30 amp service unless you have one h**l of a TV!

30 amp service should support without issue a 3,600 watt load, and when the compressor on that AC starts up, you'll get a momentary 2400 or so surge, so there's usually room for a 1000 or 1200 watt microwave to be running.

But don't even think about the AC, the microwave, AND an electric coffee pot at the same time.