cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

4 not connected black wires at power converter

Jonny637
Explorer
Explorer
Just purchase a 1995 coachmen 5th wheel. No power made me investigate breakers and fuses. All looked good so looked at power converter. There are 4 black wires that are not connected. Two have connectors attached but looks broken. Not sure if two of wires connect leaving other two to connect or vise versa. Converter is a magnatek 6345.
7 REPLIES 7

vicmic83
Explorer
Explorer
Jonny637 wrote:
Yes, that's the one. Mine even looks a little rougher. Instead of upgrading, what do you think of buying complete power center/charger/converter? Looks to be same price as upgrade.

I just upgraded my whole converter to a BPC4-60 Boondocker.... Patience.

You need to buy some Female Flag Disconnect Terminals. This is needed for the 12V wires to fit in the small channel above the fuse board. Hint... If you 12V White commons are on a separate bar, you need to run a heavy gauge wire to the back of the Converter Unit. The wire will be the same size and gauge as your the Wire from the Negative terminal on the battery. I found on my original Converter the factory had 14 gauge wire going to a 20 amp breaker instead of 12 gauge. Glad to walk you through it. I think I paid $215 at best converter. I think Camping world will install it for a price. If you want to talk give me a shout.

R, M & V

I put in a new tankless W/H also.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
It could be more work to change out the whole unit.
If your rig is equipped with a transfer switch it could be mounted to the back of the converter making it even harder.
I personally would go with the upgrade as long as the rest of the power center is in good shape.
Call Randy at Best converter. He has more insight and great answers.
This would be a good one. Check prices on Amazon.
Converter upgrade

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Jonny637
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, that's the one. Mine even looks a little rougher. Instead of upgrading, what do you think of buying complete power center/charger/converter? Looks to be same price as upgrade.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
On page three of this link shows an early Magnetek that had a relay and capacitor in lower section.
Is this more like yours? If yes, then you should look into an upgrade as shown in link.
Magnetek upgrade

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Jonny637
Explorer
Explorer
Mine looks nothing like that. Wiring diagram shows only one black wire. Those things always confused me. Wish I could post on here to show.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
This should help. You will need a multi-meter.
Manual

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
You'll need a voltmeter. Converter need 2 in (120v) and two out (12v). Usually.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman