cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5th wheel hitch rail problem

txbassmn
Explorer
Explorer
I have a problem with my 5th wheel hitch rail bowing in the middle when using my slider. Has anyone else had this problem and if so what can you do to prevent this from happening. Here are a couple of pics to show the problem.

Mark and Vickie, Texas
2013 F250 CC PSD FX4
2014 Evergreen Bay Hill 295RL
27 REPLIES 27

psford
Explorer
Explorer
Learjet wrote:
change the rails to new ones

Probably wouldn't be a bad idea, but I straightened mine added the center bolts ,and never had another issue, but as I said , I quit sliding it back hooked up, knowing what caused it in the first place.

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
change the rails to new ones
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

whiteeye42
Explorer
Explorer
looks to me that you need center bolts on the rails along with backing plates under the bed also you need to lube the rails and rollers they might be binding from all the rust causing it to pull on the front rail while sliding
Me,Wife two boys and two dogs
2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 DRW 6.7 cummins
2008 Jayco Eagle 341 RLQS 37' with B&W turnover ball & companion hitch
using rotochoks
add state map

tegu69
Explorer
Explorer
psford wrote:
Me Again wrote:
tegu69 wrote:
I've never owned a sliding hitch, but just looking at those pictures, wow. Most of the weight is going on the front rail unless you are pulling. It looks like a fulcrum point that would put an upward pressure on the rear rail when hitching, or going down a road that would cause chucking, or even if you are braking and putting more brake to your tv than the brakes of your fw. It would be interesting to see a pic of the top of the rail under each roller.

I think you are looking at the picture wrong. It is the front rail that is pulled up! Chris

I bent the same rail, its easier then you would think, As I said its probably not from towing, it from sliding his hitch back to hard.

Yeah, I agree, I was looking at it backward and it makes sense that it was probably sliding back too hard. My bad.

psford
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
tegu69 wrote:
I've never owned a sliding hitch, but just looking at those pictures, wow. Most of the weight is going on the front rail unless you are pulling. It looks like a fulcrum point that would put an upward pressure on the rear rail when hitching, or going down a road that would cause chucking, or even if you are braking and putting more brake to your tv than the brakes of your fw. It would be interesting to see a pic of the top of the rail under each roller.

I think you are looking at the picture wrong. It is the front rail that is pulled up! Chris

I bent the same rail, its easier then you would think, As I said its probably not from towing, it from sliding his hitch back to hard.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
tegu69 wrote:

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

tegu69
Explorer
Explorer

Carlos___Ranae
Explorer
Explorer
joegray wrote:
Boy , that would really concern me. I think I would try to get to a good hitch shop and let them have a look. Is it just the photo or are the slide rails bent also? IMHO I don't think I would trust those rails again,even if you straighten them out{weakens the metal}. Please let us know what you find out.

x2
Carlos & Ranae
2017 Seismic 4212
2012 Dodge Ram, 3500 Laramie Longhorn
4X4, DWR, Pullrite 18KSuperslide Hitch
2006 Yamaha Midnight Silverado, 1700 CC

psford
Explorer
Explorer
JesLookin wrote:
Awhile back on the old truck, when we converted the hitch to a slider there are 2 bolts included to install in the center of the rails. The original installation of the rails did not include the center bolts.

I never knew until later they were putting in center bolts, my rail kit did not come with them.

JesLookin
Explorer
Explorer
Awhile back on the old truck, when we converted the hitch to a slider there are 2 bolts included to install in the center of the rails. The original installation of the rails did not include the center bolts.
2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2014 Ram 3500 6.7L CTD, Crew Cab

Tennessee_Nomad
Explorer
Explorer
A good machine shop should be able to fabricate some kind of reinforcement under the bed of your truck to bolt up to.
2010 Keystone Montana 3455SA Quad Slide
4 Goodyear G614's
2017 RAM 3500 DRW 4x4 Crew Cab
6.7L Cummins® Turbo Diesel
B & W Companion Hitch
All Made In USA

*I chose the road less traveled... Now I don't know where the hell I am*

psford
Explorer
Explorer
Sturgeon-Phish wrote:
Something seems seriously wrong if the hitch is bending regardless if sliding or towing a camper that is within the capacity of the hitch.
As far as more bolts, if they are only going through the bed and not frame or other structural material I’d say you are wasting your time as the bed deck is only sheet metal at best.
Were the hitches installed properly?

You hit the end of the that slider hard enough with 10-13K when sliding back I can guarantee you it will bend, I know I did it, and never had an issue with it bending while towing.

I agree he needs some backing for the middle bolts.

psford
Explorer
Explorer
txbassmn wrote:
I believe it is from sliding the hitch back and forth, not driving with it. My wife has been standing back at the bed when I was siding the hitch and saw it pull back on the rails.

You hit them hard enough sliding the hitch back they are going to bend. I would get them straightened, and either stiffen them with plate as suggested ,or if there is room stiffen them with an angle underneath, and replace with new bolts. also I would refrain from sliding the hitch back when hooked up unless you do it gently, and keep the rollers ,and tube lubed up a bit with some dry lube to help with it sliding more freely.

Garry_Gayle
Explorer
Explorer
I had problems with the rails bending down in the center so I got some 3/8" plate steel cut to the same size as the rails and sandwiched them together, attach them in the center with bolts thru the 2 pieces and use longer bolts to attached to the under-bed frame bracket using grade 8 Bolts, Locknuts, not Nylocks