cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th wheel king pin lock

CoffeePat
Explorer
Explorer
While having concrete poured for parking RV at the house, I need to put it in storage. Placed is gated and all but what do y'all use for king pin locks? I don't want to spend a fortune on it...
16 REPLIES 16

justafordguy
Explorer
Explorer
I use this Master Lock. Less than $20.

Master Lock
2015 Heartland Gateway 3650BH
2017 F350 CCLB KR FX4
2005 F250 CC FX4
77 Bronco, 302,C4,PS,PB,A/C,33" KM2s,D44/Lock-Right,9"/Grizzly locker

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
I took a heavy chain that fits in the groove and cut it just long enough to wrap around the king pin and hook the chain ends together with a heavy duty padlock. Works great and very inexpensive. I've had the 5th wheel in 3 different storage lots and it hasn't walked away yet in 22 years.

Stefonius
Explorer
Explorer
I use a Husky like some of the others who replied. I'm not worried about theft, but I don't want anyone in the storage area moving my rig other than me.
2003 F450 Crew Cab, 7.3 PSD "Truckasaurus"
2010 Coachmen North Ridge 322RLT fiver "Habitat for Insanity"
I love my tent, but the DW said, "RV or Divorce"...

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
I just use this simple one.
Ultra-fab King Pin Lock

I chose it over all others for one simple reason - it takes a regular padlock which I have keyed to match another RV related lock. I rarely use it, except when the trailer is sitting here at home. I have little faith in any of them, might as well keep it simple, and at least if it gets stolen I can show that I took at least a spoonful of prevention.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

ramgunner
Explorer
Explorer
In a situation like that, you are trying to make your trailer require more effort to steal than the one next to it. Thieves are usually lazy and will got the path of least resistance.

If they want your unit specifically, you want it to take as much time as possible. Time = an increase in chances of being seen. If they feel the tradeoff is worth it, then they may eventually win. If they have enough time and really want it, they will eventually win.
Editor - http://www.RamGunner.com / http://www.MomentumGunner.com
2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
Grand Design Momentum 385TH (Polaris RZR800/VHF/UHF/HF)

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
Chrisatthebeach wrote:
Keep in mind if someone wants it bad enough they will get it. This will make the thief move to an easier target

Yep. Without even having to cut. They could just swap the pin box which is just bolts (six on each side, if I recall correctly?). But most thiefs I'm worried about aren't organized enough to have a replacement pinbox, and most won't take the time to do that.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40',
4380W solar, 22.8kWh LiFePO4@48V, 450AH AGM@12V
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T, cloaked on 37x13.5s

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
We have used one since having our first 5th wheel.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

Chrisatthebeach
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind if someone wants it bad enough they will get it. This will make the thief move to an easier target.

Years ago one of our storage lots in Atlanta was broken into, we used a 553 foot semi trailer with the kingpin lock to block the entrance, the thieves backed under it anyway and enough of the lock caught in the fifth wheel and they were able to get away with it. They went down the road and cut it with a torch and the trailer was gone. The cut lock was found but the trailer never was.
Chris & Dianne
Jayco Designer 3110 SOLD 6-11-2016, looking for the next one.
F250 PSD 4x4 Crew Cab

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Could always get one at a semi trailer supply place or ask Ryder/Penske about where to get them. Probly more HD than ones from CW I'm guessing.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
jshupe wrote:
We're happy with this one.

X2. Have been using this one for four years. Our fiver sits in our backyard always keep it locked. Easy on and off and a good visual deterent.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
We're happy with this one.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40',
4380W solar, 22.8kWh LiFePO4@48V, 450AH AGM@12V
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T, cloaked on 37x13.5s

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Don't use one.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I got one like this one. But I bought it at Camping World.

cmeade
Explorer
Explorer
I bought one for about $35 and use it whenever 5ver is not hitched to TV for peace of mind. My 5ver is stored in front of my barn inside a fenced yard and still locked. Keep the key with the RV keys not the TV keys.