cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5th wheel purchase

ol__grouch
Explorer
Explorer
I'm talking to a fellow who went with a larger trailer and is selling his 5ver and hitch. It's a short rig as I'm limited on space and I won't pay to store it someplace. I want to be able to hook up and go when I feel like it, and have the time. The unit is 21 feet total length and the camper is 19 feet. As a result, the king pin is a bit forward.

This will be my first 5ver although I'm not new to camping. I've tent camped (I'm getting a bit old for that though) and I sold my Class B some time ago. My concern is hitch placement and turning.

The rig will be pulled by a 1997 Ford F-250HD with the extended cab and 7.3 DI turbo engine. It has had a 5th wheel hitch previously so I already have the holes and brake controller. I drove a truck years ago so I know not to jack knife the rig. However, there is a difference between an over the road truck and a camper set up. My pickup has the 7 foot bed. Will I need to leave the trailer centered over the rear axle or should it be forward for road travel and slid back over the axle for parking?

Any tips or help is welcome. I know enough to know I don't know everything.
Honk if you love Jesus.
Text if you want to meet him.
3 REPLIES 3

ol__grouch
Explorer
Explorer
cmeade wrote:
If your truck had a hitch already then you will need a rail kit and the hitch of your choice. I went with the B&W companion fifth wheel hitch because I wanted the bed clear when the hitch is removed. See turnoverball.com. My hitch is set for the 4" behind the axle setting due to the rounded front cap (88 degree) on my Keystone Alpine. If your 5er has a flat square cap then you should consider a slider. My bed is 6' 4" on a Ram 3500 4x4 megacab and have had no problems for over 10k miles towing. Towing a 5er is easier than a TT IMHO because pivot is at the axle not the rear bumper.

The fellow selling went with a bumper pull. His old hitch is part of the deal and includes the rails. The pin is forward of the body on the trailer so with what another poster showed, it should pull with no adjustments. The tow vehicle I'll be using also has air bags on the rear axle. My other truck is also a 3/4 ton but a LOT heavier duty.

I'm pretty sure the combination will work just fine. Now I need to see what kind of shape the unit is in and see if it's worth the price. The pictures look decent and it could use a good exterior cleaning but I want to check the floor and ceiling. I looked at one trailer once that looked great until I walked in and fell through the floor.
Honk if you love Jesus.
Text if you want to meet him.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Short pin box......slider 5th wheel hitch needed

Medium or long.....slider 5th wheel hitch NOT needed ====== unless truck has 'short' bed

5th wheel hitch should be installed centered over axle or slightly (2"-4") forward of axle

If using a slider.......should only be in rearward position for 'maneuvering' not when in transit.

Then there is always 'Sidewinder' hitch where pivoting is done at trailer pin box vs at 5th wheel hitch
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

cmeade
Explorer
Explorer
If your truck had a hitch already then you will need a rail kit and the hitch of your choice. I went with the B&W companion fifth wheel hitch because I wanted the bed clear when the hitch is removed. See turnoverball.com. My hitch is set for the 4" behind the axle setting due to the rounded front cap (88 degree) on my Keystone Alpine. If your 5er has a flat square cap then you should consider a slider. My bed is 6' 4" on a Ram 3500 4x4 megacab and have had no problems for over 10k miles towing. Towing a 5er is easier than a TT IMHO because pivot is at the axle not the rear bumper.