cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th wheel rocking motion

ipeltier
Explorer
Explorer
Our new Jayco HT 5th wheel rocks front to back when we move around inside. What can we do to stabilize it?
19 REPLIES 19

magic43
Explorer
Explorer
I throw a pair of rubber chocks between the wheels on each side before I unhitch. After leveling, the JT Strongarms are tightened, and lastly, the X-Chocks are tightened between the tires. The only thing that "rocks" is us!
magic43

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
We have had a great solid setup for several years. I installed scissor jacks in front of the front tires. This helped the spring bounce as I walked in the fifth and my wife was doing needle work. later the JT's came on the rv scene and they are so great for a solid feel. I made wheel chocks but some times I only use one. Wintering for 6 months the JT's help for a windy day or night. This was a surprise so we have everything we need.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Dutch___Di
Explorer
Explorer
We've had our stabilizers on for about 9 years and they really helped. We added the BF in 2010 and thought we might be able to do away with stabilizers but it didn't take long to realize that the BF will offer a bit of stability, it's job is to level. So with the ease of the BF and stabilizers we are perfect. Being fulltimers for 20+ years means we're in our rig 24/7 so no movement is a "biggie" to us. Hugs, Di
2015 Western Brown Pearl single cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisin Transmission, Pace Edwards auto rolltop cover, DeBoe Slide Step, AMP Side Steps.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Susp, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Auto Leveling System, TST TPMS

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
greende wrote:
Cheapest is BAL X-Chocks between wheels to stop suspension from moving.

Next would be stabilizers like JT Strongarms or such to stop stabilizer jacks from moving.

Most expensive would be a four point leveling system (aftermarket) to lift/stabilize frame.

Forget the X-Chocks and put on a set of JT Strong Arms!
We just finished setting up yesterday and we are rock solid with standard wheel chocks and the JT's!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
i

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
This is his floor plan. If he cannot reverse the door, he still should have enough room for a towel or magazine to keep it cracked. I cant imagine the fridge would rub against that island going down the road.

Dan_Henry
Explorer
Explorer
We have an Excel with the 4 point hyd leveling system. I made some blocks to put under the jacks about 6 inches tall in front the 7 1/2 at the back and this has helped. The more the jacks are extended the more the wiggle.
Dan

Allreds_Fifth_W
Explorer
Explorer
http://rvpartsoverstock.com/product/x-chock-wheel-stabilizer-pair-one-handle/

Best pricing I have seen.

boatms03
Explorer
Explorer
will the JT'S work with the lippert 6 point leveling system?
2009 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel
2017 Sierra 381 RBOK

ipeltier
Explorer
Explorer
"I have a jayco 28.5 rsts 5th and installed the JT's ,best decision ever. The only issue I had was having to relocate the spare mounted under the front as it was in the way of mounting brackets."

This is the model we have. We'll look into the JT's. Where did you mount the spare tire? In the back?

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
We have these DIY RV wheel chocks and they work great!
2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
4 point leveling won't stop the wiggle, what it does in level your rig. To stop the wiggle and many have noted, install JT Strongarms.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
JT Strongarms OR Similar devices are great

But in mean time....
X-chcoks between the tires Both sides will stop back/forth motion especially when used with wedge wheel chocks

After you have leveled side to side and unhitched ready to level front/rear
Run front landing gear UP/Down to level
Then run front legs DOWN 1' below level
Run rear stabilizers down and SNUG
Then run front legs back UP to level

This makes 5vr very solid

You will still have 'bounce' as long as suspension/tires are still in play
Placing jacks/stabilizers on frame RIGHT in front or back of wheels will stop that bounce
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
don't screw around with anything else just put on JT Strong arm's
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD