cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th Wheel Spec Height Question

BulldawgFan
Explorer
Explorer
So my bride and I came across a 5th wheel floor plan we really like the other day, and I have started to look into it more, have located a close dealer, and have looked at specs.

Here is one dilemma and question. We had a 18' ร— 36' steel building erected on our property to store the travel trailer under. It is exactly 13 ft tall at lowest point in center(peak) and 11 ft at eaves (sides).

The specs on the 5th wheel states 12' 6" height. So the question, is this figure measured at the highest point of sidewall or does this include ac height, or in other words highest point of unit.

The unit in question is a 2015 Prime Time Crusader 335BHS.

Thanks all.
2018 Forest River FR3 30DS
2011 GMC Terrain (Toad #1)
1993 Jeep YJ (Toad #2)
1993 EZGO Marathon 48v
22 REPLIES 22

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
You could always run some concrete blocks or some other raised platform for the base and place the RV PORT Frame on tops of the platform...

I think you can also replace the side frames for higher one's as an option.

Photo from GOOGLE IMAGES...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Chevyman2006
Explorer
Explorer
byrdr1 wrote:

this is A frame RVport with 12 foot sides and you can see the front air and clearance.

What is the width of that carport?
2006 Chevrolet 2500HD 4wd CC/SB Duramax/ Allison
2009 Keystone Copper Canyon 298fwbhs
Wife and two BEAUTIFUL girls!!

Nights camped in 2010: 64
Nights camped in 2011: 58
Nights camped in 2012: 75

CANAMKID
Explorer
Explorer
Does every one know that legal height is 13' 6". Don't go
over especially out east, sign say 13'6" but w/ new pavement.:h
CanAmKid

Grady23
Explorer
Explorer
Find what you feel is the highest point and using a 6Ft level place it on top of that spot extend the level out over the side and measure down from the bottom of the level to the ground. Make sure the level is maintained when extending it out over the side.
Retired
2010 Cougar 318SAB
2012 Chevy 2500HD Ext Cab Duramax w/Allison
Grady Gulfstream w/twin 150'S
We're Just getting started

ramyankee
Explorer
Explorer
I was just going to post the length.....It will be almost 2' longer than your building.....

Length (ft/m) 37.75 / 11.5

Length (ft/ft) 37
Length (ft/in) 9
Rick and Patti ๐Ÿ™‚
2 Proud Christian CONSERVATIVES ๐Ÿ™‚
2002 Chevy Silverado, 8.1, Crew, LB, 3.73, 4X4
2020 Mesa Ridge 291rls
Now living in North Idaho (formerly Northeastern California) ... but the heart is with MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY

glkids2
Explorer
Explorer
not sure if it matters, just looked at your potential rig and it is also longer then your stated shelter.

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
C-Bears wrote:
BulldawgFan wrote:
So my bride and I came across a 5th wheel floor plan we really like the other day, and I have started to look into it more, have located a close dealer, and have looked at specs.

Here is one dilemma and question. We had a 18' ร— 36' steel building erected on our property to store the travel trailer under. It is exactly 13 ft tall at lowest point in center(peak) and 11 ft at eaves (sides).

The specs on the 5th wheel states 12' 6" height. So the question, is this figure measured at the highest point of sidewall or does this include ac height, or in other words highest point of unit.

Thanks all.

My spec sheet said 12'6" and my actual hooked up height is 13'5" to the top of my front air. I am going to guess the sides of my fiver roof are still 12'9" or so because my front air is only about 8" tall.

I am guessing you will be extremely close for that opening. The perfect solution would be if you could get a response from someone who was pulling that exact make/model/year fiver and actually knew their height.

If the spec is correct, it usually does *not* include the height of the *front* A/C.....which is normally an *optional* A/C.

Note there are low profile A/C's - which won't add as much height,
however some of those are reduced btu.

As C-bears states - a normal front A/C will take the height to 13ft, 5 or 6 inches! (Mine is 13'6")

Easy - for quick references - Google the brand, look at the specs.

Decide if you really need the second (optional) front A/C..:@

ChuckandSue
Explorer
Explorer
Is it possible for you to dig the floor deeper or is it a slab?
Chuck and Sue, living the full-timing dream, but in an interim travel trailer, 2013 Starcraft AR-ONE 21WB
Tow vehicle - 2015 Ford F450
Full-timer 5th wheel - to be ordered in 2015 or 2016
Fulltime begins summer of 2017

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
The manufacturers spec sheets are a good guesstimation for the data. The one Got-ya is the note that specifications and options are subject to change without notice. The only way to know for sure is to measure the unit in question, both as set up and as on the truck.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

George_H
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget to allow for raising front so you can unhook from truck.
George, Juanita and Mandie (boss Shar-Pei)
01 F350, PSD, DRW
05 Carri-Lite 32RS3

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
BulldawgFan wrote:

Normally it is the highest point which would include the A/C. However, it will not include a 2nd A/C unless the 2nd A/C is standard equipment. Finally, since most fivers have a sloped roof, exactly where the high point occurs will have a big impact on height increase with the 2nd A/C.

In my case, a 9 inch tall 2nd A/C only added 3 inches to maximum height. But of course the high point also shifted forward and is now the top of the 2nd A/C. And since this is very near the king pin, towing nose high will make the increase worse.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind that the height measurement is given for a level fifth wheel. If you have a newer truck with a high bed and your unit tows nose high, your fifth wheel height will be slightly higher. This is worth considering since you will be cutting it so close.

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

byrdr1
Explorer
Explorer

this is A frame RVport with 12 foot sides and you can see the front air and clearance.

2014 F-350 SRW CC/LWB 4X4 6.7PSD

2011 Keystone Cougar 327RES
Happy Campin'
Randy
Piedmont area of NC

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
BulldawgFan wrote:

Thanks all.

My spec sheet said 12'6" and my actual hooked up height is 13'5" to the top of my front air. I am going to guess the sides of my fiver roof are still 12'9" or so because my front air is only about 8" tall.

I am guessing you will be extremely close for that opening. The perfect solution would be if you could get a response from someone who was pulling that exact make/model/year fiver and actually knew their height.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!