cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A/C problem

TiredMom57
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Dometic A/C that's stalling out. It stalls anywhere from 1-5 seconds then comes back on. Sometimes it comes back on blowing stronger than it did before it stalled. Anyone have this problem or can give advice to a solution? We had a tech come out and he had to change the control board b/c the wires and wire caps were burned!!

Thanks!
21 REPLIES 21

TiredMom57
Explorer
Explorer
So does anyone know how to do the diagnostics on the panel board?

TiredMom57
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies. It's funny how the tech appeared to know everything about the unit but never said what y'all are saying....that this is normal. His response was always "don't know why it's doing this"!! It is a digital thermostat.

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks to the OP for motivating me to do something about this. It actually was keeping us awake in the night on the last camping trip. On a sunny day with hot weather, it's not noticeable because the AC just runs continuously.

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our Dometic AC does the same even at low outside temperatures at night when it only needs to run infrequently. In auto, it runs on low for a while, then the fan goes off while the compressor continues to run for 5 seconds, then the fan comes back on high for about 30 seconds, and then the whole thing shuts off for a while. There is no doubt in my mind that the temperature never gets more than a degree or two from set point. It does not make sense to me that this is the auto special feature. If Dometic can’t come up with a fix, I’ll rewire the whole darn thing to run on a residential thermostat—no this probably won’t be the simple re-wires that have been posted on this site.

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
Durhamcutter wrote:
We have the same problem, it is your digital thermostat and two Tecks have told us that it was suppose to do that. I don't like it either but it how it is suppose to work, don't know why they just said that it was the digital thermostat. Good Luck and happy camping

I guess that is why the call it a "special feature", the problem seems to be when the temperature is right at the change over point between hi and lo, they should have done something different with the software in the T-stat to prevent this.

The work-around is don't use AUTO until the temperature is reached in the RV and has stabilized. My New RV in my sig. has done this since day one. I have 2 units with separate T-Stats and they each do this.
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

Durhamcutter
Explorer
Explorer
We have the same problem, it is your digital thermostat and two Tecks have told us that it was suppose to do that. I don't like it either but it how it is suppose to work, don't know why they just said that it was the digital thermostat. Good Luck and happy camping

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
Might also be a bad fan motor. Those bushings are famous for seizing up.
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

Larryect
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think so.......

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
Larryect wrote:
Mine operates as Learjet described. Shuts down the fan for a few seconds when changing fan speed when fan is in auto.

Ok...so is there a bunch of defective control boards for the Dometic AC's ?
B&W Ram Companion

Larryect
Explorer
Explorer
Mine operates as Learjet described. Shuts down the fan for a few seconds when changing fan speed when fan is in auto.

GASMAN6674
Explorer
Explorer
Mine was doing this, would be running then fan would stop for 6-10 seconds while compressor was still running. It was a bad board in the unit according to the dealer. He replaced it under warranty and no more issues.
Hope this helps
Jim & Debbie England
Do you have Gas? Propane Exceptional Energy
2015 F350 CCLB 6.2L/4:30 Vermilion Red
2020 Cougar 364BHLGone but not forgotten 2012 Ridgeline 34RLT fifth wheel/2012 V27FK V-Cross TT

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
TiredMom57 wrote:
We have a Dometic A/C that's stalling out. It stalls anywhere from 1-5 seconds then comes back on. Sometimes it comes back on blowing stronger than it did before it stalled. Anyone have this problem or can give advice to a solution? We had a tech come out and he had to change the control board b/c the wires and wire caps were burned!!

Thanks!

Are you running the fan in Auto?

I have the Single Zone LCD Thermostat, when the Fan is in AUTO as it approaches the correct temp, the fan will shut off for a few seconds to switches to low then start back up, the compressor keeps running during this swap over. Sometimes it does this again to high. I run the Fan in Hi or Low until the temp is stabil in the unit, then Auto works fine.

here is the info from the manual on the "special feature"

Special Features
Auto Fan
When auto fan is selected the fan speed will vary depending on the
difference between the temperature set-point and the room temperature.
In auto fan the compressor and fan cycle On and Off with the
thermostat.
When the difference is:
>5º The fan operates on HIGH
<4º The fan operates on LOW
B&W Ram Companion

TiredMom57
Explorer
Explorer
OK, thanks for your time!