cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Air bags - required ?

Shipwreck2
Explorer
Explorer
So we have our 5th wheel a cougar xlite being pulled by an f250 6.7l diesel and it works well. I would like air bags but my question for now is do I need them? With the trailer fully loaded for a trip with water I only get 1.5" drop in the box of the truck.

We will be doing a 2week 2500km(round trip) vacation to the east cost in a couple weeks. I have had no issues so far without airbags. Any experience of those who towed without and then added later on how performance improved? Just trying to put off the purchase cost if I can.
25 REPLIES 25

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Old-Biscuit wrote:
A trip across the 'scales' will give you real world weight numbers vs wondering IF I need this or that band-aid fix

I didn't need a trip to the scales to know i was going to be OK towing our new rig once I put the pin on the TV!!

The only issues I had were leveling the 5er, and smoothing the 5er's ride.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
A trip across the 'scales' will give you real world weight numbers vs wondering IF I need this or that band-aid fix
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

rreynold51
Explorer
Explorer
I have them too but my truck doesn't dip much with little air in them. The trailer is level. The only time I'm glad I have them is when I hit one of those unexpected bumps, usually in the middle of the freeway in a big city, and it really bounces. The air bags take some of the "bump" out of it and I don't have to worry about bottoming out.

Always nice to have extra stuff on the truck though. ๐Ÿ™‚
Rick & Debbi NJ5W/N5GHN
El Paso, Texas

2016 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2015 GMC 2500HD Duramax

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
If your lights are pointing straight down the highway and not pointing at the treetops, you're good. No sense adding complexity if it isn't needed.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
No bags needed here either!!!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
My truck would drop about 2 inches which put the suspension closer to the factory overload springs. This gave a very pleasant and stable feeling ride even on bumpy roads. No need for airbags.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
I removed the extra spring on my 3500 Ram to soften things up when loaded. As an offset, I installed air bags at the same time. Never used them once, just keep them aired to 6 lbs to avoid damage. 1,800# pin, 300# hitch and most of the time 200# of firewood in bed. Tows real nice.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
agesilaus wrote:
No you do not need them

x2. 1.5" squat is nothing.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

hotrod4x5
Explorer
Explorer
I towed with my F250 and 5th wheel thousands of miles on stock springs and nothing else. You don't need it.
Rodney Former Owner of: 2005 Laredo 29GS 2002 F250 V-10 Yamaha EF3000iSEB (and NOT a GS Member)

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a 6.7 F250 that did not have the tow package. My truck would dip very low so yes I installed air bags. Really don't think I would do that with no more drop then you have. You can go straight to Firestone and get the best price. However they are still expensive. Too, even with only 10psi required for truck not loaded, made the truck very rough ride. I finally went to a F350 dRW. Different as day and night when towing.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
No you do not need them
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper