cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Air Conditioner is not cooling the trailer

Bayley
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2014 Arctic Fox 5th wheel with a 13.5 BTU Coleman Mach (Airexcel)air conditioner,
We haven't had to use the air conditioner until this weekend when it was 102 degrees. I have two Honda EU2000 generators.

The problem is, the unit will not cool the main room of the 5'er down more than 10 degrees or so. The air coming from the unit is no cooler than if we were using a fan.

I've had travel trailers in the past that had units that would cool the trailer very well in high temps.

Does anyone have experience with the 13.5 btu unit using the two Honda genny's?

I am still under warranty but would like to know what I should expect from the unit before I go to the dealer and listen to all the reasons why I am over reacting!! LOL

Thanks,
Tony
Semper Fi

Tony, Darlene & the boss Bentley!
2013 Ram CTD, Ride-Rite Air Bags, B&W Turnover Ball and Andersen "Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection".
2014 Arctic Fox 29-5K 5th wheel with Reese Airborne Pin Box.
18 REPLIES 18

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
newman fulltimer wrote:
is it acopleman or domestic ? Have you pulled the inside cover to verify it is sealed to the ducting?

Yep same deal on the Laredo I have. I used the aluminized duct tape to keep the ducting fastened to the discharge on the AC

Huge difference

Problem now it that the ceiling is no longer cold. :W

Jim-n-Henri
Explorer
Explorer
CumminsDriver wrote:
OP, remove the Air Conditioner grill that is screwed to the ceiling of your 5th Wheel. Once removed, you will see a divider that seperates the return air side of the AC unit from the supply air side. Make sure this hasn't fallen over to one side. This needs to be vertical, and it will seal the return from the supply. This has been a common issue found on these AC units. Mine had fallen over to about a 45* angle, and the supply was being pulled right back into the return, with very little airflow going out to the trailer. It made a big difference in the AC units performance making this fix.

You might want to visit North Woods RV Owners website for more info on your Arctic Fox.

Rich

This is why forums are valuable ! No BS just real expierience !

Bayley
Explorer
Explorer
There are many very helpful, considerate people who sincerely try to offer advice based on personal experiences and who have no other agenda than to help their fellow RV'ers.

I quickly learned to simply ignore posts from people who are negative and who choose to make comments that have nothing to do with the original question or intentionally try to make the OP feel inferior for asking a particular question.

Thank you to all the people who have helped me with the many questions I have posted over the couple of years I have been on the forum. This is an extremely valuable tool to get real life advice!!
Semper Fi

2013 Ram CTD, Ride-Rite Air Bags, B&W Turnover Ball and Andersen "Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection".

kellertx5er
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:
The amount of incorrect information on this forum is incredible.

The number of unhelpful people in these forums is also incredible. What was the purpose of this post? If you have the 'correct' information, why did you not share it with the forum? Simply spewing out a message that others' information is incorrect is of the same value as thier post(s).
Keller TX
'19 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L
'09 Outback Sydney 321FRL 5er
SUPPORT TEXAS STATE PARKS

Bayley
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the advice!!

I opened the cover inside the coach and in fact did find the diverter **** to be ****ed to one side. I placed it in the correct position and now I'm getting much more and COOLER air flow into the room.

I didn't have time to let it run yesterday but will bring the trailer home again in a few days and give it a good testing.

I am also considering installing an additional unit in the bedroom area sometime down the road.

Again...I really appreciate the sound advice I received and wish you all safe and pleasant travels!!

Tony
Semper Fi

redhooker
Explorer
Explorer
Ron Nielson wrote:

I believe that having a 15K unit would be more help than you think. I read a post from someone who just changed his 13.5k unit for a 15K unit and was very happy with the results. However, If he were in the hot humid south, or the scorching deserts of Arizona, he may not think so.

I believe the answer is to install an additional unit, perhaps a 9.2K unit in the bedroom.

Absolutely agree on upping to a 15k or add another unit-and I double checked my post to make sure I mentioned my location. 98 degrees with 98% humidity is the daily forecast here. No way a 13.5 will ever cool a 27 foot fifth wheel satisfactorily (we like mid to low 70s inside) in 103 degree weather. Especially if you try to cook anything inside on the range or oven.

My point earlier is I was told numerous times my 13.5k was enough unit and that I needed to cover all my windows, use reflectix in my skylight/vents, and run my fan constant on high during the day and be happy with 78-82 degrees in the coach during the day. Add 2 kids to the mix in and out and we were miserable. So against my dealers recommendation I ripped out the newer 13.5 and installed a 15k. Problem solved. No special procedures required, just close the shades on the sunny side and we stay as cool as we like. My 15k unit cools the equivalent of a 27 foot fifth wheel, and I have a 13.5 chilling a 14 foot garage with a dryer running half the day.

My fiver shipped from the factory with a single 13.5 unit-what were they thinking!

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
9 times out of 10, it is not low on refrigerant. So first spend your time looking air bypassing and get the temperatures in and out of the unit.
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the air is no cooler than just running the fan I suspect it low on freon and may have leak. Under warranty, call a service that does air out.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Ron_Nielson
Explorer
Explorer
I have an Arctic Fox 29-5T with the same a/c unit that you do. When I first obtained my trailer, I found some problems with ducting (air from ducts was being dumped into the attic at the adjustable outlets in the ceiling) and with the divider between the intake and outlet, just under the big cover on the ceiling,there was a leak of cold air on the output side being sucked right back into the inlet side. So less cold air into the trailer. The cooling increased a noticeable amount with the repair of these problems. Of course, keep your intake filter washed, at least every two weeks

Some other things you can do: Block the vents, skylights, door window with insulated pillows or Reflectix. Our bedroom windows are also blocked with Reflectix. We also have double pane windows which are an absolute must; cooler in the hot temps; warmer when it is cold; and quieter all the time.

It goes without saying, that if the contents of your trailer is heat soaked, you're behind the 8-ball and it will take at least 24 hours to cool down. Much better to start your cooling way before the trailer gets hot. After it gets hot, you're just not going to be cool enough.

We just spent 8 days in hot humid Arkansas. When we were exposed to the sun, it was hard for the trailer to stay as cool as I would like. The last 4 days of our trip we had a space that was very shady and the trailer was pretty comfortable. But you can't always camp in the shade, so you probably need more cooling.

I believe that having a 15K unit would be more help than you think. I read a post from someone who just changed his 13.5k unit for a 15K unit and was very happy with the results. However, If he were in the hot humid south, or the scorching deserts of Arizona, he may not think so.

I believe the answer is to install an additional unit, perhaps a 9.2K unit in the bedroom. That is a substantial increase in the cooling capacity of the trailer. One other thing you MIGHT consider is using a portable air conditioner. A couple of days ago, Best buy had a 12K portable unit on sale for $309. It was about the size of a large dehumidifier, about 15"X15"X36". Needed to vent the exhaust air outside and either collect the condensate from the built-in container, or drain it via a hose/tube. For limited use, something like that might be just the ticket for you.

I am in the process of installing a 9.2K unit in the bedroom. Trying to figure out how to get my 20 amp circuit from the basement to the bedroom ceiling location, but no apparent path, yet.

Rich1961
Explorer
Explorer
OP, remove the Air Conditioner grill that is screwed to the ceiling of your 5th Wheel. Once removed, you will see a divider that seperates the return air side of the AC unit from the supply air side. Make sure this hasn't fallen over to one side. This needs to be vertical, and it will seal the return from the supply. This has been a common issue found on these AC units. Mine had fallen over to about a 45* angle, and the supply was being pulled right back into the return, with very little airflow going out to the trailer. It made a big difference in the AC units performance making this fix.

You might want to visit North Woods RV Owners website for more info on your Arctic Fox.

Rich
2016 Chevrolet/Duramax 3500HD Dually Crew Cab B&W RVK 3700 5th Wheel Hitch
2014 Arctic Fox 29-5T

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
fla-gypsy wrote:

I could not agree more.

The leaving air temperature on the a/c unit should be 18 to 20 degF cooler than the entering air temperature...NOTHING to do with the outside ambient.

In 90 degF plus temps, I doubt if a 13.5KBTUH unit will keep a 29' plus RV cool in full sunlight. A 15KBTUH unit will help.

How old is the RV and are the filters clean? Is the evaporator coil clean? Is the return air side properly sealed from the outlet air side?

Take you temperature reading with a thermometer and not infrared temperature gun. The infrared will not read air temperature. It will read the temperature of the material near the air.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

relaxin
Explorer
Explorer
some complex math and thermal engineering could help here,

heat gain compared to the units cooling ability

I had mine parked in my back yard, with the direct sunlight hitting the back side and tail end (most windows) it was only maybe 93, 94 degrees out, and the ac could not get the temp down more than 5 or 6 degrees, the sun moved behind some trees in the early evening and within an hour the temp in the unit dropped down to 72.
now if this thing had 3 inches of spray foam insulation in the walls and floor, and 4 in the ceiling, double pain windows with a uv reflective coating. a bowl of ice cubes on the dinette would cool the unit down.

Wouldn't it be nice!!! the better built RV
Relaxin, hikin, canoin, enjoyin life
headin down the road with a 29' reflection, canoe, camera, & hammock. 2022 GMC extended cab 6.6 litre gasser.
Rug rats grown and gone, just me and my beautiful little lady.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

redhooker
Explorer
Explorer
I am biased as a Floridian, but Arctic Fox does not build a single 5th wheel model that would cool sufficiently here with anything shy of a 15000, and that would just do a 27 footer. Any longer and I would require 2 AC units. 102 degrees is not messing around, you need some significant cooling power. I have a 41' TH and the front is essentially a 27 foot fiver, and I had to replace a 13,500 with a 15,000 for the front area, and run another 13,500 in the 14 foot garage. Remember our "4 season" RVs also use the cooling in the basement areas as well. Down here I am in a shaded spot with temps in the high 90s daily, and I would freeze up the relatively new 13,500 unit every afternoon trying to maintain 74 degrees inside.

You may have other problems as well but I would not hesitate (heck I would DEMAND) to run a 15,000 in that coach. I was told the same crud as well that I can only expect blah blah degrees under outside, but on a 98 degree day I can have our coach 66 inside now no problem.