cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Air conditioner not keeping up in 5th wheel

jeff__h
Explorer
Explorer
The 5th wheel is a 35QSIK with 4 slides.

Is it normal for the single air conditioner to struggle to cool the 5th wheel when the temp is only in the mid to upper 80s?

The air conditioner finally won, but it took hours to do so. The next day was much better because we left the air on all day so the RV was never allowed to heat up.

Doesn't bode well for later this summer with temps in the mid 90s.

If this is normal, what are my option to help keep the RV cool? I would rather not have to run out and buy a second AC unit if I can avoid it.
44 REPLIES 44

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Picture of the mod looking straight up. Tent point goes to the air source and the left and right sides direct it to the duct work. Can't help but make a better air flow.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
The mod was made by a Heartland member back in "06". Worked like a charm in most trailers. I don't stick around in extremely hot locals so it my not be the answer for those that do.
Most folks po-poed the idea so I really haven't brought it up much. So if ya all got an extra $1000 laying around and don't want to waste your time doing a simple mod go for it. Me, I never need two ACs.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

jeff__h
Explorer
Explorer
avvidclif1 wrote:
taken wrote:
It's a mod where you bend a piece of sheet metal in the shape of a tent and attach it below the cold air output of your ac to more smoothly divert the airflow to your ducts.

See link: clicky

The clicky leads to the Heartland group which you have to join before seeing the pictures.

Yeah, but it only takes a minute to join. Seeing the pictures is worth the effort to join.

Jimf1234
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Sandpiper 365 SAQ
2016 Dodge 3500 900ftlbs Limited

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Campinfan wrote:
OK, I give....what is a tent in a vent

Basically your air is blown straight down into the flat surface of the chill grill and has to figure out where to go. You make a tent in the vent to direct the it so the air has a smooth direct transition into the ceiling duct work. Smooth out all the rough surfaces with furnace tape. You will get a good idea by googling tent in the vent mod then taking off the grill and you will figure it out. Results lot more air being delivered and quieter.
Surprised that the manufactures just slop @$$ the install, but I guess they sell more ACs that way.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
nylyon wrote:
And no one ever says "I wish I only had 1 A/C" !

All I ever said was "I'm glad I never had to buy a second AC"

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Tigertracks
Explorer
Explorer
I added solar screen to the exterior windows of my unit, which I can easily add or remove when parked. Works great, looks okay and very cheap.

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
taken wrote:
It's a mod where you bend a piece of sheet metal in the shape of a tent and attach it below the cold air output of your ac to more smoothly divert the airflow to your ducts.

The clicky leads to the Heartland group which you have to join before seeing the pictures.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
Purchased our Cameo in Colorado with 1 a/c. Got to TEXAS and it did not stay cool at all even in shade. Put 2nd unit on as well as 7000 onan gen. The beauty is we stop about 1 hour before destination start gen. And air conditioner which began cooling before we get to destination. Nost rvs will need 2nd unit.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

nylyon
Explorer
Explorer
And no one ever says "I wish I only had 1 A/C" !
Karl, Liz, 3-kids and Pepper the puppy

2011 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 30.5 BHLT
2003 F-250 FX4 6.0 Powerstroke

taken
Explorer
Explorer

Regards, Rodney
TV - 2017 F350 SRW CC SB 4X4 6.7
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
OK, I give....what is a tent in a vent

RandACampin
Explorer
Explorer
Your camper is heat soaked, it will take a while to cool it down. No different than turning off your home air for a few days then trying to cool it down.
HEY CHECK IT OUT!! http://www.rvingoutpost.com

jeff__h
Explorer
Explorer
ChopperBill wrote:
We stay AZ in the winter but it can get into to 90's before we leave. Only 30 amp in the park. All the neighbors have a little longer rv's, none over 36', and vary from a Mobile Suite to a Monaco to a Sansabar to a Montana. All of them complain about their AC not keeping them cool. We only have one 15000 AC and you could hang meat in it when running, even shuts down when it reaches our selected temp. Not sure how it would do when it gets to a100, but we that are what the wheels are for.
On edit: bet 80% of the units are not blowing enough air. That is what the "tent in the vent" mod is for. increased air flow by about 50% in our prior 40' rv made a world of difference.

Took a little time to find out this "tent in the vent" but it sounds interesting and is a heck of a lot cheaper than a 2nd A/C unit. Certainly worth a try. Thanks for sharing.