cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Air RIde BD3 or TS3

LvOpnRd
Explorer
Explorer
My fifth wheel weighs just under 11,000lbs dry. Is there any need to get the much heavier TS3? I don't see us getting anything bigger down the road, not for at least 10 years anyways. I'm leaning towards the BD3 and just wanted to hear some opinions. Thank you in advance.
6 REPLIES 6

JTrac
Explorer
Explorer
hone eagle wrote:
Not positive but isn't the Binkley head standard on all trailer savers? If so its ultimate rating is 7500 on the pin and 32000 tow ,its the rest of the components the set lower limits -truck frame / hitch rails or trailer saver hitch frame.
Correct me if Iam wrong.
My hitch requires another air bag (3 total) for the 7500# pin rating,but the head itself still a Binkley

You are right, that is what they use and it is a good one. I like the way it locks in place when it engages the king pin. That should prevent an accidental drop of the trailer on your truck bed.
JimT
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, 2020 Ford F350, Platinum, 6.7 diesel, 4X4, CCLB, SRW, 12,400 GVWR

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
Not positive but isn't the Binkley head standard on all trailer savers? If so its ultimate rating is 7500 on the pin and 32000 tow ,its the rest of the components the set lower limits -truck frame / hitch rails or trailer saver hitch frame.
Correct me if Iam wrong.
My hitch requires another air bag (3 total) for the 7500# pin rating,but the head itself still a Binkley
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

handsome51
Explorer
Explorer
Have you looked at the 25K airsafe hitch. I bought one in 2006 when I bought my Carriage. Trailer and truck rides like a dream. Nothing moves in the trailer unless you slam on the brakes. No strain on trailer or truck when going down the road. They are not cheap. But you get what you pay for.

JTrac
Explorer
Explorer
I have a BD3 and it is very robust. The 18K rating is adequate for most fifth wheels, I would think. At least it is for us. I do wish the 3500 pound pin weight rating was higher but, again, it is probably adequate for most. I would like the extra capacity of the TS3 but I have no way to remove it. My wife and I can handle getting the BD3 in and out by ourselves. I only did one test run with our 2012 GMC 3500 srw, which I just sold, and there was a marked improvement in the chucking we were getting. I think the new dually and this hitch will be a good combination.
JimT
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, 2020 Ford F350, Platinum, 6.7 diesel, 4X4, CCLB, SRW, 12,400 GVWR

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I pull 14,000 pounds (GVWR) with my BD3. One of the things I like about it is that it breaks down into 2 components. One (strong) person can handle the individual pieces so it can be removed if you want to use the entire truck bed for something else.

Note the BD3 does not come with an air compressor - you must manually inflate, But normally that's a one time thing, once you get it where you want it.

I do think the bottom line question to be answered is how soon you might be getting a heavier 5er. If you get the TS3 now and get a new trailer in 10 years, you may decide you want a new hitch anyway.

I really like mine.

Tim B.

RECVEH2005
Explorer
Explorer
I had a similar question last year (trailer is 11,560 lbs. dry, 14,600 lbs. GVWR.) I called Hensley (the Trailer Saver manufacturer) and they advised me that the BD3 would be a good choice. I don't want a larger fiver, ever. The hitch works well for me. Now, if there is any chance that you might buy a much heavier trailer in the near future, then the TS3 might be the better choice. As you probably know, neither of these is cheap, so you probably don't want to have to buy twice.

Mike
Mike & Donna Scheer
Green Valley, AZ, USA

2013 GMC SRW Crew Cab 3500 short-bed D/A
2013 HitchHiker Discover America 300 FK