cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aluminum Roof Trusses - Grand Design uses Wood Trusses ???

tcamper
Explorer
Explorer
One of my priorities during my search for a new 5er is a 6 sided Aluminum infrastructure ….. with aluminum roof trusses.
My thinking all along is it is easier to recover from water intrusion damage, if insulation and paneling is all you need to replace; whereas wood rot is a major structural repair…on top of the insulation and paneling. And isn’t metal to metal bonding more rigid than metal to wood bonding?

We are days away from pulling the trigger on a new Grand Design Solitude, and I have just overlooked the aluminum frame issue because I was told in July the Solitude has the aluminum roof trusses. And on the Grand Design website in July 2015 under the features it clearly states “Aluminum Frame Construction” (no mention of only 5 sides). In the early days this was a show stopper. We automatically eliminated rigs that did not have 6 Aluminum sides. The RV industry is filled less expensive, lower quality rigs with 6 sided aluminum infrastructure.

For a company that is setting new standards in the RV industry, why does GD use wood for the roof trusses? Is it a cost cutting measure? Is there an advantage to wood over Aluminum?

We are literally considering pulling the trigger this weekend, and this just occurs to me. This is a probable show stopper !!!!

Aluminum roof is a big deal to me so ……Why wood trusses? What am I missing?

Note: I have posted this question on the GD forum.
Let's go camping.......

Terry & Eileen
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK
2015 RAM 3500 4X2 / 6.7 Cummins diesel
Houston, Texas
25 REPLIES 25

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
gmcsmoke wrote:
Grand design claim they are extended stay approved yet have a 54 gallon fresh water tank?

no thanks but this along with several other items and you can hardly say they are setting new standards.

playing catch up more like it

It's interesting that the smaller Reflection models have 60 gal tanks. Perhaps it's because GD figures very few people will be dry camping in the larger heavier Solitudes. I suspect they are right but still, I would have thought their tanks would be larger.

As far as wood vs aluminum goes, a wood screw into wood is a more secure fastener than a sheet metal screw into aluminum. You have two options for a secure fastener in sheet aluminum, screws and nuts or rivets.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

mikebte
Explorer
Explorer
There is only one reason to not like aluminum roof truss. They sweat in extremely heat with cold inside. Or extream cold with hot inside.
Wood does not sweat and can be replaced if you have a water leak. But if no leaks, wood is just fine.

But aluminum will work just fine. Don't let that hold you away.

Hope you enjoy your new 5er.

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
it would not be bad if it were just eye candy features but they are cheaping out on important things like putting "mid level" suspension, pin boxes ,TV and Sound systems leaving out 4 step entry steps,Wisper ducted A/C, no central vacs, no ceiling fans etc.. that the competition has Standard for a few years now
2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2007 3500HD GMC Dually LBZ Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Interesting we all have our likes and dislikes and deal breaking features.
While I like GD and think they are a wothwhile maunfacture with stellar custmer service. The lack of a rear cap and small fresh tanks are deal breaking issues for me.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Exactly my point they are not bad 5er's but when you have had as many 5er's as me and I am a Fulltimer you know what to look for and sadly Alot of folks are first time buyers and do not have a clue or do not compare all the brands enough,they go by looks and floorplan only and call it good and that is what Grand Designs is counting on
gmcsmoke wrote:
Grand design claim they are extended stay approved yet have a 54 gallon fresh water tank?

no thanks but this along with several other items and you can hardly say they are setting new standards.

2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2007 3500HD GMC Dually LBZ Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

gmcsmoke
Explorer
Explorer

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
LMAO!!!:S Yeah but you are not Lippert Mr Science ,why do you think ALL the Big 5er's are going 12inch Lippert I beam's?? they are getting heavier and heavier and the 10in I beam's were not up to the job and failing,if 10in is better then why are the Mfg's changing over?? they are heavier and more expensive etc.. they HAD to make the move to 12inch and it is working as the complaints about bent and cracked frames has gone way down since The IDEAL frame is the 2 stacked TUBED 6in which alot of the upper end REALLY Heavy 5er's use Maybee you ought to go into Business of making frames and show Lippert how it is done:R untill that time Lippert is what they use and the Lippert 12inch is more robust than the Lippert 10inch
wing_zealot wrote:
topjimmy wrote:
My friend is camping right next to me as I type this and we just measured his 2014 369RL rear I beam and it is a 10 inch I beam (just so you know) I know the Momentum toy hauler has the 12in main frame maybee the 2015's Solitudes have a 12inch and that would be an improvement
Dave&Jeanette wrote:
Just so you know the Solitude main frames are 12 inch.
I guarantee that I can design you a 6-inch I Beam that is just as strong (or stronger) than your 12-inch. And can then therefore add 6-inches of interior height. Point being, 12" vs. 10" may mean nothing, and you would have no idea of the differences between the two. I can just simply change the yield strength and make all the difference world.

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
topjimmy wrote:
My friend is camping right next to me as I type this and we just measured his 2014 369RL rear I beam and it is a 10 inch I beam (just so you know) I know the Momentum toy hauler has the 12in main frame maybee the 2015's Solitudes have a 12inch and that would be an improvement
Dave&Jeanette wrote:
I guarantee that I can design you a 6-inch I Beam that is just as strong (or stronger) than your 12-inch. And can then therefore add 6-inches of interior height. Point being, 12" vs. 10" may mean nothing, and you would have no idea of the differences between the two. I can just simply change the yield strength and make all the difference world.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I’ve spoken to several of the Grand Design folks from engineering, product management and marketing and one thing is for sure, Grand Design is totally committed to complete and total customer satisfaction (I believe this is certainly a part of that “Setting New Standards in the RV industry”……), and I feel a lot better now. I’m a bit blown away!!
Seems GD has certainly considered aluminum roof trusses in the past but have realized the overall benefits of wood trusses falls closer in line with the company’s overall commitment to product quality. And after discussing with these gentlemen and doing a bit more reading myself, I now totally agree!

Grand design isn't the only rv company to realize the pros and cons of aluminum structures. This from NUWA when the rush to aluminum was on;
paste and copy from nuwaowner.org forum
Why doesn't NuWa use an all aluminum structure like popular Indiana manufacturers?

NuWa made the decision to begin the use of aluminum structure based on marketing and the fact that many people were concluding that an "aluminum caged" product was superior in construction technology, weight and strength. Our 40+ years of experience as a leader in 5th wheel design suggests that may be "flawed" information. We have proven that wood construction need be no heavier or less strong than aluminum construction, that is built properly. We now build both materials, and are comfortable doing either, however our opinion is still that wood construction provides a superior product, and today we use both in the construction of our trailers. The strength of the NuWa trailer is actually created by the superior and light weight Blue Dow foam lamination concept.

NuWa uses an aluminum substructure in the sidewalls and ends of the coach only. No aluminum in the floors or attics, where metal promotes conduction of cold and moisture resulting in condensation.

90% of the walls are Blue Dow Structural Foam, rather than wood or aluminum. This creates a superior insulation and the only product with a guaranteed sidewall R Factor. (Water absorption in standard white foam reduces R Factor over time, and the use of Blue Dow Structural Foam eliminates this problem.)

NuWa's aluminum substructure sidewall is actually a "hybrid" wall, as we core fill the aluminum with wood in those areas where additional strength is required, because aluminum will not hold a screw. Not so with the lower priced brands. With NuWa's combined use of wood and aluminum substructure, you get a superior product because of NuWa's unique Blue Dow foam vacu-bond process, which makes the sidewalls virtually resistant to water penetration.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tcamper, all good design reasons for the wood trusses.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Dave&Jeanette wrote:

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on your new Solitude!,I never said they were bad Rv's I have 2 friends with them(one is camped right next to me now) and they like them as do I, just said I wish they would step it up on some things and I would have bought one myself (they Tried to no avail to get me to buy one instead of my 2015 Montana Legacy) and by the way don't fool yourself thinking they are built better than anybody else Both of my buddies Soitudes have been back to the dealer many times for Warranty repairs just like any other brand and as far as wood trusses Vs Aluminum they both have there pro's and con's and that was not a deciding factor for me not to buy a GD

tcamper
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Guys, just to follow up on my situation (bashing not needed) ….. I’ve spoken to several of the Grand Design folks from engineering, product management and marketing and one thing is for sure, Grand Design is totally committed to complete and total customer satisfaction (I believe this is certainly a part of that “Setting New Standards in the RV industry”……), and I feel a lot better now. I’m a bit blown away!!
Seems GD has certainly considered aluminum roof trusses in the past but have realized the overall benefits of wood trusses falls closer in line with the company’s overall commitment to product quality. And after discussing with these gentlemen and doing a bit more reading myself, I now totally agree!
And just to share a few of the key benefits:
Screw Retention – many screws connect the plywood roof deck and there is far more bite for the screw threads into wood than thin metal tubing…totally agree!!
Stronger deck – wood to wood bonding is stronger and more sturdy….certainly makes sense to me!!
Insulation – Hollow metal tubing is a conductor of Hot/Cold …. Wood is not. Easier to retain the insulation RValue / And AC ducting runs through rafters…no doubt!!
Condensation – aluminum sweats and condensates, wood does not….have definitely witnesses this phenomenon in person, many times!!
Memory – Metal bends, and stays bent, wood has some flex….totally agree!!
Roof attachment to wall structure – the top of the tubular aluminum wall structure is stuffed with wood, and large screws are used to fasten the wood rafters structure to the wall structure. This means the entire length of the screw bites into wood.

All points that I have not considered…..I’m sold!!

My interest in a well built RV has nothing to do with the quality of the picture on the TV …….. but everything to do with my trailer successfully following me everywhere I go for the next many years……..

You will soon see a Grand Design product in my driveway!!!!
Let's go camping.......

Terry & Eileen
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK
2015 RAM 3500 4X2 / 6.7 Cummins diesel
Houston, Texas

Dave_Jeanette
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Ford F350 CC DRW 6.7L PS Diesel
2016 Grand Design Solitude 379FL