cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

another my landing gear blows fuses thread

laudy
Explorer
Explorer
ok I will try not to get too long with this. given the fact the gear is all the way in (retracted) and rv is hooked on the truck (reg f250 diesel no lift kit). I lower the gear approx 8-10". (I need this much out so I can lower it into level position after unhooking) After I have 8-10" out I then pull the pins on the retracted feet and drop onto wood 4x4. I then start extending the landing gear and just before it extends far enough to drive out the fuse blows. I have had this unit and truck and have not modified anything. Here is what I have tried and has not corrected the problem. Replaced switch. Replaced venture gear box. Checked all connections for tightness. Tried to operate on battery only and also while hooked up to shore power. While the unit was hooked to truck I ran the legs all the way out by hand cranking so I could feel the stops then lubricated everything with grease and silicone. Couldnt feel any bind while hand cranking but it sounds like it is laboring hard just before i get it off the truck. Same happens when I extend and try to hook truck up. So tonight Iam replacing the motor and reducer. Iam out of ideas and money after this hope it works.
13 REPLIES 13

Wumba
Explorer
Explorer
I had similar issues. Replace the inline fuse with an auto reset circuit breaker.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
MountainAirMan wrote:
Not sure if it has any bearing on your situation, but I run my gear up or down for 30-45 seconds, then give it a rest. I'm not sure there's a duty cycle per se, but I like to let it cool down while I do other related errands around the rig.

I agree ,I do the same can't hurt

MountainAirMan
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure if it has any bearing on your situation, but I run my gear up or down for 30-45 seconds, then give it a rest. I'm not sure there's a duty cycle per se, but I like to let it cool down while I do other related errands around the rig.
Lyle (the other one)

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
laudy wrote:
bpounds wrote:
You said you lubricated. Did that include the leadscrews and follower nuts inside the leg? On mine you can't get to those without disassembling the legs, or as I did, drill small holes in the upper housing. I use chain and cable lube in a spray can. It is very clingy stuff. Now I can insert the spray can tube through the hole and really lube up those leadscrews.

Lube those screws, and then run them in and out a few times, with no weight on the legs.

Then, while you're working on it, get yourself a self-resetting breaker to replace the fuse. On most, 30A is the correct rating. Cheap at Amazon.

yes I did lube the leadscrews and ran them up and down with no weight on them. See following post from me. I think i fixed it.

I assume you tried a different style fuse . It has worked for some without issue. No burned up motor or wiring. won't go into detail ,seeing that you already went the new motor route .

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
laudy wrote:
Well picked up a new motor. That seems to do the trick. Ran the landing gear up and down as if I was simulating hooking and unhooking and leveling. Never popped the fuse. The motor never sounded like it was laboring at the tail end of the lift like the old motor did. Hope this was the answer.

One of the real no-no's with electric landing gear is to be sure NOT to run them to the stops on either end. That's when you really start breaking stuff, like shear pins, and stripping gears.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

laudy
Explorer
Explorer
bpounds wrote:
You said you lubricated. Did that include the leadscrews and follower nuts inside the leg? On mine you can't get to those without disassembling the legs, or as I did, drill small holes in the upper housing. I use chain and cable lube in a spray can. It is very clingy stuff. Now I can insert the spray can tube through the hole and really lube up those leadscrews.

Lube those screws, and then run them in and out a few times, with no weight on the legs.

Then, while you're working on it, get yourself a self-resetting breaker to replace the fuse. On most, 30A is the correct rating. Cheap at Amazon.

yes I did lube the leadscrews and ran them up and down with no weight on them. See following post from me. I think i fixed it.

laudy
Explorer
Explorer
Well picked up a new motor. That seems to do the trick. Ran the landing gear up and down as if I was simulating hooking and unhooking and leveling. Never popped the fuse. The motor never sounded like it was laboring at the tail end of the lift like the old motor did. Hope this was the answer.

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced my 20 amp fuse with a 20 amp circuit breaker. No more problem.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

echobot
Explorer
Explorer
My problem was a defective circuit breaker. Went to the auto store and bought a new one and the problem has never returned.

Hope this helps.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Another thought, could the gear be hitting the end of travel on the extension stroke? I know it's not likely, just throwing it out."

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. 8-10 inches is a long way to extend the legs before dropping the inner legs and starting to raise the trailer.

How big and how old is the trailer/fifth wheel?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
korbe wrote:
Two ideas. One, could a leg be bent that stresses the motor? Or two, could your landing gear motor also be trying to lift the truck hitch and not free to lift clear?

Another thought, could the gear be hitting the end of travel on the extension stroke? I know it's not likely, just throwing it out.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
Two ideas. One, could a leg be bent that stresses the motor? Or two, could your landing gear motor also be trying to lift the truck hitch and not free to lift clear?