cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another tire damage thread

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Not trailer tires. My truck tires. These are BFG Rugged Terrain, 275/70-18E. Threw the tread right off one of the rears. Did not deflate, but trashed the side of my bed. Felt something wrong with the ride, and even stopped and inspected the tires, and checked the lug nuts. Could not see a thing externally to suggest a loose tread. Back on freeway and it was only a couple of miles before it let go. Only had less than 20k miles and they had just been balanced and rotated 2 weeks ago. Fortunately I was not towing at the time. Truck goes in for surgery on Monday.

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver
39 REPLIES 39

barlow46
Explorer
Explorer
Pay close attention to how your insurance company treats your tire/tread separation and the resulting damage. They may show the damage as "collision" coverage instead of "comprehensive" as the tire caused the damage to the vehicle. A "picky" point but I had the same thing happen to me and lost the fight with my insurance company as to their categorizing. They ended up paying for the tire and the damage to the truck but it ended up being classified under "collision". No rate increase but I didn't agree with the decision.
2005 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV 42' ISL 400; Tag Axle; Residential Refrig (sold)
2004 F450, 6.0 auto, 4:30 pumpkin; BrakeSmart; 50 gal aux.tank, 2008 Mobile Suites RE3.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have asked RV.net to create a separate area for tire problems a number of times and they refuse to do that. Probably would paint to bad of an image of some of the tires they sell and of companies that advertise with them!

BFG seems to be having a lot of problems. People used the Commercial TA for years on trailers with few issues. Then about two years ago problems started happening. If you go to their web site most of the TA sizes are gone and there is now a Commercial TA 2, which has a listed weight of 41 pounds where as the old one was 44 pounds. LT235/85R16E

For a poly carcass LT trailer tire I think people should look at the Bridgestone Duravis R500 HD. This is a true commercial grade tire. I recently put them on my TV and am on a week long first trip towing with them. I will wright a report next week on them. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thats exactly what mine did. I thought I had a ujoint going bad, but was the tire. I was not towing so I got off the interstate, and drove slow to the house.
The tire had 29k miles, and 4wheel parts replaced it under warranty.

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
To close the loop on this thread - had a second tire tread separation. Luckily I felt this one and got off the road before the tire came apart. That makes 2 out of the 4 tires with tread separation. We were near the end of a 2,000 mile trip when I started feeling the rocking from this tire.

I had already put 2 new tires on the rear for the trip, and the last two of the originals on the front. I told BFG/Michelin that I didn't ever want to see those tires again, and they gave me 100%, 85%, 50% and 50% credit against the old tires and I bought a full set of a different tire.

Not easy to see, but this is a pic of the bulge. Found it by feel more than sight.

2006 F250 Diesel

Weldon
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:
Weldon wrote:
The last 6 BFG All terrain T/A tires I bought were all replaced due to tread separation. I have been told the last 10,000 miles of wear is the worst. None of my tires were on the recall.

Were these on your TV?

Yes, they were on the truck.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
mileshuff wrote:
Just had a Michelin LT265/70R17E LTX M/S2 throw the tread off. Did $2200 worth of damage to my truck. In looking at all 4 tires the sidewalls were badly cracked and the tread edges were dry rotted. Tires were 3 years old, 30,000 miles on them. I replaced all 4. Shop tossed out the tire that blew the tread despite me asking them not to so little chance of putting a claim in with my Michelin. I do still have 1 of the tires kept as a spare but I assume all Michelin will do is pro-rate it towards a new one. Hardly worth it. I'm out the $500 deductible.

Michelin has a recall on some M/S2's for this exact problem but my tires were not part of that recall.

IMO thousands more truck owners would benifit from this type of info than the 5th wheel forum as the LTX MS/2 is one of the more popular tire on a tow vehicle and not one of the better tread pattern for using on a trailer.

You might post on the tow vehicle forum about the LTX MS/2 having a recall.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
I will let you know.

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Just had a Michelin LT265/70R17E LTX M/S2 throw the tread off. Did $2200 worth of damage to my truck. In looking at all 4 tires the sidewalls were badly cracked and the tread edges were dry rotted. Tires were 3 years old, 30,000 miles on them. I replaced all 4. Shop tossed out the tire that blew the tread despite me asking them not to so little chance of putting a claim in with my Michelin. I do still have 1 of the tires kept as a spare but I assume all Michelin will do is pro-rate it towards a new one. Hardly worth it. I'm out the $500 deductible.

Michelin has a recall on some M/S2's for this exact problem but my tires were not part of that recall.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Tow vehicles please.

Yup. - Sure would seem like the appropriate forum..;)

Maybe other folks have had similar Tow Vehicle tire related problems - (they could be towing something *other than* a 5th wheel).

And... time to talk to the tire dealer about the tire warranty (road hazard, and/or?) you certainly have.

~

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
I received a letter in reply to my filing with BFG/Michelin. They asked for a little more info, and estimates for repair. I would say it was a first step toward paying for my damage. However, I am letting my insurance company deal with any subrogation they choose to pursue, so I probably won't know if there is any restitution made.

There was only about $1,750 worth of damage, and that includes a new tire. It sure looked worse to me.
2006 F250 Diesel

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
Please keep us posted as to what BFG says and does.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
The tire just sunk in so it must be a ply failure.
No more BFG's for me.

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
garyp4951 wrote:
bpounds wrote:
Not trailer tires. My truck tires. These are BFG Rugged Terrain, 275/70-18E. Threw the tread right off one of the rears. Did not deflate, but trashed the side of my bed. Felt something wrong with the ride, and even stopped and inspected the tires, and checked the lug nuts. Could not see a thing externally to suggest a loose tread. Back on freeway and it was only a couple of miles before it let go. Only had less than 20k miles and they had just been balanced and rotated 2 weeks ago. Fortunately I was not towing at the time. Truck goes in for surgery on Monday.

I have the same tires, and yesterday noticed some vibrations, so I better check mine out.
Thanks for the post.

Well I looked at my BFG Rugged Terrains, and didn't see anything until today when the vibrations got bad. I turned my side mirror down to watch the tires, and the driver rear looked bad out of round. I pulled off of the highway, and there was a big depression in the tread, but no sign of coming apart.
The tires have 25k miles, and 2-1/2 years old, but I did buy a warranty, so we'll see what they do.