cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Problems with your 6.7L diesel on Ford F350 ?????

bobandvicki
Explorer
Explorer
Have 2004 Ford F350 6.0L that has been a nightmare. Getting ready to get a 2015 F350 then saw that the 6.7 has had a lot of troubles. After my 6.0L troubles should I be leary. Want to hear from those with 2012-2015 F250/350s if you have had any problems. Thank you. Bob

Thank you for all your input. Got a better deal on a 2015 3500 Ram than I could make on the F350 so that's what I did. Glad to see how many were so pleased with their Fords. Not enough space here to list all the problems I had with my 6.0
2015 3500 RAM Diesel Longbed 4x4 Dually

2015 39ft Heartland Big Country 3650 5th Wheel
92 REPLIES 92

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
blofgren wrote:
I too had a 6.0L that I wouldn't classify as one of the nightmare trucks but it was starting to have issues that I knew were going to be expensive so I chose to upgrade. I got hosed on resale value on the 6.0L as most people do because they are not a desirable truck.

In regards to the Ford 6.7L, they are hands down much better than the 6.0L was. They had a fair few problems when they came out but the main one that scared me away was the high pressure fuel pump failures that trashes the entire fuel system to the tune of around $12k plus that Ford tends not to warranty. There is a forum member here named Ricatic that had a 2011 Ford 6.7L that this happened to that Ford would not warranty; I am very thankful that he was very open about his nightmare (which Ford did not cover under warranty) because it helped me make a much more informed decision.

I would also encourage you to look at the complexity of the Ford 6.7L under the hood compared to the Ram Cummins 6.7L; you will quickly see how much more complex the Ford is which will certainly lead to higher repair costs in the future.

I knew that I was going to keep my truck for a very long time so repair costs was a major consideration for me. I had the issues with the 6.0L and just simply decided that I needed to open my eyes on an upgrade. I made a change after 20 years of owning Fords and I have no regrets. I would strongly recommend you have a look at all of the brands prior to simply jumping into another Ford. JMHO.

My logic on the Cummins vs the Powerstroke was identical. I did a lot of research and went into the process expecting to buy a Powerstroke, but at the end of the day I found myself surprised to be faced with what I determined was a very obvious choice. The Super Duty is a nice truck and the 6.7 PS performance is fantastic, but I just felt like the Ram with Cummins was a much safer bet for long term reliability and simpler repairs.

I have no brand loyalty whatsoever - I've had good luck with Ford trucks in the past and this is my first Ram. I intend to keep the truck a long time but when it is time to replace it, I'll again give everything on the market a fair shake.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Arcamper wrote:
I find it interesting that you look at the first page of this post and there are 19 response's to the OP. Of that 19 there are 8 who have had some type of problem (almost 50%)and 4 are engine related not counting the blown hose that would make it 5 or over 25% of those posting have had an engine related problem. At least its just sensors. None of the big 3 are perfect and my Ram has had 5 recalls but none were for the engine. I had a 2003 F250 6.0 that was not a bad truck for 11 years but like many who took a bath on resale I said never another Ford pickup. Between the 2 new Rams I bought and being able to talk 3 others out of buying Fords I feel better knowing I hit Ford for a about a quarter million dollars after they took money out of my pocket. I still think Ford makes a good truck its just not for me.

Very good point and well said. At least Ford looked after the repairs on their dime like they should have.

I agree with you 100% in that I could not get myself to shell out a bunch more of my hard earned $ to buy another Ford after taking such a bath on the last one. Especially when as an owner you get to play Russian roulette with the HPFP. No thanks, although I would still be a sucker for a premium 7.3L/6 speed manual combo.

I also think it is inevitable that the Ford 6.7L trucks will be very expensive to own in years to come when they are out of warranty given that they are so complex.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Johnny_H
Explorer
Explorer
The only problem I have with any of my 6.7's is the fact that the dang fuel tanks will not stay full./ I have 3 F-250's and 1 F-350 with a combined mileage of a little over 350,000. So, yeah I would say that the ones I have are pretty solid engines, but the one you buy may be a PITA, after all they are build by people.
Johnny & Cindy
Missie - Yellow Lab
Bubba - Rescued pup
Bopper -Rescued pup

ken_burke
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2011 350 with 62000 miles. I pull a 15,000 pound 5th wheel. I am very happy with it. The only problem I had was a failed water pump, which was replaced under warranty, even though the truck was several miles past the warranty date.
ken
2011 Ford F-350 6.7 diesel, Crew Cab, LB, SRW, 4X4, White
Cedar Creek 34SB, 37 feet 5th wheel, Reese 20K Hitch
"So many questions, so little time."

stevewise
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2014 F350 SRW KR with 45,000 miles mostly towing a 14,500lb 5er and have had no problems.
'15 Sierra 377FLIK
'14 Ford F350 SRW King Ranch
DW and Cricket the Chihuahua

Travlingman
Explorer II
Explorer II
bobandvicki wrote:
Have 2004 Ford F350 6.0L that has been a nightmare. Getting ready to get a 2015 F350 then saw that the 6.7 has had a lot of troubles. After my 6.0L troubles should I be leary. Want to hear from those with 2012-2015 F250/350s if you have had any problems. Thank you. Bob

Have a 2012 and have had no problems. Engine is strong with good low end power and pulls rig with no problems through the mountains with no effort.

So far in this thread, the only ones with issues with buying one have never owned one. :h
2017 F-350 King Ranch DRW
2014 Landmark Savannah(sold)
2022 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
I have no idea why what other's buy with their money get no many others worked up???

Worry about the USA!!

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Helmsey
Explorer
Explorer
2011 F-450 with 133,000 on it. Only issue I've had with it was a coolant leak on the secondary cooling system.
KK4PFX
2015 Chevy 3500HD LTZ Dually
2013 Sandpiper 365SAQ

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
alexleblanc wrote:
the 6.7 has proven to be extremely reliable up to date, problem is people post about issues, not great reliability. The 1% having troubles can be very vocal. Mines got 70k km's and has been trouble free to date.

Very true, and when the cost is 10,500-12,000 to fix a failed CP4.2 injection pump and the manufacturer refusing to cover it under your warranty, it tends to make the head lines.

As stated earlier both GM and VW fix these pump issues without blaming the consumer. Ford highly deserved black eye is for not standing behind there product. We just purchased a new truck with a CP3 injection pump, if we had purchased a truck with a CP4.2 pump it would have been a GM based on these warranty coverage issues.

I would bet that most people that have had a GM CP4.2 pump failure and not even aware that that was the issue. As GM just fixes it and gives in back to the owner "all fixed and ready to go" enjoy!

Given the 6.0 and 6.4 track record, this has not been very smart on Ford's part. Or the failure numbers are higher than we know and it would effect their bottom line more by masking over the problem than p!$$!ng off a small group of customers. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Arcamper
Explorer
Explorer
I find it interesting that you look at the first page of this post and there are 19 response's to the OP. Of that 19 there are 8 who have had some type of problem (almost 50%)and 4 are engine related not counting the blown hose that would make it 5 or over 25% of those posting have had an engine related problem. At least its just sensors. None of the big 3 are perfect and my Ram has had 5 recalls but none were for the engine. I had a 2003 F250 6.0 that was not a bad truck for 11 years but like many who took a bath on resale I said never another Ford pickup. Between the 2 new Rams I bought and being able to talk 3 others out of buying Fords I feel better knowing I hit Ford for a about a quarter million dollars after they took money out of my pocket. I still think Ford makes a good truck its just not for me.
2016 Montana 3100RL Legacy(LT's,Joy Rider 2's,disc brakes)
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Cummins/Aisin 14,000 GVWR
2014 Ford Expedition Limited, HD tow pkg
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
1999 Stingray 240LS
1994 Chevy 1500 5.7 PU
2018 John Deere 1025R
B&W RVK3600 Hitch

blenhardt
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2011 F350 with 6.7 and have had no problems. Has 46k miles with 95% of those miles pulling our fiver. A great pulling truck with good fuel mileage.
2013 Redwood Model 34SK, 2011 F350 4X4 CC Dually

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
W5CI wrote:
For my first Diesel I went with A RAM 3500 Cummins DRW, Cummins has been around a very long time

Well now then, Good for you..
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0

SkiSmuggs
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2015 F350 with 18,500 miles on it, much of it towing a 10K fifth wheel across country and back. No issues and a great truck. Just use a quality fuel additive like Opti-Lube Summer to minimize water issues and keep injectors and pump running well.
2015 F350 XLT PSD 6.7 Crew Cab, Andersen Ultimate hitch
2012 Cougar High Country 299RKS 5th wheel, Mor/Ryde pinbox, 300w of solar

dschamp
Explorer
Explorer
alexleblanc wrote:
the 6.7 has proven to be extremely reliable up to date, problem is people post about issues, not great reliability. The 1% having troubles can be very vocal. Mines got 70k km's and has been trouble free to date.

X2

Love my 2015 F-350. Trouble free, pulls like a champ and the fuel mileage is impressive for a full sized truck.
2015 F-350, 4X4, SCrew, 6.7 diesel
2016 Artic Fox 27-5L

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7