cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back to basic 5'er Mfg'er?

AndyLyyc
Explorer
Explorer
Need some direction from some of the RV shoppers around here...

We outgrew our 80's Frontier 20'er, our new little guy needs a berth

Started some looking, but everything we see is completely inappropriate for our camping scenarios... Everything I see is way too massive to even consider getting NEAR our trails.

this is our current rig:

(layout with a rental last year - mine was in for a transmission at the time)

I want - the same darn 5th - just one bed bigger and maybe with a better layout. 🙂

My "wish list" - I want a basic RV - no slides, no generator, no A/C or TVs or toys, largely we need a place to sleep... Low profile like mine (it's now MASSIVELY pinstriped, we like our jeep trails). But pre-wired for solar would be awesome, and if it's not insane $ - maybe an outside kitchen (happy wife happy life scenario)

Any thoughts? My perusal of the usual suspects shows - the big RV park type 5th wheels only on their websites.
18 REPLIES 18

Mik68
Explorer
Explorer
If you can wait for one to be made check out ForksRV they make the Axiom, light weight, low profile. Maybe a little pricey!

resmas
Explorer
Explorer
AndyLyyc wrote:
Not going the horse trailer route, holy swizzlesticks those are $$$$$$$$.

"Living quarters" horse trailers can be ungodly expensive, or they can be downright affordable. It all depends on how many "bells and whistles" you want.

I've shopped extensively for LQ (aka living quarters) gooseneck horse trailers, and have found brand-new basic models as low as ~20K. These models generally have no slides, about 6-8' LQ area which contains a queen bed in the nose, cabinets, sink, stove, microwave, and a "wet" bathroom. The horse compartment can be 2-3 horses, sometimes 4 horses in size - so plenty big enough to be converted to a 2nd room with bunkbeds for the kids, loveseat, TV, etc. You can even have a ramp for loading toys. The high end manufacturers produce a darn near airtight compartment, and when insulated, it can maintain a comfortable temperature with minimal effort. A/C can be installed in LQ and horse compartment, and it is very easy to find models that also have a walk-thru door from the LQ portion to the horse area, making the whole trailer accessible from the front door. It is super simple to remove all the dividers and hardware out of the horse area, too.

Since 1999, I have owned a succession of Sundowner gooseneck horse trailers, from 36' long (4 horse) to 25' long (2 horse). We converted the 2 horse into a camper for my parents while we lived in Alaska, and they were completely comfortable and happy staying in it for 3 weeks. It was not a LQ model, but was fully lined and insulated. All we did was strip the "horse" stuff out of it, lay down carpet, put in a couch, space heater, plastic drawer units, coffee maker, etc. and we were ready to go (all that was in the horse area, the tack room in front was their bedroom)... They had a portapotty if needed, otherwise they used the CG facilities.

I wouldn't write off a horse trailer yet. Just shop around a bit, peruse the internet more, and you might find exactly what you want. You can order a trailer customized just like you can an RV, so the possibilities are endless, without breaking your budget.
2012 Dutchmen Voltage Epic 3795
2010 Dodge 3500 DRW MC
2009 GMC 2500 DA CC
2012 Smart-for-two (sometimes hitches a ride in the Voltage!)
2005 Sundowner Sunlite 777

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
AndyLyyc wrote:
Yeah, the arctic fox has a slide... no slides.

I've spent way too much time helping others get their fubared slides closed, after looking at 20+ of these, I've decided they're for highway use only, take them out into the rough - and they'll fail in short order.

Would love a scamp - or another oldie - but reality says i should go newish - dont have the time for maintenance/repairs to keep on top of an older unit.

Edit - that and FRP siding sounds good, getting tired of pinstripes and hail damage 🙂

My Komfort has been camping off-road more than on, and our 14' slide has given us no problems. I've not taken a vent off, but I =have= had one of the younger set sitting on the roof as I pull in to my usual site, with a limb saw to make sure I don't snag any branches. 🙂

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Copperlisa
Explorer
Explorer
Found this on the Camping World site. Very similar to the 5er our friends now have.

Nice price too...

http://www.campingworld.com/rvsales/Fifth-Wheel-Trailer/1999/Forest-River-Cherokee/285875/

AndyLyyc
Explorer
Explorer
Hah! Learn something new every day...

Unfortunately the 19' just doesn't seem like it'll be big enough, still leaves us one bed short...

Not going the horse trailer route, holy swizzlesticks those are $$$$$$$$.

Surprising how the manufacturers are all doing slides, and these huge vertical profiles. I'm sure its nice to stand up in bed, but I'd rather crawl into bed and save a fortune on fuel... (and its bad enough i bring replacement vents - and expect to install them before I'm home)

Michael_in_MN
Explorer
Explorer
AndyLyyc wrote:

Would love a scamp - or another oldie - but reality says i should go newish

Scamps are still being made - brand new.
-----------------------------
LivinLite Camplite 16BHB
2015 Silverado 1500

mdamerell
Explorer
Explorer
Since you are going off road I'd look for a horse trailer with sleeping quarters. Built more rugged, pretty basic and low profile. Convert the horse bays into a bedroom or area for some toys.

Gooseneck pulls like the 5th wheel but more movement for the off road.
2012 Sundance 3100RB w/Reese Goose Box
2004 Ford F350 6.0 L PSD, CC, DRW, long bed, B&W drop ball hitch, Firestone Ride-rite air bags.

Alley_Fox
Explorer
Explorer
OK, Arctic Fox 21 5R, no slide. Very popular, very rugged, very hard to find. Northwood makes their own steel "I" beam frames so they are strong. Even the bigger ones with slides don't flex enough to bind the slide.
2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T
04.5 GMC Duramax SLT CCLB turbo brake Isspros
B&W Companion, Tekonsha, EFI Live by Rob Coddens, Ride Rite air
5th Airborne

Alley_Fox
Explorer
Explorer
OK, Arctic Fox 21 5R, no slide. Very popular, very rugged, very hard to find. Northwood makes their own steel "I" beam frames so they are tough. Even the bigger ones with slides don't flex enough to bind the slide.
2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T
04.5 GMC Duramax SLT CCLB turbo brake Isspros
B&W Companion, Tekonsha, EFI Live by Rob Coddens, Ride Rite air
5th Airborne

AndyLyyc
Explorer
Explorer
We've found the 5ths way better off the beaten track, when the going gets ugly the 5th plants the rear - and the trailer tends to not slide sideways down the slope when your on wet clay... overall length is shorter, pivot ahead of the rear bumper lets us maneuver the combination better. We've owned and run all 3 - tc/tt/5th - the 5th just works better in our experience...

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Why does it have to be a fiver? You'll find a lot more choices in the low end category if you look at bumper pulls. And they should be better off road too.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Copperlisa
Explorer
Explorer
Mechanical slides will work when at a slight angle, where hydraulics are much more picky. I'll take my older Jayco any day. If we were only weekending, no slides would be great, like the 96 Terry Expo 21LB5 we sold our friends. But we're fulltiming now, and so the two slides are great.

It's all in what you want/need. But be picky if going older.

2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD Ext. Cab 4x4 6.0
1998 Jayco Designer 2930RKS

AndyLyyc
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, the arctic fox has a slide... no slides.

I've spent way too much time helping others get their fubared slides closed, after looking at 20+ of these, I've decided they're for highway use only, take them out into the rough - and they'll fail in short order.

Would love a scamp - or another oldie - but reality says i should go newish - dont have the time for maintenance/repairs to keep on top of an older unit.

Edit - that and FRP siding sounds good, getting tired of pinstripes and hail damage 🙂

Swamp_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I second the vote on the Arctic Fox 23-5A!
Steve & Trudy Jackson
2018 Cyclone 4005
2016 Ford F-450 6.7 PSD
AirSafe 25K hitch