cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

BAL Accu-Slide Frustations

djousma
Explorer
Explorer
All, I'm here mostly to vent about my problems, and looking for any feedback if you have had work done on your cable driven bedroom slide. I've got a 2017 3850RL that we took delivery of in June of 2016. By the end of camping season in 2016, the bedroom slide had developed the oddest leak that would show itself as water on the steps to the bedroom, sometimes....not all the time, and the amount of rain doesn't seem to matter so much, as the length of time it rained. Had been to the dealer a few times to find the leak, to no avail. they had been over the roof several times blah blah blah... The Cardinal even went back to the motherland this past fall, where they took good care of me, and replaced all slide seals, plus a laundry list of other problems, and ran it through their rain bay. Still the leak persists. Being an IT guy, I started to analyze the situation. So, last week, it finally dawned on me that it never leaks with the slide closed, so that rules out roof, and a multitude of other possibilities, and conversely, points the finger to whatever is exposed with the slide open. A little googling on the cable driven slide mechanism type (BAL ACCU-Slide by NORCO), turns up a multitude of complaints with water getting in via the cable mechanism, running down the cables, and dripping off the bottom pulley system. This is exactly where I've noticed the water coming from, and reaching up into there with my hand when leaking, always finds the pulley wet. So, I start investigating, and find that the lower cable on that side has an elongated hole created by the cable acting like a saw when extending/retracting. My next step was to apply a bit of black silicone on the outside of the rubber gasket to close that hole up a bit. This was a BIG mistake. Evidently, I must have pushed a bit of it into the hole, where it proceeded to get onto one/both of the pulley's.... When I went to retract the slide I was getting a clunk, clunk, clunk with each revolution...but that went away pretty quick, so I assumed that the torque of the slide just stripped the silicone out... So, I go to extend the slide, and its much worse.. clunk, hesitation, clunk, hesitation. Now its getting worse, like something is stripping out.... I've got a call into the dealer to schedule service.

So, it was still bugging me that this all occurred in the first place, so yesterday I get my tape measure out, and find that the distance from the bottom of the slide to where the cable enters the slide frame at the wall is 7 1/2", and the measurement of where the cable attaches to the outside of the slide, measures 7". A quick check of the other 3 cables show that there is no difference in measurement between slide and frame. It is clear to me that the builders mounted the standoff plate to the slide exactly 1/2" too low, and is the root cause to creating the sawing action, and what is now a 1/2" long hole that is allowing the water to enter. Luckily, the standoff Forest River uses, has 3 cable attachment locations, all 1/2" apart, so I was able to slightly loosen the cable, and move it to the next slot up, and re-tighten, so the root cause of problem itself has been fixed.

Now, I just have to have the dealer figure out what I damaged in the slide mechanism.....All very frustrating. Of course, we were supposed to leave on a 5 week trip this coming weekend....that is now in jeopardy.

Has anyone here got any experience in the serviceability of these mechanisms? I don't see how to expose the internal pulley's for inspection/repair, although I'd be surprised if you couldn't. I didn't want to risk making my problems worse...
Dave
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
2017 Forest River Cardinal 3850RL
10 REPLIES 10

djousma
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, so dealer fixed the slide. Caulk in the pulleys was not the problem. Seems factory adjusted the cables way to tight when it was in, and that stripped the gears out.

That said, water is still wicking into the trailer at that cable location. I found a drip hanging from that cable all the way in where it attaches to the adjustment block on the drive chain. I've emailed my dealer. I'm going to get my clothespin and try that too.

At my wit's end. Oh, and I still have water dripping from the pinbox area from my nose cap. Anyone seen that too?

Dave
Dave

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Learjet wrote:
no leaks on my bedroom ACCU-Slide...seems like a install problem vs. a design issue.

And this surprises...anyone?

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

djousma
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for all the replies. She's at the dealer now getting looked at. In fact there was a installation error at the factory, causing the leak. the rest of the headache was self-induced...and thats got me PO'd.
Dave

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
no leaks on my bedroom ACCU-Slide...seems like a install problem vs. a design issue.
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
I have had 3 5er's 2 of them have had the cable slides for the bedroom and I have never had leaks from the cables themselves and Never had any issues with them in General, to access the interior cables and pulleys which I have done many times to lube the pulleys etc.. is to suck in the bed slide half way and get on the bed and look over the top and you will see everything also go to You Tube and there will be Videos on how to service them if they break etc...
2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2007 3500HD GMC Dually LBZ Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Almost all Titaniums since 2006 have Accu-Slides and almost nobody on the owner's forum has reported leaks in the slide system. Lots of leaks in several thousand Titaniums, but not in the bedroom slides.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
NONE of my rv,s leaked. no slide.nick I don,t agree .

djousma
Explorer
Explorer
Well, shes at the dealer. they didnt seem to concerned about getting at it. And yea, none of this would have happened if water wasnt leaking in.
Dave

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
midnightsadie wrote:
seems a lot of folks have some kind slide problem. I noticed this years back. so I never bought a rv with a slide ,and don,t miss them. hope you get your system fixed and working good. THEN SELL IT. good luck on getting things going your way.
I don't happen to see it the same way you do. He isn't having a problem with his slide, his slide seems to be working just fine. He is having a problem with water getting in. That happens on thousands of trailer even those that have no slides. I'm pretty sure the percentage of people that have no problems with their slides far out number the people that do.

Matter of fact, your chances of having water intrusion from any source far out weighs your chances of having any other issue by leaps and bounds. Yet you still bought a RV.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
seems a lot of folks have some kind slide problem. I noticed this years back. so I never bought a rv with a slide ,and don,t miss them. hope you get your system fixed and working good. THEN SELL IT. good luck on getting things going your way.