cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery problem

revflyr
Explorer
Explorer
I have a new Thunderbolt 386x12 that every time I put it in storage for even a week, it will draw the battery down to where it will not have enough power to raise the gear. I always turn off the disconnect.
The dealer is telling me that even with the disconnect turned off there is still phantom draws that will run the battery down. Now that is new to me, I always thought that there should be no 12 volt power anywhere when the disconnect is off. The disconnect seems very cheap as it will override the off position some. Also when turning the switch back on, it turns the sound system on. The dealer is telling me that also happens on some of the newer sound systems. Anyone else have this issue. Thanks
12 REPLIES 12

butchfuzion
Explorer
Explorer
The problem with this is in the terminology. The built in "Battery Disconnect" (n the control panel on my Fuzion) doesn't disconnect everything. You can install one as suggested by posters which disconnects everything from the batteries.

64thunderbolt
Explorer II
Explorer II
spend a little more and get a good one. I use the 250a switch that is used on race cars. Summit Racing for about $25.
Glen
04 Tail gator XT 34' 5th wheel garage model
200w solar 2 GC2's 800w inv
Truma tankless WH
99 F350 CC DRW 7.3 ais intake, adrenaline hpop, JW valve body,
cooling mist water inj, DP tunes, 4" exh sys
trucool trans cooler added
2011 RZR 900xp

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Your dealer is full of hogwash.

Your disconnect is wired wrong. You will need to trace the wiring and correct.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer

64thunderbolt
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some fact switches do not completely shut if off. I always run EVERY load wire to the switch. Put the switch on the battery or close to them & make sure nothing else is connected to the pos side of the batt. If it is on the grd side & has a gen it will grd through the gen mounting & still draw.
Glen
04 Tail gator XT 34' 5th wheel garage model
200w solar 2 GC2's 800w inv
Truma tankless WH
99 F350 CC DRW 7.3 ais intake, adrenaline hpop, JW valve body,
cooling mist water inj, DP tunes, 4" exh sys
trucool trans cooler added
2011 RZR 900xp

big_buford
Explorer
Explorer
Large cable to gen is for starter, no juice flowing until start switch is pushed. How do your batteries work when camping? Last a good while before you have to recharge? What battery/batteries do you have ?
04.5 GMC 2500HD D/A
06 38 CKS Dune Chaser
Chenowth 4-seat 3.5 honda
15 maverick xds
Beautiful wife that's much nicer than me:B

revflyr
Explorer
Explorer
I'm talking about the main battery disconnect. It's mounted on storage wall next to the battery area. I have had 3 other 5th wheels that where never a problem when I would turn off the switch, I would even hear the Lp monitor chirp when the power was killed. This is the first time that I have had a generator and it looks like the power cable from the battery to the gen set does not go thru the disconnect switch. Could this be back feeding thru the gen set wiring so as to explain the phanton draw?

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
These kind of battery switches are popular among the Rv users...

This would be installed so you can completely disconnect the DC Battery from your trailer circuit. Same as removing the battery cable...

My fifth wheel has three things connected to the 12VDC battery being the main DC cable going to the on-board converter/charger unit with the DC Distribution Panel, one going to the emergency disconnect switch switch to provide power for the trailer brakes if the trailer becomes disconnected from the truck when going down the road, and the third cable provides power to trailer slides.

My trailer did not come with a disconnect switch so I always remove the negative battery terminal when leaving the trailer in an extended storage thing.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
revflyr wrote:

The dealer is telling me that even with the disconnect turned off there is still phantom draws that will run the battery down.

What "disconnect" are you talking about? Yes, if you have a battery disconnect on the battery lines (usually right near the batteries), ALL power should be shut off between the battery and the camper. Your disconnect either isn't working, or it is something different.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Add a modest solar system
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

upstech76
Explorer
Explorer
Buy a disconnect and mount it at the battery or disconnect one of the cables while in storage. Anytime my trailer sits for more than a week I try to disconnect the battery to prevent my CO2/LP alarm from killing the battery. If you take this route make sure you connect it back up prior to towing as this usually provides power for your brakes in a break away situation.
2013 Forest River Puma 28'

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
The dealer is correct. On most RVs there are phantom draws. The only way to prevent it is with a disconnect at the battery itself or use a maintainer/charger.
Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad