cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bed Rail clearance & towing level

huskerhiker
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2015 GMC 2500 and am towing an Attitude 28SAG toyhauler. No toys at this point. Hitch is a Pullrite Superglide 16k

My bed rail clearance hooked up is right around 4.5-5 inches. However, I just added a tonneau cover which has a lip to support a utility rack that sits about 1.5 inches above the bed rail. This leaves me 3-3.5 inches of clearance which is pretty tight.

My trailer setup has the trailer sitting just slightly nose high.

I have 3 options that I've thought about (if you have other ideas please let me know.

1) When towing the trailer take the tonneau off. Probably take 10 minutes. But lose the functionality of having it. Some trips it would probably be nice, other trips possibly a nuisance. Rail clearance still probably not optimal.

2) Drop the pin box. Moving the pin box would drop it 2.5 inches given where the pin box bolts/holes are vs would go.

3) Buy superglides 3 inch lift ($150) for my hitch. With this on I would still be able to fit my hitch under the tonneau around town if I choose (if that wasn't the case no need to go this route... just lose the tonneau)

Option 3 seems to give me the most options as I could use it with the tonneau, or not use it without the tonneau.

Question 1 - any functional differences I should think about between dropping pinbox vs lifting hitch?

Question 2 - How nose high is too high? I'd probably be 4-5 ) inches nose high if I added 3 inches lift to the nose.

Recommendations?

Thx
3 REPLIES 3

golf_bears
Explorer
Explorer
Wood chip is correct, 6" should be minimum and nose high at 4"-5" is too much.

That said, your solution is to raise the your RV. Also depending on how much squat there is on the TV when hooked up you may want to consider air bags.

Look at the RV suspension system and see if there is any adjustment available that will allow the raising of the RV.

Shackle adjustment or axle flips are two common approaches. Short of that your only option may be to raise the RV by having rectangular tubes welded to the frame.

hbillsmith
Explorer
Explorer
How about leave the hard tonneau at home and use a soft roll up when you are on the road.
Wildcat2016-295rsx GMC2015-2500HD-DblCab D'max/Allisn+4x4 6.6'Bed
Maxxis235/80/16E;Andersen Ultimate2+4"offset;Airlft1 WirelessComp;GroundCtrl3;MorRyde RubbPinBox+CRE3000;3-Slidecovrs;Champion3100w/DIY ExtndRun;10'Portabote+5hp;Furrion48cam
Visited States

Wood_chip
Explorer
Explorer
Most would say 6" clear is the minimum bedrail clearance. Most would also say 4-5" nose high is too much. Given the choice between the two, I would go with the bedrail clearance and stay nose high. Are trailer springs on top of or mounted under the axle ? Jacking the trailer up would get you both the clearance and less nose high.
2017 Chevy HD 3500 Dually LTZ D/A combo crew cab / Bilstein 4600's / Ride Rite air bags w remote / 50 gal transfer flow Aux tank / Trailersaver BD5
2020 Arctic Fox 32-5m with most options + 17.5 wheel & tire combo