cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best Truck

Roadking5002
Explorer
Explorer
What is the best truck for towing 16,000 lb 5th wheel. I have been looking at the Dodge 2500 Cummins and the ford 250. not sure What do you think
47 REPLIES 47

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Or you can read the real story with an independent test.The k&n myth.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

cdlaine
Explorer
Explorer
or you could read what K&N states and decide for yourself....;)

please pass the popcorn.

Charles

23. Some air filter companies tout their high filtration levels in the 99th percentile. Doesn't higher filtration mean a better air filter?

No. The quality of an air filter can only be judged by reviewing all four important characteristics. 1) Restriction while loading with dust; 2) Filtration efficiency as a percentage; 3) Dust holding capacity before the filter needs cleaning or replacement ; and 4) filter life. Any company designing an air filter must make choices about these four characteristics and how their filter will perform in each area. Generally speaking, each characteristic of an air filter has an inverse relationship to at least one of the others, meaning, as filtration efficiency goes up, restriction increases and capacity or service life decreases. So an air filter manufacturer can design an air filter to have ultra high filtration efficiency by compromising the filters restriction, capacity, and/or service life. We judge the quality of an air filter based upon the proper balance of these four essential criteria. Maximizing one at the expense of others sounds more like a marketing goal rather than an engineering goal. So the basic answer to the original question is that higher filtration is not necessarily a good thing when it comes at the expense of restriction, reusability and/or capacity. While the benefits of a filter with 99.9% filtration are unknown, the benefits of low restriction are measurable and clear. Low restriction helps an engine perform more efficiently generating more power and torque.

That would lead a reasonable person to ask what then is a safe level of filtration. This question is literally unanswered. Minimum air filter specifications are generally not called out in vehicle owners' manuals, nor will you find much published information on air filtration requirements from vehicle manufacturers. We have never seen a scientific study concluding what levels of filtration efficiency correspond to various levels of engine wear. Some large air filter companies do not even publish information on the efficiencies of the air filters they manufacture. It is K&N's opinion that both the Fine and Coarse Test Dust mixtures used in air filter testing contain such a high concentration of small particles that even filtration efficiency numbers as low as 90% may provide adequate engine protection. Remember that almost 11% of COARSE test dust is smaller than 5.5 microns (the size of a red blood cell). For a detailed explanation of our testing protocol, click here.

The fact is that an engine is not a pristine environment. Fuel enters after passing through a fuel filter, combines with air which is ignited to explode in a pressurized chamber. The combustion is not 100% efficient and leaves residues behind that must be flushed from the engine. Engines have tolerances or measured gaps between surface areas. While there are few if any studies on engine wear, it would seem reasonable to speculate that particles less than 5.5 microns create little engine wear unless ingested at very high levels of concentration. As support for this theory, consider the filtration levels provided by fuel filters and oil filters that sometimes tout their ability to filter particles above 10 or 20 microns.

If you really want to compare two air filters, you need to know all four characteristics mentioned above. Consumers can then choose what matters most to them. But comparing two air filters with only one piece of information is like saying a bicycle is better than a car based solely on a comparison of mileage. Yes the mileage is better, but a car has a few other benefits (speed, comfort, keeps you dry in wet weather) that just may offset the mileage disadvantage.

We design air filters to provide low restriction throughout the filter's service interval. We seek the best balance between airflow and filtration recognizing they are inversely related. After nearly 40 years in business with millions of air filters sold, we have a track record you can trust and the experience that can only be earned through years of focusing on just one thing. But even our experience is not enough. We operate a fully staffed air filtration lab that operates on a year round basis with two test stands. The lab was designed by Southwest Research and is calibrated regularly to ensure our test results are reliable. This testing is an essential ingredient in verifying our air filters meet our own high standards of excellence. Making a great air filter is no accident and we are confident our air filters provide outstanding engine protection with huge air flow advantages throughout the air filter's service interval. That's why we back up our replacement air filters with both a Million Mile Warranty and our Consumer Protection Pledge.

K&N's air filtration lab tests air filters according to ISO5011 test protocol. The ISO (International Organization for Standardization) is an international organization which establishes standards used by different industries worldwide. The ISO does not establish any standards for an air filter's effectiveness; they establish standards for the testing procedures used to find air filters' capacities and efficiencies only under the fixed and chosen parameters of the test being conducted. In the case of engine air filters, the ISO5011 test ensures consistency in the procedure used to test a filter's initial restriction, initial efficiency, cumulative (full-life) efficiency, and dust holding capacity. Using a standardized test procedure and disclosing the user selected variables ensures the same test can be run anywhere around the world. Some of the requirements of the ISO5011 test procedure are that the temperature of the test lab must be maintained at 23 degrees Celsius +/- 5 degrees Celsius, and the relative humidity of the test lab must be maintained at 55% +/- 15%, for the entire duration of the test. During the test at each weighing stage (when the mass of the filter is found) the humidity can only vary +/- 2%. Also, all test dust which is fed into the air filter must be "found" after the test is completed. That means if 10 grams of test dust is fed to the filter during the test, but only 8 grams of dust is found trapped in the filter after the test, part of the ISO5011 test procedure requires that the remaining 2 grams of dust must be found. The dust could be in the air filter housing, the air duct, or the absolute filter which traps any dust that passes through the air filter, but wherever it is it must be accounted for. If any of the requirements of the ISO test procedure are not met, the test is not valid. A company's participation in testing using ISO5011 test procedures is strictly voluntary. Conducting an ISO5011 test requires a considerable investment in both time and equipment, and many air filter companies simply do not have the resources to complete an ISO test in-house. K&N views this test procedure as a valuable part of our research and development process.

24. More airflow means you are letting more dirt through, right?

No. Filtration testing measures the percentage of dust retained before the filter reaches a terminal test pressure, often 10" of restriction above initial restriction. We use airflow as a simplified term to explain a more complicated physical process. The more precise description is restriction: K&N air filters create less restriction which helps an engine run better. An engine will only use the air it needs and our air filters do not result in an engine using more air than necessary. Rather, they result in the engine experiencing less restriction. The terms airflow and restriction are inversely related. Our air filters provide either less restriction at a fixed airflow rate; or more airflow as a fixed level of restriction. In neither case is more air being used than necessary.
2003 2500HD, 8.1L,CC,4.10,2WD,Allison
Standard bed
Ride-rite air bags
Prodigy
Husky 16K sliding

2013 Artic Fox 29-5T Silver Fox Ed.
Pin wt.(CAT Scale) 2660#
5th (Cat Scale) 12600#

I'll want the Frim Fram sauce with the Ausen Fey with
Chafafa on the side.... Nat

MPI_Mallard
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the heads-up, I guess as I live/stay on the east coast I should be OK, gotta' luv this forum!!!
07' Dodge 3500 6 speed Cummins Diesel Dually/6.7L Bully-Chipped /
Exhst Brake/07' Cedar Creek 37CDTSD Daydreamer fiver
Mallard @ Frau Blรผcher

Red Green:
Now lets Bow your heads for the men's prayer.
I am a man, but I can change.
If I have to, I guess...

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
MPI_Mallard wrote:
I'm surprised to hear the negative comments on the K@N air filter! I've had one on every vehicle I've owned with nothing going wrong, actually I put one on my old Mallard coach with the 454 Chevy engine and immediately got a huge boost in gas mileage! I'm not saying your wrong and I appreciate your opinions and I plan to dig a bit deeper but so far-so good on my Dodge Dually!

Over the years there have been many discussions on the matter. K&N used to publish their fine dust filtering results on their website. Last I looked a few years ago they removed it. Their filters certainly have their advantages but they do not filter fine dust as well as a top quality conventional filter. For those that live in areas free of such dust it's a non-issue. For those in the SW deserts its a big issue.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
There are a couple of articles on the Internet that shows the test results of K&N filters vs, OEM paper elements. The K&N lets more dust pass through and into the engine.

I will not put one on a diesel....

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

MPI_Mallard
Explorer
Explorer
I'm surprised to hear the negative comments on the K@N air filter! I've had one on every vehicle I've owned with nothing going wrong, actually I put one on my old Mallard coach with the 454 Chevy engine and immediately got a huge boost in gas mileage! I'm not saying your wrong and I appreciate your opinions and I plan to dig a bit deeper but so far-so good on my Dodge Dually!
Mallard @ Frau Blรผcher

Red Green:
If I have to, I guess...

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
The interesting thing about truck commercials (all of the manufacturers) is that they never say that the "payload", "torque", and "towing" numbers they throw out are for the same truck.

Payload may be for the stripped, work cab unit with the smallest, lightest gas engine.

Torque is for the big diesel (a heavy engine) and you may not be able to put all of it on the ground anyway.

Towing is for some theoretical truck that was never actually built.

No one truck can do ALL of the things claimed.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

teamfamily5
Explorer
Explorer
What makes dodge the best ? Well have you never seen there tv commercials? If you have to ask you just wouldn't understand even if I told you. And yes I currently own one of each
"The great thing about where we live is, you can get anywhere in the world from here"

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
mileshuff wrote:
MPI_Mallard wrote:
It has the K@N filter, a must have

Not in AZ it isn't a must have! Too much fine dust here that the K&N allows thru. Tried them on a few cars over the years. Each time the inner air box below the filter was always lined with fine dust getting into the engine. Probably only an issue in the SW USA where very fine dust is everywhere.

Yep, in the 25 years I sold and serviced atvs and motorcycles I trashed tons of those dirt suckers. If you could see the amount of dust that gets trough them and into the intake you would run, not walk away from the k&n.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
MPI_Mallard wrote:
It has the K@N filter, a must have

Not in AZ it isn't a must have! Too much fine dust here that the K&N allows thru. Tried them on a few cars over the years. Each time the inner air box below the filter was always lined with fine dust getting into the engine. Probably only an issue in the SW USA where very fine dust is everywhere.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

MPI_Mallard
Explorer
Explorer
Henry wrote:
What exactly makes a dodge best?

In my case aside from normal or preventive maintenance not one single problem since new. It has the K@N filter, a must have,and the bully chip is used to maximise fuel economy. I change the fuel filter annually and I'm careful where I buy my fuel and as I keep from hammering the throttle she'll give me 14MPG hauling my 16.000lbs fiver, what more can I ask for from a tow vehicle? Do I recommend my make and model of truck??? Hell ya!
Mallard @ Frau Blรผcher

Red Green:
If I have to, I guess...

dezl_dr
Explorer
Explorer
What 6% grade. I pull my 20k fiver up 18% with my truck. Hardly need a cummins, I'd hate to give up so much horsepower. Lol

I have a picture of the road sign to prove it. So don't bother telling me there are no 18% grades.
2014 F-350 DRW, 2010 Elite Suites 38'

Henry
Explorer
Explorer
What exactly makes a dodge best?
Henry Holley
Snyder, Texas
2006 Chevy 3500, 6600 DuraMax
2004 Cardinal 33TS

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Don't even consider a F250 or 2500. You are in F350 or 3500 Dually territory.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot