cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Biodiesel fuel vs Diesel # 2

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
This not the right forum but I am unsure which one to use.
I use Diesel # 2 normally in my Dodge 3500 Diesel. I will be traveling through Oregon and Washington and when checking fuel stations along the way, I don't see Diesel #2 but rather Biodiesel2. Can I switch between these 2 fuels and not do any damage to my engine or other parts of my motor???????

Dodge guy
21 REPLIES 21

HD_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
I don't chance it, my 370 ISM Cummins is only getting #2 straight diesel.
2000 Volvo 420, 370 ISM Cummins,
10 Speed, Single Axle
2001 5th Wheel HR Presidential SKT 36.5

zedd
Explorer
Explorer
From the Diesel Supplement Manual for my 2008 F250:

"Diesel fuel containing no more than 5% biodiesel may be used. To help
achieve acceptable engine performance and durability, it is important to
only use biodiesel of good quality in your diesel engine. At a minimum,
the biodiesel should comply with ASTM D6751 or an equivalent
specification.
Use of biodiesel in concentrations greater than 5% may cause damage to
your vehicles fuel system components such as fuel tank, fuel lines, fuel
pump, fuel sender and fuel injectors. Concentrations greater than 5% can
also cause fuel filter restrictions that may result in a lack of power and
or fuel pump and fuel injector failure.
Look for a label on the fuel pump to confirm the amount of biodiesel
contained in a diesel fuel. Biodiesel content is often indicated with the
letter โ€œBโ€ followed by the percent of biodiesel in the fuel. For example,
B5 indicates a fuel containing 5% biodiesel. Ask the service station
attendant to confirm the biodiesel content of a diesel fuel if you do not
see a label on the fuel pump.
Biodiesel should not be stored in the fuel tank for more than three
months. If your vehicle will be parked or stored for more than three
months, then your vehicle should be drained and filled with a diesel fuel
not containing biodiesel.
During cold weather, if you have problems operating on biodiesel, you
may need to use a diesel fuel with lower biodiesel content, try another
brand, or discontinue the use of biodiesel."

Furthermore...

"Do not blend used engine oil with diesel fuel under any
circumstances. Blending used oil with the fuel will significantly increase
your vehicleโ€™s exhaust emissions and reduce engine life due to increased
internal wear."

It also recommends shorter fuel filter change intervals if using biodiesel.

The newer (2008+) trucks with common rail fuel systems, DPFs, and catalytic converters are much more sensitive to fuel quality than some of the older trucks. And they can be extremely expensive to fix. Personally, I wouldn't use biodiesel unless it was the only choice.

As always, YMMV...
2008 Ford F250 Super Duty, Lariat, 6.4l PSD, Super Cab. Long Bed
2006 Jayco Jay Flight 27.5 RLS Fifth Wheel

just_me
Explorer
Explorer
djgarcia wrote:
These question arise when the owner does not read his owners manual. Recommended in every case. Its recommended to get on the diesel forums and read the discussions on the various fuels and what works and what does not. Also other problems that might come up that your not aware of.
Right now on the TDR, a guy is working on his 2012 Ram 6.7 and installing a CNG system to use with diesel fuel. Interesting read.

Thanks for the reminder to read the owners manual. In this case i started with the owners manual and there was reference to anything to do with BIODIESEL.:(

I take it you meant to say "NO" reference to bio? I don't have your book so I cannot reference it. Just quoting what Cummins says. But thats for asking.

Anyway 5% is recommended maximum amount at this time.
Cummins also said it was OK to run a gallon of used Dino motor oil with a full tank of fuel diluted, in the older engines. But later they retracted that statement and recommended against it. Some had problems some did not. So they do change what they say periodically
95 Dodge CC #5 TST plate Flame Red/Silver
not totaly stock
2007 fiver
Tag Ma-haul has been suggested for a name but now The Shoe box

Blackcell
Explorer
Explorer
Oregon/WA is mostly diesel #2 and a blend, often B5. I can burn up to B20 according to the manual but based on research primarily concerning HPFP I steer clear of biodiesel.
2009 Carriage Cameo 35SB3, 12.4K dry, 36' Fiver
2012 F350 6.7L 4x4 Lariat Ultimate FX4, Chrome package, Nav, SRW, CC, LB, 11.5K GVWR, 3.55 ELA, 20" wheels, Toyo AT II, Mor/ryde pin box, Husky 26K hitch
United States Navy Combat Veteran

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
These question arise when the owner does not read his owners manual. Recommended in every case. Its recommended to get on the diesel forums and read the discussions on the various fuels and what works and what does not. Also other problems that might come up that your not aware of.
Right now on the TDR, a guy is working on his 2012 Ram 6.7 and installing a CNG system to use with diesel fuel. Interesting read.

Thanks for the reminder to read the owners manual. In this case i started with the owners manual and there was reference to anything to do with BIODIESEL.:(

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
Our good old lawmakers mandated a few years ago that we have to have a blend these days. More money at the pump for less mpg.....
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most say up to a certain percentage, does not mean there is any at all.

Same with Ethanol in Gasoline.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Merlot
Explorer
Explorer
I live in Washington and travel through Oregon quite often very rarely do I see bio diesel fuel.
Bill

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by things you did. Explore, Dream, Discover. Mark Twain

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
Dodge only warranties their 2012 and older trucks for 5% bio diesel. Since our truck is still under warranty, we will not be using bio diesel.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

just_me
Explorer
Explorer
95 Dodge CC #5 TST plate Flame Red/Silver
not totaly stock
2007 fiver
Tag Ma-haul has been suggested for a name but now The Shoe box

Robin1953
Explorer
Explorer
My RAM owner's manual states no more than 5% biodiesel (B5).
2015 Grand Design Solitude 320X
2016 Ram 3500 DRW and Cummins

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dave H M wrote:
I don't understand all the concern on the bio stuff. I grabbed a tank full quite often in my ole 7.3 power stroke.

It seemed to like it.

Yes but those with newer trucks should be concerned! Especilly the new Fords and Chevys with CP4.2 Bosch pumps. Read your owners manual!

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I don't understand all the concern on the bio stuff. I grabbed a tank full quite often in my ole 7.3 power stroke.

It seemed to like it.

Javi1
Explorer
Explorer
Bio is pretty much all we get in Texas... some stations claim B5 others up to B20... it actually is better than the new ultra low sulfur #2 for your engine... the bio acts as a lubricant, it does need a cetane booster to get the same fuel mileage though... I run the Ford PM22 in my F250 and it seems to help.
2015 Keystone Cougar 333MKS
2015 Ford F-350XL 6.7 CC, DRW, RWD
(Finally enough tow vehicle 14,000 GVWR 6062 payload)