cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Black tank Flush

kroghville
Explorer
Explorer
Sticker by the flush hose port says 'drain valves must be open when rinsing blak tank'. Why must they be open as there should be no pressure buildup, or am I missing something?
11 REPLIES 11

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
. wrote:
I close mine and fill about 2/3rds. Then pull drain. If still dirty Ill do that again. Just dont forget what you are doing.

I do the same thing

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
I close mine and fill about 2/3rds. Then pull drain. If still dirty Ill do that again. Just dont forget what you are doing.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
I close my valve when flushing the black tank. We rarely fill it so I let the rinser run ununtil it gets quiet. Then I know the tank is at least half full. So then I let it run for another minute or so and then open the valve. I might do this a couple of times if there isn't any one else waiting at the dump station.
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

azjeffh
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:

Yep, One really bad flood!!! Then sued the manufacture because they were not warned.

If the system is working properly, there will be no inside flooding as water will flow from the vent pipe.

I've proved it several times while using my Flush King. Fortunately it was after many rinses so I had no poop bombs flying thru the air :B
Jeff
Wonderful wife Robin
2016 F350 PSD Dually
2016 DRV 38RSSA

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Georgew48 wrote:
I think the main reason is that people have hooked up their black tank flush without the valve open then got side tracked and forgot about the black tank flush and before they knew what happened they had a flood in their camper.

Yep, One really bad flood!!! Then sued the manufacture because they were not warned.

Just remember behind every waring label on every product is a law suit!!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I don't close mine, not because of the sticker but it's just the way I do it. I empty the black and leave the valve open and while the grey is draining run the flush. I run the flush the whole time the grey is draining.

GENECOP
Explorer II
Explorer II
I close it fill the black then dump, I never walk away while doing this, I have heard to many stories...

tandkj
Explorer
Explorer
Georgew48 wrote:
I think the main reason is that people have hooked up their black tank flush without the valve open then got side tracked and forgot about the black tank flush and before they knew what happened they had a flood in their camper.

Not in the MH, the water went up the vent pipe and was comming down the side of the MH. Clean black tank but not so clean MH.
Tis another fine day to serve in and for the glory of the Corps. Every day is a holiday and every meal a feast.
08 Camelot Custom build
07 Ranger Toad
One Golden Retriever at the Rainbow Bridge and a new one traveling with us.

rscraig
Explorer
Explorer
Some guy on this list once told about forgetting to open the valve during the flush and it overflowed out the vent stack. You can picture the result. Actually, I sometimes close my valve and count to sixty then open it again. This allows some water to build up inside the tank and clean better. Just don't forget.
Steve
2012 Jayco Eagle 26.5 RKS
2006 Dodge 2500 4x2 QC 5.9L CTD

Georgew48
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Georgetown XL 377 TS 38 foot motorhome.
1929 Model A Ford Sport Coupe
2009 Honda TRX 420FA Red (Hers)
2009 Honda TRX 420FA White (Mine)
1999 Chaparral 2130 SS limited edition ski boat

jf831024
Explorer
Explorer
I think it's just a cover their butt thing. Someone somewhere must have over filled their tank and then blamed the RV company and they had to pay.
I, like you, don't think it could over pressure but you never know.

When I drain & wash my tank I keep the valve closed to fill the tank then empty. I do this several times and just keep a eye on both the level indicator and even open the toilet dump valve to monitor the water level.

That's my take on it, for what it's worth.

Good luck!
2011 Fuzion Touring Edition 3
2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LTZ Duramax Diesel