cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blew out back RH window with my camper tonight,,,, Confused

omextreme
Explorer
Explorer
So I managed to hit the truck with the camper tonight on the passenger side and blow out the window and dent the cab but I am confused.

I am running a non slider hitch, The Anderson setup on a short bed. I know I really should have a slider but I went with the Anderson to save weight.

Here is the confusion... When i first tested the setup I was able to turn to the left on flat ground rolling forward to just shy of 90 deg...

I hit the cab tonight during a right turn moving forward not much past 75 deg on totally flat ground.

I never tested a hard right turn I just assumed that since a left turn didnt hit, the right wouldn't either...

What am i missing? Why did i hit on the right turn?

Moderator edit to re-size picture to forum recommended limit of 640px maximum width.

129 REPLIES 129

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep, they make a long bead trucks for a reason.....just saying.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

muzzledan
Explorer
Explorer
in a tight turn going forward the top of the trailer will have a tendency to tip toward the cab of the truck due to torsional stress. And it appears that is what happened in this case.

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
I know this may sound silly but there is no guarantee you pin box is exactly in the center of your RV, especially the way they throw them together...I would measure and see, that could be the difference!
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

Searching_Ut
Explorer
Explorer
Despite having these great forums that sometimes educate and inform, and virtually always entertain, I'm surprised to see folks still not understanding the limitations of different RV/truck combinations. If you buy a shortbed, a 5th wheel "will" hit the back of the cab at a point earlier than it would with a longbed. If you buy a slider, the back of the pin arm might hit the tailgate when slid. If you set the hitch up to low, you might hit the bedrails, configure the combination too high and you get terrible handling an might overload the rear tires. Educate yourself, understand the limitations or your equipment, and when you do get careless and have a major "opps", Post it here so the rest of us can laugh at your expense, while secretly being glad it wasn't us this time.

Now, why is it that you don't hear the TT folks blaming the hitch manufactures when they jackknife their rig and damage either the tow vehicle or trailer? They also don't seem to post it much in the forums, but you see folks doing it from time to time.
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD, 4X4, AISIN, B&W Companion Puck Mount
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS, 1kw solar with Trimetric and dual SC2030, 600 watt and 2k inverters.

mountainsam
Explorer
Explorer
Never, ever have to worry about hitting your truck with a Sidewinder. No hassle ever.
2017 Thor Gemini 23TR w/ 3.2 Power Stroke turbo diesel
2014 Ram 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel Crew Cab, Long Bed 4X4 6 Speed Auto (sold)
2013 Rockwood Signature 8281 WS w/Sidewinder Pin (sold)
DW and Sofie our Black Lab /Boxer and Phoebe our Schnoodle

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
minnow wrote:
Dfb, you seem to be on a crusade resurrecting dormant threads on the Andersen. Sorry about your truck but in reality that's the risk you run using a non slider hitch in a short bed truck.

Let's see.
Bought a SB TV to tow a 5er.
Didn't buy a slider hitch.
Tried to cut too tight while backing up.
Guess that is the hitch Manufactures fault!!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
Dfb, you seem to be on a crusade resurrecting dormant threads on the Andersen. Sorry about your truck but in reality that's the risk you run using a non slider hitch in a short bed truck.

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
dfb wrote:

I just did mine on feb 14. Dodge Ram 3500 megacab. 2015 Montana 3610. Anderson ultimate hitch. I made a u-turn to my left and was ok. Backing to my right into my driveway and whamo!. Window busted and cab dent!. Only 2400 miles on truck..I think we should turn the claim in to our insurance and have them go after ANDERSON. AFTERALL, Anderson shows a 5.5 bed in their video ad..

Hope you are joking. If not, old school science tells us that if 1/2 of the trailer width is greater than the distance from the pivot point to the cab, then true 90 degrees is impossible. And even for the opposite conditions, going beyond 90 degrees quickly doesn't work. It is our job to understand the limitations and avoid them. Turning left, then backing right certainly doesn't work as you found out. Good thing you have insurance.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III

Yep, driver not responsible at all!!!
:S
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

dfb
Explorer
Explorer
omextreme wrote:
So I managed to hit the truck with the camper tonight on the passenger side and blow out the window and dent the cab but I am confused.

I am running a non slider hitch, The Anderson setup on a short bed. I know I really should have a slider but I went with the Anderson to save weight.

Here is the confusion... When i first tested the setup I was able to turn to the left on flat ground rolling forward to just shy of 90 deg...

I hit the cab tonight during a right turn moving forward not much past 75 deg on totally flat ground.

I never tested a hard right turn I just assumed that since a left turn didnt hit, the right wouldn't either...

What am i missing? Why did i hit on the right turn?

Moderator edit to re-size picture to forum recommended limit of 640px maximum width.

I just did mine on feb 14. Dodge Ram 3500 megacab. 2015 Montana 3610. Anderson ultimate hitch. I made a u-turn to my left and was ok. Backing to my right into my driveway and whamo!. Window busted and cab dent!. Only 2400 miles on truck..I think we should turn the claim in to our insurance and have them go after ANDERSON. AFTERALL, Anderson shows a 5.5 bed in their video ad..

Cdash
Explorer
Explorer
crcr wrote:
There is one real downside to the Pullrite Superglide -- you cannot hitch or unhitch at more than a 15 or 16 degree angle. I occasionally have camping spots where this would really present a problem.

That is true, but you can, and I've had to do this a time or two, pull the pins that hold the hitch had on the hitch and run the landing legs up till you can pull out leaving the hitch head on the trailer. Then take the head off and put it back into the truck.

I've had to unhitch this way a couple times, but never had to hitch up this way.

We all have work around for what we have.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
crcr wrote:
There is one real downside to the Pullrite Superglide -- you cannot hitch or unhitch at more than a 15 or 16 degree angle. I occasionally have camping spots where this would really present a problem.

The in law that now has the Curt/RAM 25k hitch had the Pullrite in his 3500srw and hated it and even bent something in the hitch head trying to hitch or unhitch. Sounds like it was on uneven terrain.

Good friend has the Superglide , and it can be touchy in certain conditions .

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
crcr wrote:

The in law that now has the Curt/RAM 25k hitch had the Pullrite in his 3500srw and hated it and even bent something in the hitch head trying to hitch or unhitch. Sounds like it was on uneven terrain.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Explorer II
Explorer II
I replaced my Pullright Super Glide with a Reese manual a month ago and so far I'm pleased with the change. It tracks better while turning and easier to unhitch.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857