cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blew out back RH window with my camper tonight,,,, Confused

omextreme
Explorer
Explorer
So I managed to hit the truck with the camper tonight on the passenger side and blow out the window and dent the cab but I am confused.

I am running a non slider hitch, The Anderson setup on a short bed. I know I really should have a slider but I went with the Anderson to save weight.

Here is the confusion... When i first tested the setup I was able to turn to the left on flat ground rolling forward to just shy of 90 deg...

I hit the cab tonight during a right turn moving forward not much past 75 deg on totally flat ground.

I never tested a hard right turn I just assumed that since a left turn didnt hit, the right wouldn't either...

What am i missing? Why did i hit on the right turn?

Moderator edit to re-size picture to forum recommended limit of 640px maximum width.

129 REPLIES 129

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
There is one real downside to the Pullrite Superglide -- you cannot hitch or unhitch at more than a 15 or 16 degree angle. I occasionally have camping spots where this would really present a problem.

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
I think this has been around the block a few times! Pullright Super Glide, would have avoided this situation! IMHO, anyone with less than an 8' bed should install a Pullright Super Glide, then no worries! Yes there are many who will say manual sliders, non sliders and the such can be used, Yes I will go along with you on that, BUT they will bite you if you are not careful! I do not ever have to worry that this may happen to me!

bpadamson
Explorer
Explorer
I have the BW slider and in one season have used it in two campgrounds because of tight spaces-- besides practice at home. Ours is the short box and without the slider we get way to close on a 80 or 90 degree turn. But I'm a tight guy and have no problem stopping and pulling the lever to slide if needed. Our TH is only 32' so not quite a problem on tight turns like OP's though. We looked long and hard at the Anderson, and still like what it offers. best of luck,
2013 Ford F250 4X4 6.2gasser--- 4.30 gears, SCT Flash chip, improved tires, airbags; intake and exhaust opened up a bit.
9.5-year-old Forest River 295 WP Toy Hauler
B&W slider hitch

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
Me Again wrote:
ol Bombero-JC wrote:

Design for Disaster!..:R

Never, ever heard of any hitch mfgr that even hinted at driving with the hitch in the "slid" position!..

~

Which is worst 865 ft lbs of torque and firm Aisin shifts trying to rip it to the back or balanced brakes slowing everything down?

On my RVK3270, the same dogs that hold in forward, toggle and hold it back. I think it is more of a where is the weight, in the front position the weight is between the bed rail pins, where when in the rear position the weight is on the rear rail or behind it. Also B&W expressed a concern about hitting the tail gate. Mine is in the garage at home so that is not an issue. Chris

I think a hard brake would exert more force than accelerating, and I also think a trailer smashing into an occupied cab is a lot bigger deal than smashing one into a tailgate.

Hmmmm - maybe I should re-phrase my post (as quoted above):

"Me Again" (or?):
....Is there any manual slider hitch mfgr that states the operator may tow "full time" with the hitch in the rear position?

While it may work OK - might be some serious safety & liability issues...:R
("IdaD"s observation)

~

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
dfb wrote:
Right now, 2015 short bed megacab with Anderson hitch. New Montana legacy 3610 rl. I'm still considering going with a superglide.Very few long beds at my local dealers. One lg crew cab, in tradesman trim only.

Order the truck you want and don't compromise.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

dfb
Explorer
Explorer
Right now, 2015 short bed megacab with Anderson hitch. New Montana legacy 3610 rl. I'm still considering going with a superglide.Very few long beds at my local dealers. One lg crew cab, in tradesman trim only.

omextreme
Explorer
Explorer
Have not, truck is in shop for a new window and sadly the 5er looks like it will be in the shop for next 2-3 months....

Kevin_O_
Explorer
Explorer
omextreme wrote:
If the weight difference is only #200-#300 lbs between forward and rear positions then I need to try the rearward position before I drop money on the slider... Just to see.
Just wondering if you tried the rear position yet? If so how much clearance did it give you?
KEVIN :C
DW-Debbie :R
DS-Tyler 11yrs old:D
DD-Makayla 8yrs old:p
MERIDEN,CT
2001 Ford Powerstroke F350 Lariat
2012 Keystone Outback 292BH-OLD
2016 Jayco 29.5BHDS-NEW

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
SkiSmuggs wrote:
Maybe we should velcro a phart cushion to each front corner of the fiver. When you hear it, stop!

Now take that idea to Shark Tank.

Kne
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
ol Bombero-JC wrote:

Never, ever heard of any hitch mfgr that even hinted at driving with the hitch in the "slid" position!..

~

Which is worst 865 ft lbs of torque and firm Aisin shifts trying to rip it to the back or balanced brakes slowing everything down?

On my RVK3270, the same dogs that hold in forward, toggle and hold it back. I think it is more of a where is the weight, in the front position the weight is between the bed rail pins, where when in the rear position the weight is on the rear rail or behind it. Also B&W expressed a concern about hitting the tail gate. Mine is in the garage at home so that is not an issue. Chris

I think a hard brake would exert more force than accelerating, and I also think a trailer smashing into an occupied cab is a lot bigger deal than smashing one into a tailgate.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to hear of your mishap. I know it is difficult when mistakes are made. But do know that these are material things that can be replaced/repaired. The MOST important thing is that no one was hurt.

For peace of mind, I would go with a slider so you do not have to worry about this turning issue in the future. I have an Anderson for weight and simplicity, but my truck is a long bed. If I had a SB, I would go slider.

Good luck and don't let this bother you so much.
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K

SkiSmuggs
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe we should velcro a phart cushion to each front corner of the fiver. When you hear it, stop!
2015 F350 XLT PSD 6.7 Crew Cab, Andersen Ultimate hitch
2012 Cougar High Country 299RKS 5th wheel, Mor/Ryde pinbox, 300w of solar

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
ol Bombero-JC wrote:

~

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer

~

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
omextreme wrote:
arnko37 wrote:
Shortly after getting a new 2013 GMC 2500 HD I blew out the rear window while backing up. The hitch is a slider. Ever since I tow with the hitch slid back. No problems. However I would not do this on a slippery road. Since some weight is taken off the front axle there is a risk that should you try to turn you may keep on going straight ahead. The light steering axle will have less traction when there is less weight on it.

Are slider hitches rated to tow full time when slid?

B&W, definitely NOT, according to them. Personally, I wouldn't trust the hitch to hold in an emergency stop and now you've given your FW about a 12-14" "head start" in ramming forward, should the latch break. You'll have =something= in the cab with you if that happens.

Lyle

Ditto. I don't think it's a good idea at all.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB