cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bottom of my BR slide rotting. What do I do?

albow
Explorer
Explorer
These are pics of the bottom of my bedroom slide. The edges of the bottom extend below the aluminum strip and I guess instead of the water running off the aluminum strip to the ground, it hits this piece of material (doesn't really look like wood on the edge) and has run underneath enough that it is damaging the bottom of the slide. You can see where some metal pieces are now exposed and I can actually tell the wood bottom near them has been damaged. It only seems to have affected the outer half of the slide and does not feel soft or unsafe. The other slides also are made this same way but don't appear to quite go as far below the aluminum rail and the bottoms of those haven't been affected and I'm waiting on suggestions for what to do to them so they don't get this way.

I cleaned the edge of this one and put some caulk all across the edge, thus creating a point for the water to drip off instead of running under, if the caulk stays. I don't know if I could put an additional strip of something across the bottom instead of the caulk since it might affect the slides ability to move in and out. Maybe a piece of rubber might work but I'd have to start if kind of high to ensure it would be screwed into solid material. I don't want to go screwing into the sides of the camper if I don't have to. God knows this is going to be expensive if I have to have the slide removed and repaired. I don't think this is coming from the top of the slide or anywhere else as I can't see any other problems on the inside or outside, but I haven't pulled the carpet up on the slide. What do y'all think I need to do, short of a big, carry it somewhere repair bill? https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1290499060965081&set=pcb.1290499147631739&type=3 https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1290499104298410&set=pcb.1290499147631739&type=3 https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1290499134298407&set=pcb.1290499147631739&type=3
Alan & Tommie. 2003 Dodge 3500 SRW SLT Quad Cab, Cummins 5.9 HO, 6 speed manual and 3.73's. 2007 Pilgrim Legends Mid Profile 33RKS-M5 5th wheel, Prodigy, Superglide 14K hitch (already very glad I got it).
7 REPLIES 7

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Double post. See any new replies here.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
I've replaced the floor in my main slide and bedroom slide. Presently working to replace the floor in my kitchen slide. It's not as difficult as some say, but then I was a carpenter for 42 years.
There are utube videos that show one way of replacing a rotted slide floor. It's a good starting point.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

dezl_dr
Explorer
Explorer
I took my slide out and replaced the bottom of the slide. The inside 6" high and an old road sign for the bottom cover. Hardest part was getting the trim off.
2014 F-350 DRW, 2010 Elite Suites 38'

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Pictures don't work on either thread.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

albow
Explorer
Explorer
What if the screws in the aluminum strip don't want to hold? I guess that would mean the whole side is rotting and I'm sol. I can't tell there's any caulk behind that strip but I'll assume there is since you seem to think so. I also assume I'd better do this to the other slides as well.
Alan & Tommie. 2003 Dodge 3500 SRW SLT Quad Cab, Cummins 5.9 HO, 6 speed manual and 3.73's. 2007 Pilgrim Legends Mid Profile 33RKS-M5 5th wheel, Prodigy, Superglide 14K hitch (already very glad I got it).

rrbowman
Explorer
Explorer
You need to address this right away. The metal strip at the bottom of the slide needs to be taken off and reattached with new caulk strip and new screws. Then I would suggest that you get 5" Eternabond tape and cover the strip starting approx 1 1/2 inch above the strip and wrap over the metal strip and onto the bottom of the slide. Eternabond will seal the area from future water if it's not too late.

albow
Explorer
Explorer
Moderator, I accidentally double posted this when trying to edit. Please remove this one where the picture links don't work.