cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brakes - standard Dexter vs never adjust?

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at rebuilding the brakes on my 2010 Laredo. My normal frugal (cheap) German heritage tells me to buy the components and rebuild them, my schedule tells me to buy the fully assembled plate and brakes.

So, bowing to the demands of schedule, who can speak to the standard Dexter brake assemblies versus their "Never Adjust" assemblies?

Thanks!
Greg
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er
12 REPLIES 12

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
Looked at Trailer Parts Superstore ... best price but then when they add Shipping and Handling, came out more than etrailer.com which has (or had yesterday) free shipping. Paid more for the product but gross sale was less.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I really like my self adjusting disk brakes. But then I am only half German. 😉

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
Trailer Parts Superstore has sale thru tomorrow, 10 percent off.

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, all. Ordering the never adjust fully built brakes today. Actually wanted to order yesterday, but that darn schedule demanding my time ate up my yesterday!

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have the self-adjusting and I really like them.

I was going to change brake shoes before I saw that new ones are just as thin. I hated to buy everything, but it was about the same price.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
waltbennett wrote:
You can save a bit of money buying components, but getting complete assemblies is well worth it in saving aggravation, skinned knuckles and blood loss. Not that much more anyway.

When I priced out brake shoes, magnets and springs it was quite a bit more money, and they weren't the self adjusters. I got complete self adjusters for less.

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
another vote for never adjust, they worked well on my previous trailer.
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

waltbennett
Explorer
Explorer
You can save a bit of money buying components, but getting complete assemblies is well worth it in saving aggravation, skinned knuckles and blood loss. Not that much more anyway.
'06 F350 TD, Softopper, airbags, AeroShield, coolant filter
'10 3665RE Hickory edition, wetbolts, Firestone LTs, Trimetric Battery Monitor, 4x100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking.

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
Had manual adjust from factory, didn't like them, wore out in 3 years. Replaced with self adjusting assemblies from eTrailer. I like them.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

RVhiker
Explorer
Explorer
Here's one more vote for the Nev-R-Adjust brakes.

I've had both manual adjust and Nev-R-Adjust. The manual adjust must be adjusted every 3000 miles or so, and the Nev-R-Adjust adjusts automatically, reliably and continuously.

They price differential for a full backing plate set up between the two is almost nothing.
There's lots of advice and information in forums...
sometimes it is correct.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2008 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab; Duramax/Allison; Pullrite 14k Superglide Hitch

lynndiwagon
Explorer
Explorer
I've had both and like the never adjust brakes more. It was more cost effective for me to buy the fully assembled brakes than the shoes.
Lynn & Diana Wagoner
Three Boston Terriers
2011 Chevy 3500HD, DRW, 4X4
2014 Big Country 3650RL
Retired

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am on the second year of having the never adjust brakes and like them. I have still checked the adjustment and found it to be set correctly. Since many of our miles are in the mountains I feel secure that the brakes are set and I have full braking available all the time. They are worth the small difference in price.