cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

California Maximum 5th Wheel Length

Fire_Instructor
Explorer
Explorer
I got into a discussion with someone on another forum (a FB page), who pointed me to a AAA website that clearly shows that multiple states, including California, limit 2-axle 5th wheel trailers to a max length of 40'. Is this accurate? I thought that I've seen posts from folks IN California, with longer rigs.... Why would the manufacturers build a trailer that you can't take to certain states?

here's the link that started the discussion: AAA Driving Laws
Fire Instructor

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
13 REPLIES 13

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
RustyJC wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I know California allows double tow if the state your licensed allows it. Does anyone know for a FACT if WA State or Oregon allow it? I am licensed South Dakota.

My understanding 65' is MAX OA length in CA.

I am considering renting a U Haul Motorcycle trailer and hauling my new MC to WA for the Summer.

I'd double check that if I were you. Generally, driver license reciprocity laws don't apply to such rules of the road as lengths, weights, double towing, etc. Not trying to be a smartaleck - I'd just hate to see you get caught up in a bad situation. Recreational double towing is legal in Texas, but I personally wouldn't attempt to drive through states in which it is NOT legal.

Rusty

Rusty I "ALWAYS" appreciate your comments!!! I will know for a fact before I get
my @$&^# in a wringer.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
RustyJC wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I know California allows double tow if the state your licensed allows it. Does anyone know for a FACT if WA State or Oregon allow it? I am licensed South Dakota.

I am considering renting a U Haul Motorcycle trailer and hauling my new MC to WA for the Summer.

I'd double check that if I were you. Generally, driver license reciprocity laws don't apply to such rules of the road as lengths, weights, double towing, etc. Not trying to be a smartaleck - I'd just hate to see you get caught up in a bad situation. Recreational double towing is legal in Texas, but I personally wouldn't attempt to drive through states in which it is NOT legal.

Rusty

I'm 99% sure you're correct, Rusty. You have to have a Class A DL to tow doubles, for sure. Not sure if a doubles endorsement is also required. OP needs to do a search on this.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Gsport
Explorer
Explorer
as I read it, it says from the king pin to the rearmost axel, not the rear of the 5th wheel

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Certain roads in CA have even tighter length restrictions.

christopherglen
Explorer
Explorer
35400.6. (a) Subdivision (a) of Section 35400 does not apply to a
fifth-wheel travel trailer that does not exceed the following
lengths:

(1) Forty-eight feet in length from the foremost point of the
trailer to the rear extremity of the trailer.
(2) (A) For a fifth-wheel travel trailer with a single axle, 38
feet in length from the kingpin to the rearmost axle.
(B) For a fifth-wheel travel trailer with two or more axles, 40
feet in length from the kingpin to the rearmost axle.
(b) A manufacturer of a fifth-wheel travel trailer described by
subdivision (a) shall include in the delivery documents the
information necessary to register that fifth-wheel travel trailer,
including its overall length pursuant to paragraph (1) of subdivision
(a) and a declaration that its length is in compliance with
subparagraph (A) or subparagraph (B) of paragraph (2) of subdivision
(a). The dealer may reject acceptance of the fifth-wheel travel
trailer if this documentation is not provided.
2007 Chevrolet 3500 CC/LB Duramax/Dually 4X4 Mine r4tech, Reese Signature Series 18k +slider, duratrac, Titan 62 gallon, diamond eye, Cheetah 64
2011 Keystone Fusion 405 TrailAir & Triglide, Centerpoint, gen-turi, 3 PVX-840T, XANTREX FREEDOM SW3012, G614

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
A vehicle length and a combined vehicle length are different. The OP asked about a vehicle length.

My state says a RV trailer can have a 40' length including the hitch and coupling. I see some state have a 42' max length for a single RV vehicle. Number of axles makes no difference.

And 65' truck/trailer combination.

The OP seems concerned about pulling RV trailers over 40'. Like all else about pulling a RV...... dot or leo or whatever the case may be, isn't interested unless your way over length or you've done something to attract their attention.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
It is 65' total.
cpaulsen

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
i've always heard that the "overall" length can't exceed 65'.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
They seem to be talking about King Pin To Rear Axle (KPRA) distance which would shave a foot or two off the nose-cone length and all of the trailer behind the rear axle. So the permitted trailer length would exceed the 38 or 40 ft limit by quite a lot. 6 or 8 feet or more maybe.

As for 3 axles the limit is specified for "2 or more axles" so adding an axle wouldn't add any permitted length.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Probably a good rule and makes sense...I'd want a third axle for anything over 40 feet.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
According to the California Dept of Transportation, it is indeed a valid rule. Please read the attached summary sheet.

Vehicle Length

Jim
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)