cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

California road trip - updated w/ pics

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
Our friends from up north booked us some camping spots up at Lake Almanor over the 4th of July - was thinking to leave a few days before and go check out Bodie SP, I know it's kind of last minute to plan a trip but I was also thinking of venturing up into Oregon since we will be so far up north. What do you guys recommend. Going to do my best to book some camping spots, we have no time restrictions. Looking for places to see so I can put together a plan. So from Oxnard Ca to the Oregon border area
LBZ - Stealth TH - RZR 900 4 - Honda 450X - Paddleboarder - Fisherman - Kayaker
76 REPLIES 76

Hap_Hazard
Explorer
Explorer
The Mono County Tourism Commission would like to offer you a position as a spokesperson for the county.

To bad you've done everything and seen everything to do in the Eastern Sierra's and now have no reason to come back. Maybe you'll just like to comeback and relax. Or you might visit the second week of October to taken in the fall colors.

Glad you had a good time.
Hap

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
After a bite to eat and a shower we headed back out to Lee Vining to see the upside down house and Museum. Small museum and small park but fun lil Spot to spend an hour or two. Right around the corner (walking distance) is Mono Cone - old fashion burgers and ice cream cones, we are suckers for ice cream so we had to stop by.

Inside the Museum

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed one week at Golden Pines RV park in the June lake loop - full hookups has laundry showers some games and books you can borrow, cool lil RV park nice and clean. It is located in between Gull lake and June lake, more closer to gull lake maybe like 100yards to marina - June lake marina is Also walking distance just a bit further. In the June lake loop there is June lake / gull lake / silver lake and grant lake. It's about 15mins to Lee Vining and about 30 minutes to Mammoth and about 1hr 30 mins to Yosemite. June lake loop is a Small town with cool shops And lots to Do in the area. The RV park office has 1/2 off Coupons for boat rentals at gull lake which is pretty cool. Theres a sink for fish cleaning and a freezer to store your catch. All sites are back In and any site is a good site, nice small and clean CG.

While at Golden pines we signed up at the Library down by the marina as Visitors and checked out DVDs. We love threft Stores and there was one next door but it's only open like one day a week and we missed it.

just hanging out at gull lake

We drove down to Mono Lake Visitor center before we checked out the Mono Lake State Natural Reserve. From the rv park the south tufa towers is closer (east on hwy120) leaving the visitors center you have to drive back on 395 south to the towers, but the visitor center is worth the extra drive.

Pic from the back of the visitor center

Warning! Lots of Salt.

Pic from Navy beach, as you enter the south tufa area on the dirt road on the right, you will see a small sign that says Navy beach 4x4 only. This is the place to launch your kayaks, paddle boards etc. it's about 1/4 mile walk to the tufas. Although the sign says 4x4 only - the dirt is compact enough for cars. Otherwise you will have to pay a day use fee in the parking lot and have a further walk with your kayaks.

Walking the trail.

Went for a swim and came out super crusty, lots of Salt! My whole body looked Iike that, went back to camp to shower.

Headed out

The wind can kicks up in the afternoons so we didn't launch the kayaks - would have been a tough paddle for the kids to paddle upwind. Mornings would be ideal to launch.

Heading out we seen a sign that said Panum crater - we turned to scope it out, all dirt road but car accessible too.

Unfortunately we didn't walk the trail - by this time the girls were Hungry and a bit tired.

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
Great trip pics.

I've only gone parasailing in Mexico where the equipment and operators are super sketchy. Yours looks a lot more fun.

Going to Mexico alone is Super sketchy ๐Ÿ™‚ - we have family in Mazatlan, they insist we go visit.

dedmiston
Great trip pics.

I've only gone parasailing in Mexico where the equipment and operators are super sketchy. Yours looks a lot more fun.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
Naio wrote:
Bummed that the trip is done, or did something bad happen? I hope all is fine!
bummed it ended, all went well. We don't want to be home! Lol

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
Once we left Lake Almanor we headed back south to Lake Tahoe, Zephyr cove rv park. No must have campsites here, just basic full hook up sites. the premium sites are just pull through mostly level, is it worth the extra cost I don't think so.

Stopped by Vigina City NV to take a looksy, didn't spend much time here as we wanted

Coming down the 50 into Tahoe

Campsite 108 nothing special - just a backin site.

Got setup ate dinner at wallys pizza a couple miles south, great pizza and wings with nice grassy outback seating, caught a sunset after.

Scouted Zephyr cove beach area (which is across the street) for potential kayaking / SUP but it was way to touristy and didn't have that real Lake Tahoe clear water feel. Too many jet ski rentals plus the MS. Dixie cruise and all the other rental stuff going on. We headed north about 4 miles to cave rock tunnel - Small little beach area with a boat launch $10 parking fee. Across the street at Zephyr cove was $35.

This day was overcast and scattered rain. But still fun times on the water! And no crowds.

Day two in Tahoe was a highlight of the Tahoe trip, Nicole has been wanting to do parasailing so I booked us a spot through Ski Run boat way before we even hit the road. Great experience and super fun, highly recommend it if you haven't done it. We did the 500' option.

Off they go!

We requested a dip in the water!

3rd day in Tahoe we hit up Sand Harbor, this is about 35 mins from camp and was absolutely a blast. $10 (or something like that for parking) lots of beach plus lots of people on a Saturday. Sand harbor also has a nice cafe, worth the trip if you want to get away from rental fleets and chaos, It's nice to have your own gear to get away from the crowds and find your own lil spot.
Heading out

Found a small lil Fall - ok we will Seattle here

Left Tahoe and headed back to the sierras, June lake loop.

All pics from iPhone 5se ๐Ÿ™‚

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Bummed that the trip is done, or did something bad happen? I hope all is fine!
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
We made it home safe - we are bummed. :). I'll post up more Info and pics hopefully tomorrow.

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for sharing, forgot how pretty Almanor is.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
Wow. What a trip. Great photos.

Thanks - we are still on the road. No cell service and CG wifi is a bit slow to load pics.

dedmiston
Wow. What a trip. Great photos.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
Lake Almanor was great - fishing, boating, kayaking, paddling , water skiing and the RZR with friends.

We stayed at forest park RV / friendly atmosphere lots of regulars everyone knew each other and the owner Crystal is really nice and runs a great CG.

Hap_Hazard
Explorer
Explorer
You guys just enjoy your adventure. Looks like you're hitting the highlight tour. Tioga Pass opened this week so Yosemite Valley is available from 395 to the valley floor. Lots of snow and waterfalls running full.

To everyone else, the Los Angeles DWP has all their lakes full and are spreading water across every open field and meadow. Temperatures have been mild during the days and in the mid 50s at night. Nice summer so far.

Hap

Just call on your way south

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
coolbreeze01 wrote:
Great pics. Good to see water in Bridgeport Reservoir.

It's full to the brim