cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAREFREE OF COLORADO DUTCHMEN 3905 FAILURE

lkhbutler
Explorer
Explorer
Have used our unit three times, all of which have not ever been in a storm or high winds. Not being my first RV, I know how to to adjustthe awning to allow for proper run off during a normal rain shower. I noticed on our last drizzle of a rain that the shocks on my carefree will not dump. This was on my large awning that runs over the kitchen slide out to the rear toy hauler awning. I noticed also on a closer inspection that the aluminum had started to buldge at the lower half circle cut out on the arm that travels from the coach to the motor on the awning. Obviously when you put any holes in a structural piece of material it gets WEAK! I emailed carefree who after sending them photos initialy told me that it looked like ...Wait for it STORM damage...OK since I have never left the unit day or night on three outings that is not the case. Im still working on a solution to this issue, but inspect yours it is not visible unless you are looking at it!!!! Another 2013 DUTCHMEN
1 REPLY 1

jeremy_k
Explorer
Explorer
Same thing happened to mine on a trip to Disney this past March. Storm blew in quick and my shocks failed to dump the rain. Could hardly get out of my camper due to the amount of water my awning was holding. It ended up buckling the bracket or should say ripped the bracket open where a notch exists to allow the bracket to close flush, same bracket that the shock is attached to. Took it to the dealership since I was still under warranty and they replaced the bracket. Even with the shocks I now make sure I have a good lean on my awning for water flow.