cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cargo Capacity Rating-Is it Enough

Moon8211
Explorer
Explorer
We are considering a 5th Wheel with a cargo capacity rating of 1650-which I know is before any options are added. We are concerned that this might not be enough. We plan to have a bike rack on the back for our bikes as well as a variety of normal gear. There are four of us camping and the longest trip we will be on is 10-14 days. Thoughts on this??
12 REPLIES 12

pulsar
Explorer
Explorer
waltbennett wrote:
CC sometimes is determined including water & propane, but is usually bone dry of everything. In real life, at the level this one has, you'd be probably over if you put a couple rolls of toilet paper in.

The rules are different than when we started RVing. Then, weights disclosures were more an imaginary thing. In 2000 RVIA developed a labeling requirement that members were suppose to use. Included in those requirements was one that manufactures had to post the cargo carrying capacity of the coach. But there were no real teeth in the RVIA standards.

Things changed in late 2007, when the federal government, through NHSTA, finalized their own regulations and labeling requirements.

From the preamble to the regulations:

we are requiring that the stated load carrying capacity not overload the vehicle. The GVWR of the vehicle must not be exceeded when the vehicle is loaded with the stated load carrying capacity. Manufacturers are permitted to understate the value of load carrying capacity to compensate for variances in manufacturing techniques, materials, and weighing techniques, however, under no circumstances is an overstated value of load carrying capacity permitted. Any inaccuracies due to scale tolerances and variances in manufacturing techniques or materials must be compensated for by appropriately increasing the safety factor between the allotted weight for occupants and cargo (or just cargo in the case of RV trailers) and the GVWR. Accordingly, the probability of moisture absorption by wooden structures before first retail sale should be considered in assigning the load carrying capacity.

Included in the regulations:

When weight is added between final vehicle certification and first retail sale, the load carrying capacity values on the labels must be corrected using one or a combination of the following methods: (a) Adding a load carrying capacity modification label within 25 mm of the existing vehicle (FMVSS No. 110) placard, and/or the motor home OCCC label, or RV trailer CCC label (FMVSS Nos. 110 and 120); (b) modifying the original permanent RV load carrying capacity label or vehicle placard with correct load carrying capacity weight values; or (c) replacing the original, permanent RV load carrying capacity label or vehicle placard with the same label or placard containing correct load carrying capacity weight values.

Federal Registry

In the end, you may find some manufactures that will cheat on the numbers, but not like in the old days. The Feds have too much clout.

Tom
2015 Meridian 36M
2006 CR-V toad
3 golden retrievers (Breeze, Jinks, Razz)
1 border collie (Boogie)

waltbennett
Explorer
Explorer
CC sometimes is determined including water & propane, but is usually bone dry of everything. In real life, at the level this one has, you'd be probably over if you put a couple rolls of toilet paper in.
'06 F350 TD, Softopper, airbags, AeroShield, coolant filter
'10 3665RE Hickory edition, wetbolts, Firestone LTs, Trimetric Battery Monitor, 4x100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
We have a cargo capacity of 3,000. On ave, we have 2,000 all the time.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

alboy
Explorer
Explorer
I doubt most have never weighed their stuff.OUR fiver is 13k dry,14650 GVWR,07 newmar cypress.I have scaled it ,just over 1500 lbs of stuff with a honda 3000 EU IN the bay.Thats fully loaded going south for 4 months.

Moon8211
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
Typical dealer BS to get you to buy. JMO but I wouldn't want anything less than 2500. I know you're not me, but we load about 14-1500lbs in our 5th wheel. Yeah, I may take some things I don't need but it's sure nice to have a big cushion. But it's just the 2 of us. With two more going I could easily see that 5th wheel overloaded. Have you ever weighed your current setup to see what you actually carry?

Yes, right. I don't want to have to WORRY about it. I like that we have the space and I can overpack in I want :). We are planning to weigh our travel trailer this weekend on our last weekend out. We always had most of our heavy items and bikes in the truck bed so I wasn't worried about it as much plus we dont' have the storage like we will have in a fifth wheel.

We don't tow with full water tanks-sometimes we have some water but I definitely don't want to be forced not to be able to fill our tanks.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Typical dealer BS to get you to buy. JMO but I wouldn't want anything less than 2500. I know you're not me, but we load about 14-1500lbs in our 5th wheel. Yeah, I may take some things I don't need but it's sure nice to have a big cushion. But it's just the 2 of us. With two more going I could easily see that 5th wheel overloaded. Have you ever weighed your current setup to see what you actually carry?

Moon8211
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking at a preowned 2015 and a new 2016 Jayco 29.5BHDS. When I voiced my concerned with the dealer he tried to tell me that it was actually a high capacity. Yeah Right! I know better than that! I have seen quite a few with well over 2000lbs. Then I started questioning myself and that I was overestimating the weight of everything. Then the dealer told me even if I went over it wouldn't be that big of a deal. Which I don't believe that either.

Helmsey
Explorer
Explorer
I ran into a low CCC issue when we purchased our current 5er. After talking with the manufacturer they agreed to swap axles to a heavier set to increase the CCC of the 5er.
If what you are looking at is new, and this is the camper you want, that might be an option for you.
KK4PFX
2015 Chevy 3500HD LTZ Dually
2013 Sandpiper 365SAQ

pulsar
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds low, but it would help to know how the CCC was calculated.

If the coach was manufactured before 2008, the CCC is probably calculated using RVIA standards. In that case, CCC is in addition to the weight of fresh water. If it was manufactured after 2008, then the CCC should calculated using the (required by law) NHTSA standards. In that case, the weight of dress water is counted as part of the cargo.

Regardless of which of the two standards, the weight of propane is in addition to the CCC.

Tom
2015 Meridian 36M
2006 CR-V toad
3 golden retrievers (Breeze, Jinks, Razz)
1 border collie (Boogie)

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
It's not enough. The builder has used too small a chassis for too large an RV, apparently.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
^^^^^^ agree
Unless the 5er is real small that is minimal. The smallest I would consider in a normal 30' to 34' 5er would be 2,500#.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
It seems pretty low to me. How big of a fifth wheel are we talking about?

We're a family of five and when you add in our water, propane, golf cart batteries, bikes and bike trailers, and just the stuff in general we have stored in there, I'm sure we're above 1650 lbs. My CCC is around 3000 lbs.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB