cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

caulking exteriors seams

B_Sjulestad
Explorer II
Explorer II
What is the best choice for caulking the seams on the exterior of a 5th. I have the full body paint so it would need to be paintable or possibly clear would work.
Bob & Dianne
2016 GMC Denali 3500HD 4x4 DRW D/A
2013 Cedar Creek 36ckts
Emmy,Sassy and Flower our 4 legged kids
12 REPLIES 12

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
johntank wrote:
lots2seeinmyrv wrote:
We just bought ProFlex clear caulk at camping world. Haven't started the project yet.

The guy at camping world told us to do one panel at a time, big job to try and do all at once.

Remove the old caulk, use denatured alcohol with a clean cloth to clean the area. Apply the caulk in very small sections and use windex on your finger to smooth it down. He said don't try a run a really long bead all at once.

I will add this, use painters tape down both sides that you will be caulking this will limit the area the caulk spreads out as you smooth it down.

Thanks for the tip!

johntank
Explorer
Explorer
lots2seeinmyrv wrote:
We just bought ProFlex clear caulk at camping world. Haven't started the project yet.

The guy at camping world told us to do one panel at a time, big job to try and do all at once.

Remove the old caulk, use denatured alcohol with a clean cloth to clean the area. Apply the caulk in very small sections and use windex on your finger to smooth it down. He said don't try a run a really long bead all at once.

I will add this, use painters tape down both sides that you will be caulking this will limit the area the caulk spreads out as you smooth it down.

Duck
Explorer
Explorer
Call the factory and use what they use if possible. Some caulks do not adhere to other brand of caulks.
Don
08-FORD F350 PSD
13 Bighorn 3055RL {For Sale}

Lenny_K
Explorer
Explorer
ProFlex is definitely the best way to go. Been using it for years.
Lenny and Ros
2009 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 LTZ Duramax 4x4 CC Dually, Banks Speed Brake
2012 Montana 3400 RL 680 Watts Solar, 440 Amps of Batteries, GP-ISW2000-12 Inverter, Trimetric 2020, EMSHW50C, Sailun Tires

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
Dont use dap. Choose a quality RV caulk. Been there done that.
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

cruz-in
Explorer
Explorer
3m 4200 UV

Expensive but truly exceptional long lasting caulk. It is designed for the harsh Marine environment.
2011 Monaco Vesta
Interesting Coach
This particular one was the prototype.

alcaracu
Explorer
Explorer
pro flex. al c.

therink
Explorer
Explorer
Google Eternabond clear RV caulk
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.

B_Sjulestad
Explorer II
Explorer II
JIMNLIN wrote:
Caulking a new 2014 trailer already ??

I would first check with the trailer manufacturer and see what they recommend. That way they can't say you used the wrong type of product.

no, I was just wanting to know for when that time comes. thanks for the quick replys
Bob & Dianne
2016 GMC Denali 3500HD 4x4 DRW D/A
2013 Cedar Creek 36ckts
Emmy,Sassy and Flower our 4 legged kids

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
ProFlex
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Caulking a new 2014 trailer already ??

I would first check with the trailer manufacturer and see what they recommend. That way they can't say you used the wrong type of product.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides