cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Check you tie downs

SWO_Vette
Explorer
Explorer
I was under my Puma toy hauler today to check the mounting of the tie down. While they are rated for 1500 lbs they were secured to the frame by a two 5 inch long self taping 1/4 screws into a thin piece of sheet metal. The toy hauler is a 2015 new PUma canyon cat. Also I noticed the ramp door bolts and some was loose and some had no nuts on them.

I am in the process of remounting the tie down points. Quality control.......
5 REPLIES 5

SWO_Vette
Explorer
Explorer
As I could not find a matching bolt for the ramp door I called Forrest River warranty and told them what was missing. Asked if the could send one bolt. Sure they said. Well, the next day a one foot by one foot box shows up via UPS with a lifetime supply of ramp bolts and nuts. They sent them next day air! Amazing.

SWO_Vette
Explorer
Explorer
1jeep wrote:
Before I even gave a deposit I checked the mounts since keystone claims mine can hold 5000lbs. Will they, maybe, but at least I do know they are part of the trailer frame.

Sadly while I had been under there I saw where they don't take pride in their work, some of welding looked like it was done by my 4 year old grandson!

I noticed the same thing about the welds. I also noted a big reliance on self taping screws. Going to get some C channel and reinforce the mounts.

1jeep
Explorer II
Explorer II
Before I even gave a deposit I checked the mounts since keystone claims mine can hold 5000lbs. Will they, maybe, but at least I do know they are part of the trailer frame.

Sadly while I had been under there I saw where they don't take pride in their work, some of welding looked like it was done by my 4 year old grandson!
2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
Funny you post this, i was thinking about this same exact thing after straping down my rzr. I tried tighting down my ramp door bolts the other day most of them tightend up and couple of them didnt just kept spinning.
LBZ - Stealth TH - RZR 900 4 - Honda 450X - Paddleboarder - Fisherman - Kayaker

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
No pride of workmanship sadly. Better check everything.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)