cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Checking on Wheel Bearing Heat

DogTrainer
Explorer
Explorer
I was wondering how many of you check your hubs for overheating when you stop and get gas or pit stops.

While driving home from Branson (232 miles total one way) I stopped for gas and two hubs were kind of hot (different axles) but touchable and two were cold. I took the camper yesterday to get the bearings checked. I just had them packed last year and I told the service writer that the technician may have tightened two of them down to tight.

Since repacking last year I have only driven 1200 miles and I don't consider that excessive miles.

I would assume while driving they should all be close to same temperature.
2007 Chevy 2500HD 6L Auto 4WD
2015 Keystone Outback 5th Wheel
Wife and 2 great kids, Son-Army 45th
Yellow Lab
56 REPLIES 56

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™d be very surprised if the majority of people could get within 20 degrees of the actual temperature when using there hand. The majority of IR guns are very accurate and reliable! They are used in many industrial facilities where they are used on equipment costing hundreds of thousands of $. If they were unreliable or inaccurate....I donโ€™t think that they would be used a tool by plant/industrial employees/operators! I used them for many years monitoring compressor valve temperatures, pipe temperatures, electric motor housing and bearing temperatures. They are considered indispensable by many in the industrial field. It is completely illogical to someone โ€œnotโ€ to take advantage of inexpensive technology to save themselves money and aggravation! memtb

Not to mention, when I check my truck rear differential temperature.....I donโ€™t have to crawl under the truck! memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wheel lug nut toucher at every highway stop here.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
I like the heat gun because I can shoot it into areas of the hubs and disc brakes that I could not reach with my hand. Most wheels on an RV have a center piece that covers the actual hub. I can also shoot the back side of the assembly. Whatever method you use you are looking for abnormalities.
2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
StirCrazy wrote:
I check the hub and tire temp when ever I pull over during a trip. I dont use my heat gun, just my hand.

Steve

Im woth you , i feel the hubs and tires. Heat guns aee good but they aren't perfect eaither. Plus i dont need batteries.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
I check the hub and tire temp when ever I pull over during a trip. I dont use my heat gun, just my hand.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Edd505 wrote:
Thermoguy wrote:
Edd505 wrote:
Commercial drivers at thought to hold you hand at the hub and if you can touch them your good to go. Those guys drive 10-12 thousand miles a MONTH so if it's OK for them why all the heat guns stuff? Most RVs are weekenders and a couple weeks vacation way less than a week on a commercial truck.

I set up a system for a local DOT that "looked" at the temperature of truck wheel hubs as they went through the weigh station. Any guess on how many had no heat on them at all? Probably not much of an issue on an RV, but many truckers have failed trailer brakes where one hub or two have no heat on them at all. Looking for heat is a good way to find overheated but also failed and no heat.

By the way, the truck drivers were very happy to get pulled over for failing trailer brakes. They didn't want to go down the road with brake issues. Often they don't own the trailer. The reason the DOT started the program was because lots of truck drivers rely on their trailer brakes to slow them down, taking stress off the truck brakes.

Technology has really advanced, was that the Fife scale? I was O/O leased to a large company so watched equipment closely as time is money. Company drivers, well that's another story. But we digress PM on this, been off the road a few years.

We did some work at the Fife scale, but they actually did the final install at the Dupont scale.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Thermoguy wrote:
Edd505 wrote:
Commercial drivers at thought to hold you hand at the hub and if you can touch them your good to go. Those guys drive 10-12 thousand miles a MONTH so if it's OK for them why all the heat guns stuff? Most RVs are weekenders and a couple weeks vacation way less than a week on a commercial truck.

I set up a system for a local DOT that "looked" at the temperature of truck wheel hubs as they went through the weigh station. Any guess on how many had no heat on them at all? Probably not much of an issue on an RV, but many truckers have failed trailer brakes where one hub or two have no heat on them at all. Looking for heat is a good way to find overheated but also failed and no heat.

By the way, the truck drivers were very happy to get pulled over for failing trailer brakes. They didn't want to go down the road with brake issues. Often they don't own the trailer. The reason the DOT started the program was because lots of truck drivers rely on their trailer brakes to slow them down, taking stress off the truck brakes.

Technology has really advanced, was that the Fife scale? I was O/O leased to a large company so watched equipment closely as time is money. Company drivers, well that's another story. But we digress PM on this, been off the road a few years.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingbob wrote:
On another forum a man said not to let them use the IR thermometers on your forehead when entering a business as they are removing your memory . His wife sent him to the store for bread and eggs , he came out with ice cream and a snickers .

He did ok in my book!
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
On another forum a man said not to let them use the IR thermometers on your forehead when entering a business as they are removing your memory . His wife sent him to the store for bread and eggs , he came out with ice cream and a snickers .

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Edd505 wrote:

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
UUUUUUH, back to the OP.

I would suspect brake adjustment issues.

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
I, too, use an IR gun and TST. I look for inconsistency in temperatures. Even when one side is warmer from sun or load, those two tires/wheels should be close, or they will need closer monitoring/inspection.

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
The type of keepers on my axles don't always allow me to lock the nut exactly where I want it and I had to lock one nut a little tighter than the others. Sure as heck, that one was 118 and the other three were 114, when I checked them. My back likes the IR gun, I don't need to bend over as far! BTW, I didn't buy an IR gun til long after I retired from 45 years of hvacr work... There were too many places that the IR was impractical and strapped on TCs worked way better, plus I didn't trust the IR guns. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I would assume while driving they should all be close to same temperature.

Running a east/west interstate like I-44 or I-40 in our area where we have lots of stiff constant north/south side winds will heat the tires/bearings on one side and the other can run cool. I've seen my 16" LT E tires at 80 psi and cool on the trailers windward side ...but on the other side psi went to 90-92 psi with hot tire and bearing temps on long daily runs.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
delwhjr wrote:
I use the TST TPMS and it is reliable. I am also a creature of habit and still check with IR thermometer as part of my walk around at each stop. A few extra seconds for safety is not a bad thing.

X2
2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL