cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

concrete pad vs gravel for winter

BlackButte
Explorer
Explorer
We are getting ready our first winter in Kentucky and have a choice between a concrete pad or crushed granite pad. Any suggestions as to pros and cons of each? Does the concrete pad suck more heat from the trailer than the granite imbedded ground? I shouldn't have any standing water on any of the pads. My unit is a 2014 DRV Tradition with the polar package and tank heaters.
2017 Arctic Fox 1150 wet bath, 510 watts solar, 300 AH lithium, 2000 watt inverter

2007 Dodge 3500, DRW, 4X4, 5.9 CTD, SunCoast 48RE, 4.10 rear, Firestone airbags, Rancho shocks, upper/lower Stableloads, Fastguns.
20 REPLIES 20

BlackButte
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the good comments! I appreciate the information.
2017 Arctic Fox 1150 wet bath, 510 watts solar, 300 AH lithium, 2000 watt inverter

2007 Dodge 3500, DRW, 4X4, 5.9 CTD, SunCoast 48RE, 4.10 rear, Firestone airbags, Rancho shocks, upper/lower Stableloads, Fastguns.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Dayle1 wrote:
troutrod wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the insights and experiences. Do I understand correctly that the primary benefit from the skirts is to block the wind to reduce the wind-chill effect?

Yes, and skirting can be sealed more effectively on a concrete base than on loose gravel. W/O skirting, the I-beams on the trailer are exposed to the wind and there is no insulation along the sides of the I-beams, so the steel frame will get cold.

Skirting may help hold in a little heat, but inaminate objects do not feel the "wind-chill" effect. They cannot get colder than the ambient temperature. Wind chill is how cold an aminate object will feel with the added effect of the wind making it feel colder than it actually is.

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
I had a concrete pad poured next to my shop when we moved in, previously I kept the trailers on gravel and I did notice increased rusing on my undercarriage - not sure if it was really tied to the gravel or not.

Alex
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
troutrod wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the insights and experiences. Do I understand correctly that the primary benefit from the skirts is to block the wind to reduce the wind-chill effect?

Yes. A lot of people will run a couple 100w bulbs (incandescent), or even a small ceramic heater, to help keep the tanks and lines from freezing. You can go fancy and have snap-on skirts made or go cheap and find some straw bales to fill the gap.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
I dug up our flower garden along our driveway and did a 5" concrete slab with 1/2" rebar grid at 16" squares. Did a rolled pattern that had a straight line at 9 ft so I cut the concrete using a special blade on my skill saw and caulking the control crack. 60 ft long and still no cracks. Odd because the soil is clay. Plywood under the tires at home and during the 6 months on gravel in Arizona... The pattern on the concrete sucks if I want to use the car creeper to inspect under the fifth.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
troutrod wrote:

Yes, and skirting can be sealed more effectively on a concrete base than on loose gravel. W/O skirting, the I-beams on the trailer are exposed to the wind and there is no insulation along the sides of the I-beams, so the steel frame will get cold.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a pad you should put something between the tire and the concrete eg. plywood. A gravel `pad' doesn't crack and can be refreshed with a new load of gravel at any time. I think the gravel to use is Grade 8 limestone.
Do NOT use the pretty little round pellets the a pad. The gravel needs to `lock' against each other to form a firm base. The little pellets just move around which makes it more difficult for a wheel to go thru it.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
If you are actually using the camper over the snowy months, then by far, concrete is better.

Old house was on gravel and we used the camper throughout the winter. But shoveling snow off the gravel was not easy. No matter how hard I shoveled, it still left a bit on the gravel, and then it would melt (sunsine) and puddle and refreeze.

On asphalt (which would be comparable to concrete ... it's a solid surface), our current house is no problem. Of course I can use my snow blower and get all around the camper, there no danger of throwing rocks and once the snow is removed, the asphalt is dries in the sun. The asphalt is MUCH easier in the winter than the gravel ever was.

About the camper itself. I did not notice any difference where the camper was parked. There is such a space between the ground and the bottom of the camper, it doesn't make any difference. Air still blows under the camper. Neither gravel, stone, dirt, asphalt, or concrete retain enough heat (or cold) to make any noticeable difference with an object sitting 2 feet above it. In the summer, black asphalt will throw a lot of heat, but it doesn't throw any noticeable "cold". When it's freezing outside ... everything is cold!

If you do go with the crushed granite, I still suggest you put boards under the tires. This will raise the tire a bit and also keep water from puddling around the tire. Water won't hurt the tires, they are made to withstand the elements, but gives a good solid base for the tires.

More important than where you park (granite or concrete), is to keep your tires covered. UV sun rays will do more damage to the tires when a tire is not being flexed (driven) than anything else. I keep my tires covered when parked at home all the time.

If you have the choice, go with the concrete. And if you have snow, use store bought ice-melt for driveways or sidewalks. Don't use water softener salt or rock salt, or table salt. The salt will cause concrete to form pits, which are tiny holes. These tiny holes hold water. Water freezes, and those tiny pits begin to crack, making a bigger hole, or a bigger crack. Those hoses now hold more water, which freezes and causes larger cracks, and in a few years, a concrete pad has turned back into a gravel pad. Use the store bought ice-melt.

Good luck!

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
The heat loss difference between gravel and concrete is negligible.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

BlackButte
Explorer
Explorer

TGPILOT
Explorer
Explorer
I put in a gravel pad and I keep the tires on treated lumber. Never a problem for me either. You might consider a couple od two foot wide concrete runners about thirty feet long that you can back on and off and tear out a lot easier if need be. It would not be full eight or ten foot wide, so maybe they won't complain.

Timay
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget, when it snows the trailer will cover the pad and not much snow gets on it. Just clear a path to the door - not much mud because the stuff is frozen. It will be worse during the thaw, but you can work that. Mine is parked in the backyard with grass next to the 'pad' and I lift the bottom step so sun can keep the grass green under the step, which is about 4 inches above the grass.

The concrete or gravel (granite, not garnet - LOL!) will not suck any heat out of the trailer that is quantifiable...the wind blowing under the trailer will suck the heat out, so think trailer skirt of some kind.

Mine sits on dirt in my backyard all winter long - the grass all died underneath as it blocks the sun...I have one side of the trailer on a 2 X 10 and the other side on dirt so it is level, and I leave the slides out most of the time. I bring them in if snow is in the forecast (if I don't forget) and I have slide toppers. Been doing this since my first trailer in '98, the current trailer since 2012.

We get snow and cold here from time to time...I live in a suburb of Denver.

Be careful - being a mile closer to the sun is ferocious! As well as altitude sickness, seeing your loved one with wrong-side-out lips from sunburn is a sight to behold! Oh! Drink lots of water - it is easy to get dehydrated up here.

All this is easy and common sense will see you through, and don't forget to ask your high altitude neighbors for tips!

Tim

CarlT100
Explorer
Explorer
I spent three months in the late winter on a gravel pad in Ontario with no problems. I did have my tires on treated wood 2"X8"'s.
Carl S
US Army Retired

'11 F-450, 6.7, 4X4, crewcab; '14 Fuzion Impact toyhauler
'12 Triumph Tiger 800XC; '03 Triumph Bonneville T100, 1968 Triumph TR6 Trophy 650cc
SWMBO: '13 HD Sportster; '06 Honda Big Ruckus

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I think a concrete pad will stay colder than gravel. More mass.
Be careful using salt it can damage the concrete.
Get something safe for concrete, or use sand on the ice. Wipe your feet well and remove your shoes once inside.
Sweep the salt/sand away when the ice melts.
Winter is miserable. ๐Ÿ˜ž