cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Considering GD 350m and 2016 Ram 2500 Laramie Crew

BeachLife4Us
Explorer
Explorer
Hi there! So we have decided after a lot of thought and searching this site with such good information that a 38' or less trailer is better for us for many reasons.

1) We can get into a lot more trailer parks/camp grounds
2) We can get into the Nascar races in the cheaper lots LOL
3) Easier for my man to drive and tow it LOL
4) Cost of one under 40' about $20k cheaper
5) Loan is easier on them
6) Insurance is better

With that being said, we are considering the GD 350m. We are going to be seeing one in the next week or so. We looked at the larger GD trailers and like the modern feel to them as well as all the features it offers.

We are taking the advice from people on this forum and getting it set up so that it is up and running for us. We are going to do the "full inspection" of it and going as far as looking at the door hinges, faucets, door handles, underneath the trailer, the roof, everything just to get a good feel of the trailer. We are going to sit in it, lounge in it, see how the rooms vary with noise from room to room. Our plan is to make the toy hauler area my office space since I work from home.

So we have some questions:

Does anyone own this exact model and if so your pros vs. cons?

Does anyone have the all in one washer/dryer in their trailer? If so, you like it?

5th wheel hitch - we heard pros vs. cons on the slider hitch. Thoughts?

Now on to the truck - we are considering the 2016 Ram 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x2 6'4" Box. Anyone have pros vs. cons on this type of truck?

We are looking at towing weight capacity on this truck of 17,900 I believe which is enough for the GD 350m with empty and full weight capacity.....

Thanks!
8 REPLIES 8

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
8' pickup bed has more room to haul fire wood, coolers, chairs, tools, gas jugs, etc. ๐Ÿ™‚
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Nice trailer it is one we are considering. We prefer the 348 and are also considering the 327 or 328.

You will want a 3500 SRW minimum and a DRW would be better.

A full size bed is more useful and eliminates the need of a slider.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

BeachLife4Us
Explorer
Explorer
is it friday yet? wrote:
I agree, look for a larger truck or smaller 5th wheel. We have the Grand Design 328m and I have a SRW 1 ton. I wouldn't go any larger than I have and I could probably use a DRW. There's lots of good information on the Grand Design Owners Forum.

Thank you just found that site!

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
You need the dually.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

is_it_friday_ye
Explorer
Explorer
I agree, look for a larger truck or smaller 5th wheel. We have the Grand Design 328m and I have a SRW 1 ton. I wouldn't go any larger than I have and I could probably use a DRW. There's lots of good information on the Grand Design Owners Forum.
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins SRW, Airlift airbags, Bilstein shocks, Smarty Jr., stainless turbo back exhaust, B&W Patriot 18K

2015 Grand Design Momentum 328M, disc brakes, Progressive Industries 50 amp EMS

BeachLife4Us
Explorer
Explorer
UPDATE!!! I see what you are saying guys! I appreciate the help here!!! We need to look at another truck for sure!

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
camp-n-family wrote:
The 350M is too much trailer for a 2500 truck. You may be under the tow rating but you'll far exceed the payload rating. The dry hitch weight is 2825lbs which will be over 3k when optioned and loaded. Then add a couple hundred pounds for the hitch, plus passengers etc.... Most Ram 2500s with the Diesel only have around 2200lbs of payload to start. You'll likely be over the 6k axle rating as well.

It's good to pick the fiver first, then match the truck but if you're thinking fiver, skip the 3/4 ton and get a 1 ton. More capable for similar money.

X2. Dry weights on trailers and so-called towing capacities on trucks are meaningless. It's the loaded pin weight of the trailer and the remaining payload capacity (door sticker minus scaled weight) on the truck that matter - especially the GVWRR (rear axle) ratings and weight.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
The 350M is too much trailer for a 2500 truck. You may be under the tow rating but you'll far exceed the payload rating. The dry hitch weight is 2825lbs which will be over 3k when optioned and loaded. Then add a couple hundred pounds for the hitch, plus passengers etc.... Most Ram 2500s with the Diesel only have around 2200lbs of payload to start. You'll likely be over the 6k axle rating as well.

It's good to pick the fiver first, then match the truck but if you're thinking fiver, skip the 3/4 ton and get a 1 ton. More capable for similar money.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley