cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converter / Inverter relationship

jwakeman
Explorer
Explorer
Came home from Texas and parked by the house, Went to check on things a week later and found the inverter had tripped the fuse between the inverter and Positive on battery and the control panel display should battery down to 1/3. Freezer temp had risen from 4 to 13.

Reset the Fuse started the inverter and the converter showed charging in storage mode. Manuel set converter to charge (rapid light flashing). Metered all points and all was 13.4. Only 1 light on the control panel display.

After 2 days the battery back to full charge, inverter running, and converter back to storage mode Freezer back to 4 degrees.

The control panel shows only one light for battery level.

Where does the control panel get its reading from as it appears to be what is falling.
2013 Silverado LT 2500HD 4X4 crew Cab Duramax Diesel/Alison
2016 Montana 3721
2 REPLIES 2

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
The battery level meter is just a voltmeter and most likely gets the reading from the 12 volt distribution panel.

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
While charging, the control panel lights should have multiple lit bits. It appears that although you have been running your converter, the voltage is not getting to the battery. Check your positive and negative feeds from the battery to the converter connections.

Easiest way to troubleshoot it is to take a stout wire from battery negative to negative on the converter wiring while connected to power. If suddenly you get bright interior lights, and multiple lit charging bulbs, it's the negative connection failing. If that doesn't work, try the positive battery to positive on the converter. If that works, it's the positive feed between the two. In my case, I was plugged in for three days, charge light said only one lit bulb. I found the negative on the converter connection panel was loose. Presto, two turns with a screwdriver and all was well again.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel