cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cord rubbing on tailgate

nano
Explorer
Explorer
Aside from mounting a receptacle in the box of the truck, how can you keep the cord from rubbing on the tailgate of the truck?
2013 Keystone Cougar 333MKS
42 REPLIES 42

HD_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Also go to the local hardware store and get some pipe insulation foam wrap and some electrical tape to secure it after putting the cord inside it.
2000 Volvo 420, 370 ISM Cummins,
10 Speed, Single Axle
2001 5th Wheel HR Presidential SKT 36.5

wittmeba
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
wittmeba,

If I did something like you I would break it off in no time. But at least you did something!

I understand the concern, however I found that once I hooked up the tailgate gets closed. No access from the rear and it is almost right against the tailgate - not much activity. When not hooked up the receptacle itself is slightly recessed from the side of the tailgate opening.
NRA Member & supporter of the 2nd amendment - over 5,000,000 strong

Firefoxยฎ 33

Log home images - Updated 05/19/2013

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
NC Hauler wrote:
My connector plug is installed inside the truck bed, flush mount, about 12" inside, I will admit, I have to drop the tailgate to plug or unplug it, but I have to drop the tailgate to hook up and unhook, so tailgate is down when I connect or disconnect ( I don't need a 5er tailgate and I leave my tailgate on the truck due to camera in the tailgate). Took about 30 mins to install and about $15. Actually saw a guy who had one draped over his tailgate smash the cable backing into a steep driveway, when he got to top is when 5er leveled and truck was still going up...truck tailgate made contact with 5er and smashed the cable...I know that's extreme, but for no more than it cost and for the convenience, I'd go with plug inside the bed. It's protected and all you have to do is raise and lower the tailgate, really not that big of a deal.

I will do the Mopar plug this summer they are more money but good quality.

That is if I don't get a 13!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Hasn't been a problem.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
My connector plug is installed inside the truck bed, flush mount, about 12" inside, I will admit, I have to drop the tailgate to plug or unplug it, but I have to drop the tailgate to hook up and unhook, so tailgate is down when I connect or disconnect ( I don't need a 5er tailgate and I leave my tailgate on the truck due to camera in the tailgate). Took about 30 mins to install and about $15. Actually saw a guy who had one draped over his tailgate smash the cable backing into a steep driveway, when he got to top is when 5er leveled and truck was still going up...truck tailgate made contact with 5er and smashed the cable...I know that's extreme, but for no more than it cost and for the convenience, I'd go with plug inside the bed. It's protected and all you have to do is raise and lower the tailgate, really not that big of a deal.
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

nano
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
Our tailgate has a plastic lip. Cord rubs on it without damage to the gate or cord.

Our tailgate also has the plastic lip, but the cord hangs down in such a way that it touches the vertical wall of the tailgate. But I'm sure the pool noodle/pipe insulation should do the trick.
2013 Keystone Cougar 333MKS

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:

Don't like so-called 5th wheel tailgates - can't lock the bed.

Sure you can!.:W

Flapper
Explorer
Explorer
Really - tailgate rub? I'm very new to RV'ing, but that would never have occured to me. What also didn't occur to me: Picked up the first ever RV (Jayco 5th, 26.5RLS) yesterday. After the first hitch, the dealer pulled the cord out from inside the pin box, drapped it over the tailgate, and plugged it in to my outlet under the bumper.
Pronounced me good to go. Down the road, on the highway, and 20 miles later stopped for some parking lot practice. Then on to home. Getting ready to unhitch, and there was the cord dragging on the ground. Who knew it was that long? Insulation gone, two wires half rubbed away through. Today got out the spare 14 ga., soldering iron, electricians tape, weatherproof rubber tape and it is fixed, but the RV is not pristine new any more. Sigh!
2012 F150 Eco, 4x4, SCrew, Max Tow, HD Payload
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Our tailgate has a plastic lip. Cord rubs on it without damage to the gate or cord.

Don't like so-called 5th wheel tailgates - can't lock the bed.

Endricken
Explorer
Explorer
If anyone wants an in-bed Plug for Gen 3 Rams, I have a new one I never installed as its so easy, visible, and straightforward to plug into the bumper plug. Also can unplug when desired without lowering the tailgate.
Retired USAF
Silver 05 Dodge RAM LB CTD Dually 4Speed Auto SWD 3.73, Westin Sportsman Grill & Taillight Guards,Husky Mudguards, Retractable Ball Hitch, Onboard Air & Horns, MaxBrake - towing 2005 Keystone Montana Big Sky 3670 with Star Performance adapter

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
07PSDCREW wrote:
I put my plug in the bed... Right behind the left taillight. Easy stuff. It came as a "T" setup to tie into the back of the under bumper plug. I bought it on Etrailer.com with free shipping...about 45$. I like having the cord safe.
I haul to much loose material,sand,mulch,etc to have one in the bed. I would beat it up or contaminate it.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

AniJet
Explorer
Explorer
I just remove the tailgate. That way the cord isn't an issue and the tailgate is not in the way to hitch and unhitch. Simple and free.
07 Mobile Suites 36TK3 Demco GlideRide PIn Box
12 3500HD D/A CC 4X4 AirSafe Hitch

Bods
Explorer
Explorer
07PSDCREW wrote:
I put my plug in the bed... Right behind the left taillight. Easy stuff. It came as a "T" setup to tie into the back of the under bumper plug. I bought it on Etrailer.com with free shipping...about 45$. I like having the cord safe.

X2
Etrailer have great video for the installation. I bought the pollack and fits factory wiring harness...took about 1 hour to install.
2011 Dutchmen Denali 311BH -- sold
ProPride 3p Hitch
Waiting for 2013 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 FW ( damaged before picking up)
Now waiting for 2014 Eagle HT 27.5 FW

07PSDCREW
Explorer
Explorer
2007 Ford F350 6.0 CC SB
Fully bulletproofed/EGR/ARP Studs
Reese 16k round tube slider hitch.
2000 Damon Hornet 2850BH 5er :B
Days camped 2011= 34 2012= 46