cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creak when reversing the fifth wheel

tourusa
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all I have a B&W fifth wheel hitch and dexter axle on the fifth wheel, when reversing I’m now getting a creak followed by a bang when stopping,

Any ideas is it the B&W which need grease or the axle in the fifth wheel

Sounds like an old bed

Can you suggest or confirm If I can use litium grease from Walmart in the jaws of the fifth wheel and anywhere on the fifth wheel thanks
Currently coast to coast
F350 dually 2020
2020 Vanleigh Pinecrest 392MBP
B&W Companion OEM 5th Wheel Hitch for Ford Super Duty Prep Package - Dual Jaw - 25,000 lbs
ITEM # BWRVK3305
51 REPLIES 51

tourusa
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks you for all your insite, as always valuable information from you all, whilst the tires where being changed I inspected all for blown seals and I’m looking good l, happy trails all
Currently coast to coast
F350 dually 2020
B&W Companion OEM 5th Wheel Hitch for Ford Super Duty Prep Package - Dual Jaw - 25,000 lbs
ITEM # BWRVK3305

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Just to clarify, you can't get too much grease into the axle to blow past the rear seal using the EZ-Lube system and a hand powered grease gun. Excess grease will exit the axle past the grease zerk. If grease gets past the seal, it's a bad seal.

The problem is, using the EZ Lube is akin to working blindfolded. One cannot tell if a seal has failed until the damage is done.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

tourusa
Explorer
Explorer
Just to conclude after a running battle Hankook replaced
Currently coast to coast
F350 dually 2020
ITEM # BWRVK3305

tourusa
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your input I’ve reached out to Hankook HQ and the installer in California who are working out how to get the tires to me and installed as I’m in SC now
Currently coast to coast
F350 dually 2020
ITEM # BWRVK3305

tourusa
Explorer
Explorer
Hi These are 2022 date stamped new tires with less than 6mths of wear
Currently coast to coast
F350 dually 2020
ITEM # BWRVK3305

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
tourusa wrote:
Any suggestion appreciated first time I’ve done this. I will remove the dust cap and fill any ideas how much it will take thanks

If you don’t know what your doing, don’t. You will over grease causing grease to push out the inside seal ruining your brakes.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
What MFL said. What's the date code?

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
NOT good! They should replace them.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Wrinkle for sure, that does not look good! A good tire dealer may offer replacement, but not sure of actual warranty.

While you may have purchased them 6 mo ago, what is the actual date of manufacture on the sidewall?

Jerry

tourusa
Explorer
Explorer
Currently coast to coast
F350 dually 2020
ITEM # BWRVK3305

tourusa
Explorer
Explorer
New wrinkle, got these tires 6 months ago and have just notice some fine cracks see picture, I’ve had them covered whilst in storage for 3 mths any suggestion these are Hankook tires is this a warranty thing
Currently coast to coast
F350 dually 2020
ITEM # BWRVK3305

tourusa
Explorer
Explorer
Job completed used my truck jack around 30 min a wheel the red old grease did come out of the sides will be heading up north will see how I get on thanks
Currently coast to coast
F350 dually 2020
ITEM # BWRVK3305

tourusa
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for your input, I’m in a rv site so may not beable to lift the wheels unless on the jacks, I was going to use the ez bearing fill method to clear out the old until the red new grease came out of the sides and keep wiping away the old with the wheel in place, unfortunately camping world screwed up my order for a new upgraded pin box so I’ve lost faith in there ability to do this. I’m hoping this may elevate some of the cracking when reversing into a spot which isn’t straight. Heading north through the Carolina’s so will ultimately find a trailer place for a brake service
Currently coast to coast
F350 dually 2020
ITEM # BWRVK3305

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
Just to clarify, you can't get too much grease into the axle to blow past the rear seal using the EZ-Lube system and a hand powered grease gun. Excess grease will exit the axle past the grease zerk. If grease gets past the seal, it's a bad seal.

100% agree!!!

Not sure WHY a person needs to spin the wheel VERY SLOW???? I spin away and pump as fast as I can. Goof quality Synthetic grease will flow easily.

First time i would take it apart and clean out old grease and replace the Chicom seals with a US Made seals. Then in the future I would give the tire the push pull test for bearing play and if good pump away!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
fj12ryder wrote:

Well, there's a lot of people that have posted here, and elsewhere, saying that they blew out the seal when using the EZ Lube hubs. Me, I never did and was always very careful. Growing up on a farm, where greasing stuff was a daily ritual, I learned very early on to be careful when doing so, even with an air gun.

Just sayin'...

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member