cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curt Q20 Jaws Operation

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm visiting my Mom and Dad this weekend and I created a video of my Dads Curt Q20 Jaws operation.

This hitch has about 20k miles on it pulling a 14k fiver.

Video

Petty interesting design. The jaw on the right side of the video is "fixed" and only opens and closes. The term fixed seems to refer to the vertical position.

The jaw on the left has a cam that lifts and opens the jaws when the hitch handle is opened. I have mentioned that the pivot point on these jaws is somewhat behind the jaws compared to the Reese. While this is still true... there is NO WAY for the jaws to be forced open when they are locked shut. If the handle is locked then the jaws are locked.

Rough Measurement of the jaws are 1/2 inch thick... 20k miles at 14k lb fiver and there is very little wear on the jaws other than some surface rust.

Hope this helps someone who is trying to understand how these things work.

While I can't speak for the slide bar Curt, the dual jaw Curt is NOT junk.. this is a very solid and heavy hitch.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~
4 REPLIES 4

vietvet66-67
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Q20 for 3 years now and now problems at all. I would advise the OP
to put some lubrication on the pin to reduce the rust where it has taken
the finish off the jaws.
2006 Chevy 3500 DRW LBZ/ALLY LT2 The "DREAM CATCHER"
1999 Newmar American Star Newmar Kountry Klub #19708
Curt Q20 P-2 Controller
LIFE MEMBER OF THE VFW MEMBER 335 "DUALLY CLUB"
"GOD, GUTS, AND GUNS KEEP AMERICA FREE"

rattleNsmoke
Explorer
Explorer
There are colored markings and mortised section on the round release rod that are clear indicators whether or not the jaws are locked and ready. I always do a visual from the rear of the truck just as a redundant system. The Curt, although made over seas, is assembled in the USA and a quality and HEAVY hitch for it's size. We've had ours for 4 seasons and well over 10,000 miles traveled with ZERO wear shown. The grease-able zerks help too.
2010 Cedar Creek 34SATS (The Beast) & 20k Curt Q20 roller slider hitch
2006 Ford F350 SRW,SC Powerstroke diesel Lariat

2003 Harley Heritage Softail (Hogzilla)
and a wifey with tons of patience....

SanMarMor
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Q5 20k and love it. Once the jaws are closed when the pin comes in, they are automatically locked. You can't forget to lock them. The handle comes in by spring, and they are locked. There is a safety catch to Locke the handle in place, but even if this is not in place, the jaws are locked. You pull the handle, against the spring pressure, to unlock the jaws. I don't think the pin could force the jaws to push the handle back out to unlock it. Too much mechanical advantage, or disadvantage in this case.

It's the only hitch I've had, but I haven't seen one I like better. But I haven't seen them all.

Mark
2007.5 Chevy 3500HD Crew DMax Dually 4x4 w/ Curt Q5 20K Hitch
2011 Sabre 31RETS-6 w/ TrailAir Pin

44 nights in 2013, 37 nights in 2014, 27 nights in 2015, 29 nights in 2016
34 nights in 2017, 27 in 2018

http://camping.morrises.com/

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
jerem0621 wrote:
I'm visiting my Mom and Dad this weekend and I created a video of my Dads Curt Q20 Jaws operation.

This hitch has about 20k miles on it pulling a 14k fiver.

Video

Petty interesting design. The jaw on the right side of the video is "fixed" and only opens and closes. The term fixed seems to refer to the vertical position.

The jaw on the left has a cam that lifts and opens the jaws when the hitch handle is opened. I have mentioned that the pivot point on these jaws is somewhat behind the jaws compared to the Reese. While this is still true... there is NO WAY for the jaws to be forced open when they are locked shut. If the handle is locked then the jaws are locked.

Rough Measurement of the jaws are 1/2 inch thick... 20k miles at 14k lb fiver and there is very little wear on the jaws other than some surface rust.

Hope this helps someone who is trying to understand how these things work.

While I can't speak for the slide bar Curt, the dual jaw Curt is NOT junk.. this is a very solid and heavy hitch.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

The statement is RED above, is interesting, No Way to Open IF Locked!

What if you forget to lock the handle. :S

I have forgot to lock the handle TWICE on my Reese 16K!
First time drove about 300' before I remembered that I didn't.

Second time drove over 20 miles of city roads, Freeway, and back country roads, the Reese held tight, because the harder you pull the tighter they close.

In addition I don't need to cock the jaws to connect, if the handle isn't locked the jaws will open and shut tight around the pin.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"