cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Decisions, Decisions. Help

bergsbk
Explorer
Explorer
SO here is the story. Military couple with two dogs, we are looking into purchasing a fifth wheel. We plan to live in it for the winter (currently in San diego)We also plan to make some trips to big bear, mammoth and a few other trips. We are looking for a Bunkhouse fifth wheel between 27-32max. We think we have narrowed it down to a few manufactures and are looking for opinions and personal experience with either the manufacture and or FW themselves.

Please before people start telling us moving into a FW is a big change blah blah blah. We are aware of the space, the maintenance required, winterizing that may be necessary, the cost. We know.

We have yet to make a final decision but want to make sure we are looking at well built RV's.

These are the manufactures we have picked. Please feel free to recommend any others that have Bunkhouse floor plans within our length range.

Crossroads
Jayco
KZ
Outdoor RV
Grand Design
Keystone

We appreciate it.
25 REPLIES 25

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
My buddy that does rv transport to the dealers says they have fewer problems with Grand design.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer

The OP posted twice on 9-25.

Since then - zero.

No clue whether he will be "wintering" in San Diego - or moving elsewhere...:?

~

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think any on your list are better than the other, but vast differences in the models within each of the manufacturers that you listed.

Try to hit somewhere in the middle on specs -

2" walls (there are a lot out there with 1" now, and high end are 3" or more with hung walls)

covered tanks with heat (not just heat pads on open tanks)

If they offer heat pumps in addition to the furnace - get it (them), it can really offset the use of the furnace (LP cost).

Really thats about it - like Fords, Chevy, Dodge - they all do the job and as a result of feature competition, one isn't going to get ahead of the other, at least not for long.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jayco has a two year warranty. That could be a factor in your decision.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

tcamper
Explorer
Explorer
We have been in a Crossroads bunk house since 2005, and have loved it. It has been a great rig. Of course we bough before the Thor acquisition.

About to sell it to a close friend (don't need bunk house any more) and buy a Grand Design.
Crossroads is a weekend/vacation level and Grand Design is a full-time level

2 completely different approaches to RVing....and cost.
Let's go camping.......

Terry & Eileen
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK
2015 RAM 3500 4X2 / 6.7 Cummins diesel
Houston, Texas

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
I lived in San Diego many years ago and I'm pretty sure you'll be fine with any brand in the winter in that area. Unless Climate Change has made a big difference, there won't be enough cold days to worry about. That saying, I did live very close to the Pacific while I was there. And that can make a significant difference, which, I'm sure you know full well.

About the various brands I CAN speak about Crossroads. Ours is almost 5 years old. We bought it new. When we picked it up from the dealer there wasn't one problem. And, still, we have not had one problem with it. Everything works as it should. We love it.
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream

elkyrose
Explorer
Explorer
We have had 2 Keystone 5th Wheeler's.. One was good and one was bad..very bad a toy hauler... so I would stay away from Keystone for that reason.. But what ever you do, enjoy the experience..

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks ZOSO. That's one of my favorite albums, by the way. I was in high school when it came out.

Have you researched the makes enough to rank them? I've thought about posting a poll about that for all the members to vote. Maybe a thread like that already exists here.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

ZOSO
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Steve, Yes Led Zep.

IMHO, Keystone makes a lower quality rig than the other manufacturers on the OP's list. The only Keystone product that I ever considered, was the top of the line Montana.

My opinion on this matter was/is formed by many, many hours of research and lots of first hand poking around.

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
ZOSO - Why do you not like Keystone? And is your handle a reference to Led Zeppelin?

Second Chance - What is the monthly cost of the commercial parks (in San Diego?) that you find to be too expensive?
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

Fastpaddler
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Montana Mountaineeer 324RLQ. I considered the Arctic Fox which is fine too. I am of the opinion that the 4 Season claims can be over-stated. If one plugs in the unit the underbelly, tanks and so on are kept warm and the water hose you use should be properly wrapped. The bunkhouse series used in Norther climes are usually better insulated but for most of us maybe/maybe a well insulated unit ie thermo windows too should work. Really depends on where you live. Our unit is parked on the West Coast which isn't that cold ie maybe 0 or a little less but for the really cold winters, boondocking is a challenge, to say the least. IMHO

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Many are casting votes for brands they own, so I'll cast mine for Grand Design - we've been very happy with ours. The one thing I would comment on, however, is the cost and availability of RV park space in the San Diego area. We are considering spending some time out there in January to visit family (they live in La Jolla) and have found that several places (including the Navy facility on Catalina Island) have NO availability for the month of January. Other parks are filling up quickly and most commercial parks are out of our price range.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
I would encourage you to at least look at the Heartland 5th. wheels. I have a Big Horn 34.5 ft. and warranty service is outstanding!

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
garyp4951 wrote:
I don't think it gets that cold in southern California.

C'mon -
It does get down to 65 degrees (F) every now and then in the winter, LOL!

Those 40 degree nights a poster referenced are rare.

However - you might add the military branch you are in - and the other
areas (for winter) you might be posted to.

Ex: If you were USAF, and Minot N.D. was a possibility - you need lots of winter insulation features - and lots of your own "prep".

If you're Navy or USMC - winding up your career or hitch- at San Diego, the winter prep is no big deal.

Also, you didn't say *when* you would like to take the 5th to Big Bear or the Sierras.
Summer = no problem.
Winter = very few (if any) campgrounds available (up the hill).
(Plus towing on slick roads is a bummer. Even if you're good at it
the flatlander tourists -even with one vehicle- are not!)

Fifth Wheel choices - visit lots of dealers and shows.
Kick the salesperson/s out, and see what will work best for you.

BTW - unless your two dogs are Pit Bulls, Rots, or Dobies - they
shouldn't be a problem in *most* campgrounds.

Although there is a full timer forum here, you will find the Escapees forums have (lots) more forum choices for full timers (as well as part-timers) including a Veterans forum (for active & retired military).

Escapees Discussion Forums

Good luck with those decisions!....;)

~