cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Deflector

egshswinger
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen attached to the top of TV a deflector and was wondering if it is really necessary.
Eugene
2002 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2004 Montana 3670RL
Full Timer as of 11/1/13
17 REPLIES 17

B_Sjulestad
Explorer II
Explorer II
bad99ram wrote:
bogart661 wrote:
I used one for 13 years with my old TV and 5er, besides keeping the front of the trailer cleaner it did improve my mileage by almost 20%. Mine was very easy to put on and take off, maybe 5 min.
I stopped using it when we got our new 5er because the front cap is more aerodynamic than our old flat front 5er. Still have it if anyone is interested.

I am going to get one of those, along with the fuel line thing and the exhaust add on thing. With those 3 things I will save 106% on my mileage which means I will be producing fuel which I can sell. ๐Ÿ™‚

That my friend is funny - roflmao
Bob & Dianne
2016 GMC Denali 3500HD 4x4 DRW D/A
2013 Cedar Creek 36ckts
Emmy,Sassy and Flower our 4 legged kids

tsetsaf
Explorer III
Explorer III
sunnybrooktoyhauler wrote:
Hey! I tow a 40 ft 5 er.I have one on my TV. It did nothing or very little for mpg however it took ALL the chucking out. I love it. Good luck.

Come on...
2006 Ram 3500
2014 Open Range
"I don't trust my own advise!"

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
You'd best be careful! I used all of those and was cited by the EPA for leaving puddles of fuel where the excess drained out. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

bad99ram
Explorer
Explorer
bogart661 wrote:
I used one for 13 years with my old TV and 5er, besides keeping the front of the trailer cleaner it did improve my mileage by almost 20%. Mine was very easy to put on and take off, maybe 5 min.
I stopped using it when we got our new 5er because the front cap is more aerodynamic than our old flat front 5er. Still have it if anyone is interested.

I am going to get one of those, along with the fuel line thing and the exhaust add on thing. With those 3 things I will save 106% on my mileage which means I will be producing fuel which I can sell. ๐Ÿ™‚

B_Sjulestad
Explorer II
Explorer II
lillyputz wrote:
I use one, mainly to help keep the front of the 5er cleaner from bugs.

Lillyputz

Yep, moved the bug line up about 3 feet :B
Bob & Dianne
2016 GMC Denali 3500HD 4x4 DRW D/A
2013 Cedar Creek 36ckts
Emmy,Sassy and Flower our 4 legged kids

bogart661
Explorer
Explorer
Vinnie and Chris
2013 2WD Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500HD Crew Cab Short Bed Duramax/Allison Reese R16 Slider
2014 Crossroads Cruiser Patriot CF305SK

sunnybrooktoyha
Explorer
Explorer
Hey! I tow a 40 ft 5 er.I have one on my TV. It did nothing or very little for mpg however it took ALL the chucking out. I love it. Good luck.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
laknox wrote:
egshswinger wrote:
I have seen attached to the top of TV a deflector and was wondering if it is really necessary.

Biggest issue is the distance between the deflector and the front of the FW; allows air back down into the gap. Yes, it saves...some...but so small that you've got to drive literally hundreds of thousands of miles to pay for it. Newer rigs are much more aero-efficient these days, so I think they're money wasted. Having a rounded =rear= cap on your FW will give you much more mileage boost because it's that turbulence on the back that hurts.

Lyle

X2

There's a reason the ones on semi tractor/trailers are very close to front of trailer and same height as trailer
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

fpresto
Explorer
Explorer
Even if it saves you a small amount in MPG while towing it costs you mileage when not towing as anything in the airflow will do. That means if you are really concerned about mileage it must be removed when not towing which for most people is the majority of time the truck is used. Taking it on and off and storage issues can be a real hassle so most just leave it on which defeats the whole purpose. If you are on the road most of the year at some point, in a few years, you may get even on the cost. For the occasional user the break even point if ever would be many years down the road.
USN Retired
2016 Tiffin Allegro 32 SA

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
egshswinger wrote:

Biggest issue is the distance between the deflector and the front of the FW; allows air back down into the gap. Yes, it saves...some...but so small that you've got to drive literally hundreds of thousands of miles to pay for it. Newer rigs are much more aero-efficient these days, so I think they're money wasted. Having a rounded =rear= cap on your FW will give you much more mileage boost because it's that turbulence on the back that hurts.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

lillyputz
Explorer
Explorer
I use one, mainly to help keep the front of the 5er cleaner from bugs.

Lillyputz
Lillyputz

Two beagles. Lilly & Zuri

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think if a person could fab one of his own that would start at the top of the windshield and sweep back to just in front of the 5th wheel he would see some real savings. But most of the deflectors just don't extend back far enough. The wind swoops over the top of the deflector and hits the front of the 5th wheel anyway, just a bit higher up. Look how far back the deflectors on the semi's go, almost to the trailer itself.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

waltbennett
Explorer
Explorer
I've one, but originally bought it for my previous truck that had an extended height cap and adding it added a good two mpg. If I hadn't already had it I don't believe it would be cost effective with our current setup as it only adds about 1/2 mpg. Definitely use it on long trips though.
'06 F350 TD, Softopper, airbags, AeroShield, coolant filter
'10 3665RE Hickory edition, wetbolts, Firestone LTs, Trimetric Battery Monitor, 4x100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking.

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
I have one and have had it for years. I used it on my 2001 TV for a bit less than 10 years. Two year ago I installed it on the 2011 TV I have now. To tell you the truth I couldn't tell you if I got better fuel mileage or not. I can tell you this though, the bottom half of the front end of the 5er was freer of bugs than the top part. My deflector is the type that adjusts itself to the speed at which you drive, meaning it's on pistons and lays back when you attain the right speed. I had it on a TV with a short box and now I have a long box TV and even though it sits farther to the front because of the long box and I have adjusted it to the last holes of adjustment, it seems that it doesn't stay up far enough to deflect over the top of the 5er. I don't feel like trying to get rid of the pistons and putting something on that doesn't adjust but I could change my mind. It's another piece of equipment to maintain and added weight to the TV. I have enough TV to handle the weight, so that's not a problem. Another post for you to absorb. Have fun.
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF