cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Deflector

egshswinger
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen attached to the top of TV a deflector and was wondering if it is really necessary.
Eugene
2002 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2004 Montana 3670RL
Full Timer as of 11/1/13
17 REPLIES 17

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
AS usual 99 percent of every thing I've read on RV.net on the wing shows most folks have no experience with them will not recommend them for various reasons.

Then from those that have them and used them about 3 out of 4 say they like them for various reasons.

Stand by and you will see what I mean.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
They do save---- a little. The problem is that you would have to drive hundreds of thousands of miles per year to get any return on your investment.

You can notice a real and immediate improvement by slowing down 5 MPH in your cruising speed.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Absolutely everything I've read on these forums over the last several years confirms, there's no real advantage. Save your money.

However, we have a truck with a shell and the shell has ladder racks. We carry a canoe on the ladder rack. We tow a TT. And the over all performance of towing always seemed to be better with the canoe than without it. Rather than deflecting up over the top, the canoe sliced the air side to side. It was not noticeable when the canoe was one, but when the canoe was off, I could feel the difference.

You may think I'm nuts on this, but that's your privilege. As far as fuel efficiency, deflector or canoe, the fuel efficiency is nill, I'd never spend my money getting a deflector for the purpose of hoping to get a return of fuel economy.