cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

diesel lanes

boingram
Explorer
Explorer
...just stepped up from a 25 foot tt behind a tundra to a 39 foot fiver behind a 3500 duramax. ..
....a little freaked out about negotiating diesel pumps. ..familiar with flying j rv islands. ..but what about the possibility and etiquette of using semi diesel lanes. ..thx..,bo
35 REPLIES 35

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Roger10378 wrote:
The only problem I have ever had is when the trucker ahead assumes that it will be another truck next so he thinks he has 15 minutes before he needs to clear the pump. I have had to wait several minutes after I have finished fueling before I can leave. One time I even had the trucker behind me come up to see why I hadn't moved, only when he got most of the way up to my truck could he see that I was blocked by the truck in front. He then offered to back out of the way so I could back out.

X2. I've never had a trucker approach me, but I did walk back and talk to the lady trucker behind me after I sat for a couple of minutes. She laughed and said, "Yeah, those XYZ co drivers are $#@$#@$#@ heads." And then I learned a few more words.

Another time, I got behind a trucker who came back to MY window. He said the guy in front of him was a complete jack hole and had disappeared for quite a while. He asked if I minded backing up so that he could back out of the pump.

Otherwise, I've gotten compliments and questions on the truck. I've never had even a hint of issues being out there.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

rjsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
Cant stand truck stop stop fueling, you pay more, dirty smelly and doing the credit card dance inside is a royal pain.

We look for the best price at regular old gas stations looking for pumps that are angled to the road for easy entry, exit. The diesel pumps are usually on the outside lanes making for easy peezy fueling. Sure sometimes I have to slow way down and scope out the lay of the land at these stations but if the guys behind me get impatient screw them.

I say no to truck stops....

Ron W.
03 Dodge 2500 SRW,SB,EC
2018 Keystone 25RES
DRZ-400SM
DL-650

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
Yep to the above! The way to find the diesel pumps on those multi-fuel pumps is they're the ones with the subarus stacked 3 deep waiting to gas up, while the other 5 gas only pumps are empty.

I think they do it on purpose.
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
We fill wherever the best price is. If that means a regular fuel station, then so be it.

Never a problem at truck stops other than us having an out of country credit card & no zip code attatched to it. Long story, but it means that somebody has to go inside first to get authorisation. This takes time at a busy place.

There will more likey be a problem at a regular fuel station where the diesel is on an island shared with a gas pump & you can't get to the island because a car is there even though there are plenty gas only islands which could have been used.

The usual story. Nobody thinks past their own little world. No better than the ones who pump gas then trot off to the bathroom or get some food leaving their car at the pump.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Golden_HVAC wrote:
If you are in Arizona, the pickups do not need to pay a 40 cent per gallon road tax, so you are better off fueling in the gas station section made for cars. (snipped)

Since you most often have to pre-pay inside, they usually have the ability to deduct the tax OR they will hand-calc the difference and net the total out. When we were buying road fuel for our farm tractors, we'd get a certified receipt from the state, send them in every couple months and get a check back from the State, rebating the road tax. Was cheaper than buying a truckload from any of the local vendors most times.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Hvyhauler
Explorer
Explorer
I use both,whichever pump is easiest to get to and available.I prefer to swipe my card at an auto lane rather than go in the building and leave a credit card with the attendant which is required at some truck pumps I've fueled at in the past.

Another thing I look for is a clean fuel island/lane which doesn't have diesel fuel slopped all over the place... seen this all too often.Nothing smells better (worse) than diesel fuel on the bottom of ones shoes tracked into truck.
2006 Dodge 3500 DRW SLT 4x4 LB QC CTD PullRite SuperGlide
2007 Mountaineer 336RLT Mich. XPS Ribs Duro Max XP4400E Gen.
2000 Lance 1130 Torklifts/SL/Stainless Generac Gen.
2 Rescued Camping Collies (always ready to go)

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
At most of the truck stops diesel has 2 prices, cash and credit, usually abt 5 cents higher for credit. At the big rig pumps do they charge cash or credit price for an RV when using credit? The auto diesel pumps are the same price either way. I've always used the auto diesel pumps if available next to the big rig pumps. If not I use the auto diesel pumps out front. Besides sometimes I need gas for my rv (toy hauler).
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

boingram
Explorer
Explorer
Alboy...I also have a gmc 3500..don't understand capless second flap...I have usual screw cap...tgx..bo

alboy
Explorer
Explorer
No problem with the fuel filler size.GM doesn,t have the capless system with the 2nd flap so fueling is a snap.

Roger10378
Explorer II
Explorer II
The only problem I have ever had is when the trucker ahead assumes that it will be another truck next so he thinks he has 15 minutes before he needs to clear the pump. I have had to wait several minutes after I have finished fueling before I can leave. One time I even had the trucker behind me come up to see why I hadn't moved, only when he got most of the way up to my truck could he see that I was blocked by the truck in front. He then offered to back out of the way so I could back out.
2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A

boingram
Explorer
Explorer
Alboy...no problem with fuel filler neck size?...thx...bo

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
Truck lanes only for me when the trailer is on. Far less dangerous than car islands.

alboy
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2015 GMC Dmax, no problem fueling at the big rig pumps.

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
What Executive said!! Ditto!!
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

mbutts
Explorer
Explorer
I love the truck lanes. I can fill my 40 gallon tank in just a couple of minutes!
Mike Butts
DW+DD+DS+Poodles
2017 Forest River Forester 3011DS (first MH!)
Previously 1999 Coleman Santa Fe pop-up, 2007 Kodiak 23SS hybrid, 2013 Sunset Trail 29SS travel trailer