cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do you grease or lubricate the jack legs?

KATOOM
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone grease the 5th wheel jack legs? Not the outside but the screw portion inside the legs which are doing the work lifting the trailer?

If so, how?
18 REPLIES 18

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yeah, they don't come with much lube on the screw at all. And the thrust bearing was pretty skimpily greased too.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Happy_Prospecto
Explorer
Explorer
I just had a new leg delivered for my trailer and when I looked at the jack screw through the bottom of the leg I noticed that there was not much grease on the jack screw. I got a 18" piece of 3/4" angle aluminum, put some grease in the angle and greased the screw.

On the leg that was still attached to the trailer, I put a hydraulic jack on the frame, raised the trailer up a bit, slid the drop leg out and slide the piece of angle up and greased the jack screw with a goodly amount of grease.

I will probable do this every couple of years.
Kevin
Retired, Fulltime RV'er, 1999.5 F350 4X4 CC Diesel Flatbed
2007 Alpenlite Defender Toyhauler, 2019 Polaris Ranger
Bob, the Yorkie Terrier helping me prospect til the money runs out

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yeah, if you drilled a hole through the outer housing, and sprayed when the leg was down you could get some lube/spray on the screw, come to think of it. Of course if you did it while the legs were assembled, you'd now have some metal filings down in the screw area, or on the sides of the leg.

I wish I had done this when I had mine apart, but simply didn't think of it. 20/20 hindsight.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can remove the cap on my curb side leg and shoot in some oil. On the street side I had to drill a 1/4" hole through the wall of my propane cabinet then drill a smaller hole through the side of the outer housing for the leg. I can now squirt oil in there as well using a long straw. I thought my battery was dying as it really labored when moving the jacks. Replaced the battery and it was the same. Finally after lubing they work smoothly again. My trailer is five years old and had never been lubed since new. Well worth doing.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

KATOOM
Explorer
Explorer
Then just curious as to how some of you disassembled the landing gear in order to access the inner screw?

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
I also spray a dry Teflon lube on mine so it does not attract dirt. ๐Ÿ™‚
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
The manuals for both of mine have called for silicone lube on the legs. On my old rig I used to take the caps off and put some grease on the pinion gears. Haven't done the new one yet.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
There's no way an external zerk will be able to put grease on the inner screw. Ditto with any spray, unless your remove the stabilizer foot and use a very long straw.

About the only way to lube the inner screw is to disassemble the leg and grease it by hand. I greased my Bulldog legs up before I installed them and you can't access the inner screw unless you run the inner leg all the way down.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

xaugievike
Explorer
Explorer
Dry lube a few times a year.
2015 Chevy Silverado 3500hd DRW.
Pulling Keystone Cougar 325SRX

A buddy and I started a blog - you can read it here:
http://twoguyscamping.blogspot.com

AZ_T_T
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
I give them a light spray with silcone or some other dry lube to make them slide up and down easier. Grease or oil on the exterior would attract dirt and grit.

X2
AZ T&T
2012 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 29.5RKS
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax
B&W Companion Hitch - Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
Honda EU2000i Generator

jjj
Explorer
Explorer
I just had to replace my driver side one this year as it seized up. The problem wasn't the gear on top, it still had plenty of grease on it after 10 years. The problem was the main screw was striping out and caused the failure. When I replace it I could not see no easy was of getting lube on the main screw down where it would help to prevent this. I wish there would have been a way so I did not have to spend 135.00 for a replacement.
2002 F-350 Crew-Cab Dually
V-10-4.30 gears Mag-Hytec diff.cover
w/Amsoil-6.0 trans cooler Curt Q5 20K hitch & bedsaver
2005 Keystone Challenger 34TBH-Fifth Airbourn

Explorer II
Explorer II
I hit mine with spray lithium grease once a year.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't looked at the fifth wheel I have now, but on the last one there were caps on the top of the jack that you could flip off and put some grease on there.

KATOOM
Explorer
Explorer
I didnt know there could be a Zerk. I'll look for that first.....