cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Doing my homework - 30ft vs 37ft

jacqui583
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks. DH and I currently camp in our popup about once a year for a week, but will both be retired in a couple of years and want to get a fifth wheel to do some traveling. I anticipate us using it for a one month trip and then occasional shorter trips annually. We did have a 30 foot fifth wheel many years ago. We currently have a 3/4 ton diesel for towing.

I am struggling with the floor plans. The floor plan I like the best is a 37 foot model, but I can't help but feel a little intimidated by that. To be honest it feels a little pretentious. I guess I'm just trying to wrap my head around THAT much money sitting in the driveway depreciating lol. Am I the only one? I also worry about that being too long for state and provincial parks, where we tend to do all our camping.

I *could* do with a 30 foot model, but would not be as happy with the lack of counter space, and each shorter model means I am giving up a sleeping space for my mother who may or may not join us occasionally, and either the larger shower stall or the fireplace - both items I really want. However there is a substantial price difference to get all the amenities of the bigger trailer, including that beautiful counter space (and island) of the 37'er. Yet anything will be a step up from the popup.

We have settled on three brands at this point; Jayco, Cougar and Chaparral. Perhaps I need to look closer at some other brands.

I really wish we could take various features from different manufacturers and put them together into one perfect fifth wheel. Maybe I have answered my own question typing this out, but
I would love to hear anyone's insights. How the heck does anyone decide and settle on one unit?!

jac.
21 REPLIES 21

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check out the Grand Design 303RLS It is 33 ft long and has a rear living floor plan with lots of space. We have a 2018 model and are really enjoying it. If you need more room in the front, the 337RLS is 38 ft, has an east/west facing bed and big closet in the front along with washer/dryer hookups. Grand Design is one of the few manufacturers that are factory rated for full time living.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Addy15
Explorer
Explorer
Try looking at Winnebago. They have three 5th Wheel floor plans in their Minnie Plus line. The newest one is the 27RLTS, which is the one we just purchased a month ago. Just under 30 feet long. Ample counter space with a kitchen island. Double kitchen sink. More than ample storage space. Good sized shower. Full length sofa provides good extra sleeping space. Long dinette which can be used as extra seating for TV watching or visiting. Fireplace.

Winnebago Minnie Plus 27RLTS (The link defaults to a different floor plan, but just click on the 27RLTS.)

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get more truck first. A 37 foot fiver even one of the newer "light" models could easily overload your 2500. Towing and stopping is rarely the problem. Load carrying capacity is. A lightly equipped fiver tipping the scales at 12,000 pounds could easily have a pin weight in excess of 2500 pounds.

jacqui583
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your comments, folks.

MFL the 30' and 37' numbers are from the specs, not the model number. The one that I really like the floor plan for is the Jayco 321RSTS.

Shadows4 that is very true - both points. Either option is going to cost some big bucks so I may as well get what I want.

Lexx my days of traveling with kids are behind me. I hear you that I would be able to make do, but that's a lot of money to spend to feel like I am making do. As you can see I am talking myself into the bigger unit! lol.

We won't be buying for at least a year so I have lots of time to continue doing my homework, but getting it narrowed down does make the whole process seem a bit less overwhelming.

Lexx
Explorer
Explorer
Find the right floorplan and worry less about length. That being stated, it will be easier to find capsules with a shorter trailer.

Our fiver is 34 ft and we have 3 boys. We do lack a bit of counter space since our trailer has no island. OTOH we can access the kitchen with the slides closed. If we can make do for a family of 5, I suspect you'd find a way if it's just the 2 of you.
2017 Ruby Red Platinum F450 - my kids call her "Big Red"
2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
As far as worrying about depreciation, you have the wrong hobby if that bothers you. Remember, you can't take it with you. JMHO
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
It may not just be the length that is different. I would suspect the 37' to be much taller and heavier. The 30-37 foot models may actually be longer yet, as that may not be the overall length.

I would not be happy giving up features that I want, just to get by. A larger counter space is important, and the larger shower may be too. I would look for a while, the right one is out there.

Jerry