cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Double towing

travelcamper
Explorer
Explorer
We are researching best way to tow a Honda Goldwing trike behind a fifth wheel and be legal in all states. Would like to hear from anyone with experience and advice on this subject.
23 REPLIES 23

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
If you are going through states that do not allow double tow, you ought to get a toy hauler.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
travelcamper wrote:
We are researching best way to tow a Honda Goldwing trike behind a fifth wheel and be legal in all states. Would like to hear from anyone with experience and advice on this subject.

Not gonna happen. As the others have said, you can try in those states where it's not legal, but getting away with it is another story. Even in states where a swivel-wheel tote =is= legal doesn't mean that the local LEOs know that they are. I do agree that you're likely better off with a swivel-wheel than a real trailer, though you could, in extremis, tow the trailer with the Gold Wing if you got caught. ๐Ÿ™‚ Also, with a swivel-wheel, you do need to be aware that it's possible to unweight the pin of your FW enough to cause stability issues. I had the local hitch shop we use tell me about one of his customers that had them install a swivel-wheel, then had to take it off after only a couple trips because the FW became so nose-light that it wouldn't handle well.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
naturist wrote:
You want to be legal in all states, don't try to double-tow, 'cause THAT isn't legal in all states. It is that simple.

As to whether you can get away with it, that's another story all together.

Ditto on that ....including the *platform* suggested by "Roy B".

BTW - "getting away with it" - be sure to have a *Plan B* for when you don't!..:W...

You could ride the trike - but the *platform* would be a problem.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Simple answer is you can't.

We towed a Smart Trailer with two motorcycles on it behind our 35' 5th wheel for a few years. We traveled through, and stayed in, some states that don't allow double tow, and never had any issues.

Personally I think you're more likely to get stopped if you're using a regular trailer behind your 5th wheel rather than one of the "swivel wheel" types. But that's JMO.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would look into something like this platform with swivel wheels on it. I don't think this is considered a trailer but a platform attachment to the end of your trailer... This would be for your motorcycle or golf cart...

My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
You want to be legal in all states, don't try to double-tow, 'cause THAT isn't legal in all states. It is that simple.

As to whether you can get away with it, that's another story all together.

Vannnce
Explorer
Explorer
Check this site out:
http://towingworld.com/towinglaws.cfm

Different states have different laws, length laws, cdl requirements etc...

As far as triple towing in a state that doesnt allow it, do so at your on risk. If pulled over most will make you unhook the trailer right there and leave it until it can be towed legally.
'02 f350 ECLB with some goodies. B&W/ Companion
2002 fleetwood prowler 32R-D
Full time RV'er, currently in Houston, TX

jjj
Explorer
Explorer
I have always heard, not that I know for sure that as long as it is legal for your state and License your o.k. but you might want to check with the DMV ? or Police might be better. I live in Calif. and as long as you have a class a and under 65 feet your ok. I used to do it all the time when I rode ATC'S but don't do it any more.
2002 F-350 Crew-Cab Dually
V-10-4.30 gears Mag-Hytec diff.cover
w/Amsoil-6.0 trans cooler Curt Q5 20K hitch & bedsaver
2005 Keystone Challenger 34TBH-Fifth Airbourn

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Even though double towing is not legal here, My in-laws pulled the same combination you speak of all over the US. Frankly either most police officers don't know about those kinds of things or maybe they just don't care.
What ever the case was, they pulled that combination all over the US for about a decade without ever being stopped.