Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Driving from Medora, ND to Custer, SD

dbob62180
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all -
We will be leaving Teddy Roosevelt Nat'l Park on Friday to go to Beaver Lake Campground in Custer. SD. We pull a 34' Open Range Roamer that is 13' high. Any route suggestions or roads to stay away from? I am leaning toward 385 from Deadwood to Custer. If anybody has driven this route, would love to here your thoughts. Thank you!
7 REPLIES 7

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
We took 385 from Custer to Deadwood, then the freeway over to US 85 north all the way to I-94 and short way west to Medora and Theodore Roosevelt National Park. Good route all the way towing a 34' fifth-wheel.

dbob62180
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all. We have been at Beaver Lake before - almost 20 years ago but we were pulling a pop-up back then!

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
shadows4 wrote:
Can't help you with your route but if you haven't stayed at Beaver Lake Campground before you will love it. Say hello to Max for me. Good luck, John

P.S. If you like fresh pie go down the street to the Purple Pie Place. Awesome!!!!

Thanks John,
The guest ( Barbara) asked and was answered by email also about routes and road conditions.
I appreciate yours and all of you verifing the route, and our camp.
Sincerely, Max

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
385 is the route to take. it passes through Deadwood which is a busy tourist town, but they have the routing done pretty well through town. Nothing else to worry about.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

WE-C-USA
Explorer
Explorer
That's the way we always go. As stated 'GO FOR IT. You'll have a fairly long uphill pull coming out of Deadwood The rest is just normal Black Hills driving.
Frank & PJ
2022 2500HD GMC Duramax 4X4
2018 Grand Design-Refection 303RLS

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
Can't help you with your route but if you haven't stayed at Beaver Lake Campground before you will love it. Say hello to Max for me. Good luck, John

P.S. If you like fresh pie go down the street to the Purple Pie Place. Awesome!!!!
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
dbob62180 wrote:
Hello all -
We will be leaving Teddy Roosevelt Nat'l Park on Friday to go to Beaver Lake Campground in Custer. SD. We pull a 34' Open Range Roamer that is 13' high. Any route suggestions or roads to stay away from? I am leaning toward 385 from Deadwood to Custer. If anybody has driven this route, would love to here your thoughts. Thank you!
Go for it. We took Dads' class A on it in 2000.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS